News Belmore boost: St Helens reluctantly ready to release Test star to Dogs

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A final transfer fee looms as the last hurdle to Canterbury bringing gun English prop Luke Thompson to Belmore for the rest of 2020.

NRL.com understands that reigning Super League champions St Helens are resigned to releasing Thompson over the weekend.

The final cost of Thompson's early arrival at the Bulldogs is still to be determined as the two clubs negotiate St Helens' financial compensation.
Under NRL rules, any transfer fee would not count towards Canterbury's salary cap, while the club has enough room to accommodate Thompson for the rest of the year.

The 25-year-old is already NRL-bound for 2021 after inking a lucrative three-year deal in February.

The Bulldogs are yet to make any official comment on the matter.

If Thompson is able to travel to Australia next week, he will be required to spend two weeks in quarantine before joining the Bulldogs' 50-man NRL bubble.

It's a timeline that would have Thompson – regarded as the best front-rower in England – available for selection in Dean Pay's side by the end of the month.
With Thompson potentially available for as much as three months of the regular season, any reasonable transfer fee would be money well spent to secure the Test prop.

Thompson would also arrive well before the NRL's new mid-season transfer cut-off date, which has been pushed back from June 30 to August 3 in the COVID-19-affected season.

St Helens, coached by Tongan mentor Kristian Woolf, were loath to lose Thompson having tabled the largest contract in the club's history to try and keep him.

They had hoped to have Thompson on deck for the final year of his current deal when the Super League looks to resume its season after August.

But with Thompson keen to fast-track his NRL move St Helens will reluctantly send him to Belmore early.

Canterbury beat several NRL rivals, including the Warriors and Titans, to land Thompson earlier this year, with CEO Andrew Hill and chairwoman Lynne Anderson flew to England to secure Thompson's signature in person.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Under NRL rules, any transfer fee would not count towards Canterbury's salary cap, while the club has enough room to accommodate Thompson for the rest of the year.

I thought so.

Doggone1975

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sounds promising that we haven't commented yet but St helens are resigned to losing Thompson as well.... Now I'm getting pretty pumped.
We will beat the roosters on Sunday. Mark my words

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sounds promising that we haven't commented yet but St helens are resigned to losing Thompson as well.... Now I'm getting pretty pumped.
7/1 odds

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If we beat the roosters this Sunday TK would be going bipolar. Lol

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I like the sound of that.. now a few more high quality players and will be even more to get excited about.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Brilliant news
Anyone else avail from there
Ben Murdoch masila?
The Warrington hooker I think Jamie Clarke?
Surely we should explore that avenue

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Brilliant news
Anyone else avail from there
Ben Murdoch masila?
The Warrington hooker I think Jamie Clarke?
Surely we should explore that avenue
I read that Murdoch masila signed with warriors for next year and was trying to get a release for this year but didn’t happen

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Does this mean his three year deal starts from 2020? If so leave him there and start from 2021 please, thank you come again!

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Does this mean his three year deal starts from 2020? If so leave him there and start from 2021 please, thank you come again!
Nah this will be totally separate. The 2021 3 year deal will commence as is. This is outside of that deal

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It's a brave decision by him if true. Up ends his life, friends and family to arrive early. Not to mention he knows he won't be fit nor up to speed with NRL conditioning and how much quicker, and physical, the game is here.

Be great if he seamlessly adapts but it's gonna be a challenge probably for everyone. Player, Club, coach, team mates, fans.

Let's be kind on TK. With recruitment, playing style, success...his guy could be the start of great things for the Club :grinning:

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
It's a brave decision by him if true. Up ends his life, friends and family to arrive early. Not to mention he knows he won't be fit nor up to speed with NRL conditioning and how much quicker, and physical, the game is here.

Be great if he seamlessly adapts but it's gonna be a challenge probably for everyone. Player, Club, coach, team mates, fans.

Let's be kind on TK. With recruitment, playing style, success...his guy could be the start of great things for the Club :grinning:
Congratulations, you’ve managed to find a dozen negatives in a positive