2020 recruitment

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Its the one thing I dont understand with our recruitment. I know its good to lock up our juniors and any talent we already have, but to rebuild to where we want to be again we need a star point player. Fittler at the Roosters, Johns at the Knights, JT at the Cowboys, Smith at the Storm, etc etc.

Great clubs with recent success attract great players or money and potential does.

We dont have a club that screams powerhouse at the moment so we need to sell potential with big money to someone like Ponga so that other talent that also want to win comps come with him. Thompson may be a handy signing but Xfactor players wont suddenly bang down our door to join him, we need to target someone like Ponga to get the ball rolling and build around him.
Thats the problem though, due to the NRL not investing in our grass roots enough and PC softcocks pulling their kids out of league and into nancy sports like AFL and Soccer the talent pool just isn’t as big as it used to be so the juniors aren’t producing the likes of Johns, JT and Smith like players anymore!

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thats the problem though, due to the NRL not investing in our grass roots enough and PC softcocks pulling their kids out of league and into nancy sports like AFL and Soccer the talent pool just isn’t as big as it used to be so the juniors aren’t producing the likes of Johns, JT and Smith like players anymore!
The NRL need to get things happening with a second tier comp as well as age representative comps as soon as possible. Get players playing whether in a nines format, Summer comp, mid week comp - whatever it takes to get players to show what they can do, for clubs to get back into recruiting n developing players. They cant afford to lose the whole year. At the same time they need to look at how the playing pathways will be structured in 2021 n beyond. The players will go where they can get a game - an opportunity n be seen.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The NRL need to get things happening with a second tier comp as well as age representative comps as soon as possible. Get players playing whether in a nines format, Summer comp, mid week comp - whatever it takes to get players to show what they can do, for clubs to get back into recruiting n developing players. They cant afford to lose the whole year. At the same time they need to look at how the playing pathways will be structured in 2021 n beyond. The players will go where they can get a game - an opportunity n be seen.
We need to sign players before a second grade comp resumes ... Players like Tristan Sailor just sitting there ripe for the picking

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They just released Andrew McCullough.
Did you want Teo?
At this stage I'd be happy for us to get either T'eo or McCullough or BOTH cause I'm really concerned we will get no-one :o)

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
At this stage I'd be happy for us to get either T'eo or McCullough or BOTH cause I'm really concerned we will get no-one :o)
Huh? hasn't McCullough already signed with the Knights?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Brandon Smith on the footy show was asked by Sterlo if he's been assured he's next in line for 9 after Cam. He basically said the staff have talked to him about it but they are always going to tell him what he wants to hear and that we will see if they are telling the truth lol. He also said it's great learning of Cam and that he's not going to complain about being stuck behind him.

Going to be interesting to see how this all pans out... With 18 rounds no byes and finals I think Cam will be done after this year and Brandon will replace him and Grant will stay at Tigers

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Thank god you’re not recruiting for us then. Don’t get too worked up, we will get better signings than that soon

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
We need to sign players before a second grade comp resumes ... Players like Tristan Sailor just sitting there ripe for the picking
Yep - atm - most clubs will not have the 34 players need to filed two teams each week - thats why the nrl needs to start planning for when it will be possible to play games to give as many players as possible the opportunity to play, impress, get match fitness, get recruited/ contracts for 2021.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank god you’re not recruiting for us then. Don’t get too worked up, we will get better signings than that soon
I hope you're right but I don't have a lot of confidence in our recruitment team. The Knights have now signed 2 decent hookers while we have none. McCullough would definitely be an upgrade on JMK. Katoa was only 3rd string hooker at the Panthers and he had to actually reach out to us (phone call).

Knights already had Pearce, Ponga and Klemmer on big money and now they have 2 decent hookers + they're also getting Frizel which means the Dragons will now be after Bateman. Who are we getting (other than Thompson) I'd like to know.

Last edited:

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I hope you're right but I don't have a lot of confidence in our recruitment team. The Knights have now signed 2 decent hookers while we have none. McCullough would definitely be an upgrade on JMK. Katoa was only 3rd string hooker at the Panthers and he had to actually reach out to us (phone call).

Knights already had Pearce, Ponga and Klemmer on big money and now they have 2 decent hookers + they're also getting Frizel which means the Dragons will now be after Bateman. Who are we getting (other than Thompson) I'd like to know.
Can you imagine how people would blow up if we signed McCullough?
It’s no point comparing us to other teams. Judge the recruitment team for 2021 when they don’t have a reduced cap and someone like Foran on 1.2mil

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
brandon smith future is in the hands of cam smith, if cam smith plays on brandon smith goes elsewhere, brandon was pretty much promised the hooker role next season, but cam smith wont retire, storm are in a pickle lose the next in line, push out their best player to keep the next in line, this was thecissue late last season in the storm, players had enough of cam smiths demands
Brandon Smith on the footy show was asked by Sterlo if he's been assured he's next in line for 9 after Cam. He basically said the staff have talked to him about it but they are always going to tell him what he wants to hear and that we will see if they are telling the truth lol. He also said it's great learning of Cam and that he's not going to complain about being stuck behind him.

Going to be interesting to see how this all pans out... With 18 rounds no byes and finals I think Cam will be done after this year and Brandon will replace him and Grant will stay at Tigers

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
brandon smith future is in the hands of cam smith, if cam smith plays on brandon smith goes elsewhere, brandon was pretty much promised the hooker role next season, but cam smith wont retire, storm are in a pickle lose the next in line, push out their best player to keep the next in line, this was thecissue late last season in the storm, players had enough of cam smiths demands
He'd be in my top three signings, he has the potential to be something very special.

Not that it would ever happen but ahh well, dreams are free