Pay accepts fate could be decided at board meeting

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Troy WhittakerSun 21 Jun 2020, 10:32 PM
Dean Pay accepts his coaching fate could rest with a Bulldogs board meeting on Thursday but he believes the team is trending upwards.

Canterbury scrapped hard but fell 20-18 to Cronulla at Bankwest Stadium on Sunday night to put more pressure on Pay, who is uncontracted beyond this season.

The Dogs now sit in 15th place with five losses and one win.

"They've got a [board] meeting this week ... That's their job [to make decisions], I'll just keep doing mine," Pay said post-match.

The mentor was impressed with the grit his side showed to push the Sharks right to the end.

But he conceded the Bulldogs, who have been operating under a restricted salary cap in recent seasons, require some marquee recruits to reach the next level.

Match Highlights: Sharks v Bulldogs

"We're starting to get our cap back in order and we need to buy some real quality players to put around these young blokes that turn up and give 100 percent each and every week," Pay said.

"You saw tonight how much fight they've got in them, and it's difficult, they're under difficult circumstances ... There's no doubt we're heading in the right direction."

Pay said the performance of Brandon Wakeham, who replaced Lachlan Lewis as Kieran Foran's halves partner, was a positive.

Wakeham was sin-binned but had a try assist in his sixth NRL match.

"He was fairly consistent with what he was doing, he defended quite strongly. Again, he's only a young bloke ... He did really well, he's a competitor," Pay said.

"His kicking was quite good as well. He'll only get better. It's going to be great for Wakes to play with Kieran.

Watene-Zelezniak crunches Moylan

"They'll strike up a pretty good combination there and we're hopeful that we can get better with what he's doing."

Canterbury and Cronulla were awarded eight six-again restarts apiece, with Pay saying a few against his team late in the tackle count were "tough calls".

"There was a lot tonight, wasn't there. There were a couple of really big moments in the game that went against us," he said.

Will Hopoate was again immense for the Bulldogs, as was ever-reliable captain Josh Jackson.

Pay praised the commitment of his leaders.

"Sitting in there, they're the two boys who are devastated the most and it means so much to them," Pay said.

Canterbury face Wests Tigers at Bankwest Stadium next Sunday.

The DoggFather

RIP HABS
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Troy WhittakerSun 21 Jun 2020, 10:32 PM
Dean Pay accepts his coaching fate could rest with a Bulldogs board meeting on Thursday but he believes the team is trending upwards.

Canterbury scrapped hard but fell 20-18 to Cronulla at Bankwest Stadium on Sunday night to put more pressure on Pay, who is uncontracted beyond this season.

The Dogs now sit in 15th place with five losses and one win.

"They've got a [board] meeting this week ... That's their job [to make decisions], I'll just keep doing mine," Pay said post-match.

The mentor was impressed with the grit his side showed to push the Sharks right to the end.

But he conceded the Bulldogs, who have been operating under a restricted salary cap in recent seasons, require some marquee recruits to reach the next level.

Match Highlights: Sharks v Bulldogs

"We're starting to get our cap back in order and we need to buy some real quality players to put around these young blokes that turn up and give 100 percent each and every week," Pay said.

"You saw tonight how much fight they've got in them, and it's difficult, they're under difficult circumstances ... There's no doubt we're heading in the right direction."

Pay said the performance of Brandon Wakeham, who replaced Lachlan Lewis as Kieran Foran's halves partner, was a positive.

Wakeham was sin-binned but had a try assist in his sixth NRL match.

"He was fairly consistent with what he was doing, he defended quite strongly. Again, he's only a young bloke ... He did really well, he's a competitor," Pay said.

"His kicking was quite good as well. He'll only get better. It's going to be great for Wakes to play with Kieran.

Watene-Zelezniak crunches Moylan

"They'll strike up a pretty good combination there and we're hopeful that we can get better with what he's doing."

Canterbury and Cronulla were awarded eight six-again restarts apiece, with Pay saying a few against his team late in the tackle count were "tough calls".

"There was a lot tonight, wasn't there. There were a couple of really big moments in the game that went against us," he said.

Will Hopoate was again immense for the Bulldogs, as was ever-reliable captain Josh Jackson.

Pay praised the commitment of his leaders.

"Sitting in there, they're the two boys who are devastated the most and it means so much to them," Pay said.

Canterbury face Wests Tigers at Bankwest Stadium next Sunday.
Bahahahahahahahahahaa fkn lol

What job is that exactly, Dean?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Pay will sign a one year extension. We'll then start to see some recruitment announcements over the next few months. I can't wait until next year. It'll be interesting to see how Pay goes with a competitive roster. As he hasn't failed to meet expectations yet (ladder position), I'm going to back him to continue on that trend in 2021.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pay will sign a one year extension. We'll then start to see some recruitment announcements over the next few months. I can't wait until next year.
Ahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

The DoggFather

RIP HABS
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Pay will sign a one year extension. We'll then start to see some recruitment announcements over the next few months. I can't wait until next year.
Is that your feeling or you know something?

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pay will sign a one year extension. We'll then start to see some recruitment announcements over the next few months. I can't wait until next year. It'll be interesting to see how Pay goes with a competitive roster. As he hasn't failed to meet expectations yet (ladder position), I'm going to back him to continue on that trend in 2021.
What recruits are going to play for him lmaoo

AucklandDog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Nah he’s talking about me, can’t go against his love for pay and the Andersons
You need to get out more boy....

Explore the outside world...

Get some pussy in your face or maybe some dick if you swing that way...

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
What recruits are going to play for him lmaoo
Ones that we pay overs for. If we don't recruit the right top players, that's on the board and recruitment team (where Pay has little say), not Pay.

The DoggFather

RIP HABS
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
What's the expectation on ladder position, not winning the spoon?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
What's the expectation on ladder position, not winning the spoon?
Last year we were expected to get the wooden spoon, we finished 12th. This year we're expected to finish second last. Those were the expectations before a ball was kicked and they're not debatable.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ones that we pay overs for. If we don't recruit the right top players, that's on the board and recruitment team (where Pay has little say), not Pay.
Why do you never talk about pays non existent coaching when it comes to a simple game plan, team selections and operating an interchange

The DoggFather

RIP HABS
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Last year we were expected to get the wooden spoon, we finished 12th. This year we're expected to finish second last. Those were the expectations before a ball was kicked and they're not debatable.
So you're happy to finish 12th and finish 15th this year?

If we fluke 15th spot you're happen to re-sign pay?