Opinion Wakeham Thought

Art Vandelay

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hire the best teachers , that's where we start. Hook, sheens, Barrett, brown all offer more than what we have. Pay n stevie g need to go but we lack anyone to come in now from within.
I agree except your statement about hiring either Hook, Barrett Or Brown. What’s so good about these guys?
Don’t you remember what happened to them?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Wakeham is better than Lewis... But tbh I'd rather We sign Jake Clifford and extend Cogger as reserve cover or 14.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
I agree except your statement about hiring either Hook, Barrett Or Brown. What’s so good about these guys?
Both hook Barrett are responsible for Penrith now..Hook was instrumental in setting up Penrith development structures and has an eye for talent. Barrett is their attack coach . Massive difference this year to last. Barrett also recruited alot of manlys players. Remember cap bullshit manly were in. Des walked into a decent talent pool.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Any half needs go forward not for the pack to be on the back foot ,why on earth pay starts with napa/tols who aren’t go forward props fucken kills me poor renouf

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
True but who else do you suggest?

Would even those average guys take us on and try and undo Desball and Payball?

Malla

Reaction score
I really don't think Wakeham is that bad. He is a natural footballer, he tries things and is always in attack mode. The sad thing for him is when he tries something, there's nobody following him, everybody hangs back with their hands on their hips waiting for the next tackle.

LucasFitzo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
At least when Lewis came into first grade he was good before coaches worked out how to gameplan him.

Wakeham cant take on the line, isn't fast, cant kick, cant tackle at all and has no footy brain.

The only plus is they gave him a go so now now he isn't the answer and can chase someone like Burton, who has more talent in his left pinky than Wakeham.

Art Vandelay

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both hook Barrett are responsible for Penrith now..Hook was instrumental in setting up Penrith development structures and has an eye for talent. Barrett is their attack coach . Massive difference this year to last. Barrett also recruited alot of manlys players. Remember cap bullshit manly were in. Des walked into a decent talent pool.
Barrett hasn’t been at Penrith for over four years!
The players he recruited at Manly, a lot have already left.
Hook is in the Seibold category, both are from Rockhampton & both absolute myths. Hook hasn’t accomplished anything. Brown is a little better, but still, not the answer.
NEXT?

Art Vandelay

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
True but who else do you suggest?

Would even those average guys take us on and try and undo Desball and Payball?
I suggested either Neil Henry Or Toovey.
At least Henry has shown he can work with an inferior roster, and still build a good foundation for the club to generate success.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I suggested either Neil Henry Or Toovey.
At least Henry has shown he can work with an inferior roster, and still build a good foundation for the club to generate success.
Ok Henry it is. I'm not sold on Hook either but realisticly who wants to play for us or coach us. We are now career killers.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Honestly all our halves are bad

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Honestly all our halves are bad
The forwards are shit but the biggest issue the team / club has, is we need quality 9 & 7. Halfback options are Lewis, Wakeman and Cogger. Lewis has proven absolute crap, Wakeman I see nothing, Cogger should be given 7 a go again. The clubs needs to go and recruit a quality 7 for next season, and shop Lewis.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The forwards are shit but the biggest issue the team / club has, is we need quality 9 & 7. Halfback options are Lewis, Wakeman and Cogger. Lewis has proven absolute crap, Wakeman I see nothing, Cogger should be given 7 a go again. The clubs needs to go and recruit a quality 7 for next season, and shop Lewis.
Have you not seen Wakeham play for Fiji? Genuine question.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Have you not seen Wakeham play for Fiji? Genuine question.

no, but did you see the arm grab tackle, easy line break for Tigers and gift try to them? Wakeman just turned and jogged, didn't even chase his mistake. He should have been hooked for that.
I'm not saying he is worse than Lewis as halfback, I'm saying I don't think he is the answer for the team at 7 going forward.

The club needs to recruit a 9 & 7 for next season. If we get a quality 7 who has a good kicking game and can lead the team around the field then that allows a running 5/8 Foran / Averillo / or even Hoppa to hopefully improve our woeful attack.

I will be happy to be proven wrong on Wakeman, but I doubt it.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Can someone tell me why we kept persisting with the high ball on the last for every set? I get that you maybe don’t want certain teams coming back at you in open play but it was the Tigers, there were so many times in that game where the ball should’ve been kicked to the corners where we could’ve pinned them but we went with bombs that were largely uncontested and the Tigers kept getting those balls on our 20m.

That is a very low-percentage play and just kept putting us on the back foot...

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
no, but did you see the arm grab tackle, easy line break for Tigers and gift try to them? Wakeman just turned and jogged, didn't even chase his mistake. He should have been hooked for that.
I'm not saying he is worse than Lewis as halfback, I'm saying I don't think he is the answer for the team at 7 going forward.

The club needs to recruit a 9 & 7 for next season. If we get a quality 7 who has a good kicking game and can lead the team around the field then that allows a running 5/8 Foran / Averillo / or even Hoppa to hopefully improve our woeful attack.

I will be happy to be proven wrong on Wakeman, but I doubt it.
So you've been talking shit without actually seeing him play for Fiji? Let me guess you've also only ever seen him play firstgrade for the Dogs, nothing else? I assume that's a yes.

I said this last week when Wakeham was selected and it was if we're going to stick with split halves then there's absolutely no point in playing him. This style of footy doesn't play to any of his strengths and you're better off just throwing a genuine ball runner into that role.

Do yourself a favour and try and watch some of the Fiji games where Wakeham played a key role, you might be surprised to see how different a player he looks playing a style of footy that actually suits him.

This article here talks about some of these changes if you're not bothered to actually watch some of the footy.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nr.../unique-role-has-wakeham-flying-for-fiji/Amp/

But yes, as I said he was very, very bad last night. He simply needed to be better in some areas..but when your confidence is down and you're playing a role that doesn't play to your strengths the it's no real suprise to see a performance like that.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Can someone tell me why we kept persisting with the high ball on the last for every set? I get that you maybe don’t want certain teams coming back at you in open play but it was the Tigers, there were so many times in that game where the ball should’ve been kicked to the corners where we could’ve pinned them but we went with bombs that were largely uncontested and the Tigers kept getting those balls on our 20m.

That is a very low-percentage play and just kept putting us on the back foot...
Coaching.