Opinion What the Bulldogs really need immediately!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Boy O boy some haven short memories, following the SL war and for many years after Gould made many comments designed to do as much harm to our club as he could, and to promote the rotters, probably because the rotters and Politis had a lot of money (which might be useful if you get into trouble gambling).
Yes lately his hate for us appears to have mellowed, but I believe its because we are now a basket case, he will never never ever be loyal to us ahead of the Rotters Politis and Ch9.
To turn things around for our club what we need to do is to put a bomb under the NRL and CH9. and start all over again.
We'd like to explore actions that may actually happen :grinning:

Gus got dudded. Won a GF with us and knew he'd be dumped next season...you'd be salty as well under those circumstances.

If the club hung onto grudges, out goes Pay, Dimmock, SBW in our team of the century, and the list goes on.

Management must do whats best for the club...not cut noses off to spite etc etc.

Its clear that we have absolutely no influence at NRL HQ. Long gone are the Bullfrog's days. You need that influence.

We have a light weight Board and coach who would not be invited onto a rules/coaches committee in a month of Sundays. We are media targets and therefore ref targets. We have had very little success in recruitment for several years of players who could make any meaningful difference. There are all kinds of reasons why but clearly it is just not the salary cap troubles.

Under all of the those circumstances above, we are in no man's land atm.

Probably Gus would be the only possible answer to help work on fixing all those issues and could influence players, sponsors and coaches to take us on.

It would be of tremendous help to the fan base as well to see someone of his stature in the game draw up a new plan for our future.

There are so many facets to being successful on and off the field and it's fair to say no one at our Club presently has that range of experience and capability.

Unfortunately we don't appear to have the foresight, of even the Dragons, to ask so it won't happen.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Nah mate, not in their case. Companies based in Bermuda since the early eighty's for good reason... What ever Gould suggested even if it cost a couple of Mil could come out play lunch money from these guys.
Easily. I was talking about what they were ‘prepared’ to pay. It’s known that Bruce kiboshed any chance of paying Mary out early - and nothing to do with affordability, but sending a message to the Steelers board who renewed his contract last year.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
He clearly said they have no money to implement what he advised the club needed
If they were that cash strapped you wonder why they paid him as a consultant

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We'd like to explore actions that may actually happen :grinning:

Gus got dudded. Won a GF with us and knew he'd be dumped next season...you'd be salty as well under those circumstances.

If the club hung onto grudges, out goes Pay, Dimmock, SBW in our team of the century, and the list goes on.

Management must do whats best for the club...not cut noses off to spite etc etc.

Its clear that we have absolutely no influence at NRL HQ. Long gone are the Bullfrog's days. You need that influence.

We have a light weight Board and coach who would not be invited onto a rules/coaches committee in a month of Sundays. We are media targets and therefore ref targets. We have had very little success in recruitment for several years of players who could make any meaningful difference. There are all kinds of reasons why but clearly it is just not the salary cap troubles.

Under all of the those circumstances above, we are in no man's land atm.

Probably Gus would be the only possible answer to help work on fixing all those issues and could influence players, sponsors and coaches to take us on.

It would be of tremendous help to the fan base as well to see someone of his stature in the game draw up a new plan for our future.

There are so many facets to being successful on and off the field and it's fair to say no one at our Club presently has that range of experience and capability.

Unfortunately we don't appear to have the foresight, of even the Dragons, to ask so it won't happen.
That's true. We lose games cleanly and the club sit on there hands. We get reffed out of games and the club sit on there hands. It's a shame that the club have accepted these low standards.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Easily. I was talking about what they were ‘prepared’ to pay. It’s known that Bruce kiboshed any chance of paying Mary out early - and nothing to do with affordability, but sending a message to the Steelers board who renewed his contract last year.
Thats a given, its the only reason Mary is still there. But it also shows power plays and ego make for poor decisions. That is the same issue I see with our club currently because either we are totally on top of it (and in complete secret), and have multiple major top line signings lined up (hooker, half, fullback, prop). Or, we sitting around hoping that after another few sleeps everything will be ok (directors optimism..).

Ponga re-signed for 4.5 mil on Tuesday, so he is not one of them. No need to panic though as its only June and still 5 months till 2021 pre season training..

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Thats a given, its the only reason Mary is still there. But it also shows power plays and ego make for poor decisions. That is the same issue I see with our club currently because either we are totally on top of it (and in complete secret), and have multiple major top line signings lined up (hooker, half, fullback, prop). Or, we sitting around hoping that after another few sleeps everything will be ok (directors optimism..).

Ponga re-signed for 4.5 mil on Tuesday, so he is not one of them. No need to panic though as its only June and still 5 months till 2021 pre season training..
Let it play out Baz. The transfer window hasn’t even closed yet. I personally never thought Ponga was a realistic target and not just financially so I’m neither surprised nor disappointed in that development.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Let it play out Baz. The transfer window hasn’t even closed yet. I personally never thought Ponga was a realistic target and not just financially so I’m neither surprised nor disappointed in that development.
Dinkum,

Let it play out, like there is a choice mate. Ponga is exactly the type of player with the money we have and the rebuild we need that we should have targeted. There is no point offering me the stay the course line, because I have and still want them to succeed. But, whether you wish to agree or admit that you agree, time is running out and so are the best options for players.

Just for giggles, lets say you have control of the war chest and can go out into the market for players to be with us for 2021 pre-season. Who would you target and why do you think we could secure their signatures?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Dinkum,

Let it play out, like there is a choice mate. Ponga is exactly the type of player with the money we have and the rebuild we need that we should have targeted. There is no point offering me the stay the course line, because I have and still want them to succeed. But, whether you wish to agree or admit that you agree, time is running out and so are the best options for players.

Just for giggles, lets say you have control of the war chest and can go out into the market for players to be with us for 2021 pre-season. Who would you target and why do you think we could secure their signatures?
I think you’re possibly overlooking work that has already been done.

And as I’ve said multiple times on here - I’ve drawn my own conclusions based on conversations I’ve had. I claim no specific knowledge - and if I’m wrong I’ll be extremely disappointed and then and only then will I consider it a failure. That time has not yet arrived.

We all want success mate. We all want to see our beloved Bulldogs back to being a powerhouse. We’ve all hated the last couple of years. But the siren hasn’t sounded yet for full time on Project 2021.

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
No Link but I vaguely remember him mentioning something on talking sport, and on the Sunday roast about any having no interest in returning to Canterbury when questioned
Bulldogs fan here: oh yeah, I remember my uncles sisters in laws mums husband say the same thing

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Gould is a great manager; he manages with great effort to piss people off lol
Yeah he's footy smart but he's also a self-centred lump of ego. I believe he'd cause too much of a stir.

It's been mentioned many times before but I reckon Hagan, at some capacity would be beneficial to the club.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of our biggest problems at the moment is our culture and I believe that instead of starting with a new coach and players to inject into the club ( which we do sorely need both ) I think we should start from the top and appointing two very shrewd operators is a good start to not only change our culture, but implement new successful structures and strategies put us in good stead for success! Two of the great football brains come to mind.

1. Employ Phil Gould as Football director - No one has a better footy brain than this guy and he can implement a future plan for the club

2. Peter Parr as Football manager - This guy knows better than anyone how to instill a great culture in a football club and I think the Dogs should throw everything at him to prize him away from the Cowboys, he is from NSW so he would certainly entertain the idea if the offer is good enough.

Between these two they can sit down and identify our weaknesses and failures and formulate a successful future plan going forward. I would trust them to find the perfect coach for us to start with, then bring the right kind of players to the club addressing our most obvious holes in our playing roster, and these guys certainly have a long history and know how to attract top tier and grass roots talent.

Just my opinion but thats where I would start for sure!
We need some left field thinking that's for sure. There's a couple of good footy club brains there. But I'd still start with the coach myself. I never like those positions that oversee coaches (if that's what you mean), especially for an ego like Gould's. His ego at Penrith led him to sack Griffin when the club was on track for finals, possibly top 4. He's good as a sort of front man - getting sponsors, putting good junior pathways in place etc, so give him that job if he wants, but keep him away from the football team (unless perhaps he wants the coach job himself). IMO if the coach isn't good enough, just get a good one. A coach with some creativity and innovation would be a good start.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Although I am losing confidence in the current admin/ coach etc - the beginning of next year will be the determination time. The club has got to understand it is 2020 not 1980 - reunions, family club, dna, nepotism etc wont improve on field results. The world is a different place - remember the history dont try to relive it.
How's Steve Price going? Is he still in Queensland on the jobkeeper payment?

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
We seem to lack direction in most departments which is frustrating our coach has selections which leaving many scratching their heads at times as does his playing of players out of position

The new board came in with great fan fair and at the time I was one of their supporters, I was desperate for change from Castle, Des, Crusher etc and robotic boring predictable play.
the new board promised to turn things around and blamed everything on the old board which was fine.... but we've seen very little if anything to improve and the board members (Lyne & Co) are rarely heard from not to mention the original board voted in has crumbled away to be very different as well

We don't seem to look any closer to a major sponsor, we seem to struggle to make a dent in the player market (excluding Thompson), our spine needs signings like a diabetic needs insulin, some contract extensions seem wasteful of cap space at best.
from the outside looking in everything at the club seems very haphazard and all over the shop with no real plan or direction

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’ve always thought highly of Gus but the work he just did at the dragons wasn’t too successful
I thought his roll for the Dragons was to identify/audit. He pretty much said this on 100% talking footy the other week. Said its not his position to change anything, that thats up to the club to implement if they wish. Said changes identified are both short term and long term. That was my understanding anyway, maybe someone else could elaborate better.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I thought his roll for the Dragons was to identify/audit. He pretty much said this on 100% talking footy the other week. Said its not his position to change anything, that thats up to the club to implement if they wish. Said changes identified are both short term and long term. That was my understanding anyway, maybe someone else could elaborate better.
Yes that’s what it sounds like.
Just after mixed views of his success at Penrith and the dragons getting worse in all areas I’d love to know what he advised them

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yes that’s what it sounds like.
Just after mixed views of his success at Penrith and the dragons getting worse in all areas I’d love to know what he advised them
The Dragons getting worse I think has a fair bit to do with the silly appointment of Shane Cheatagan as an assistant.

You can bet that prick has been white anting Mary at every oppitunity.