News Is Pay having a fluffy?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Oh no. a footy player having to play 18 whole games a week apart?! Oh, the humanity.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I just call it as I see it. If Pay thinks fatigue is such a big issue fill the squad with lower graders. Do you really think there would be any other coach in the NRL that would want to rotate something as important as his halves?

It’s part of a young halves development to go through a full year and fatigue. So whoever is the long term option just get them used to it this year rather then passing the buck till next season.

You modify training levels to battle fatigue rather then miss football which is what every other club does. This doesn’t reflect well on Pay at all.
Pay wasn’t the only coach quoted though. So it’s not like this issue (if that’s what it even is) is exclusive...

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pay wasn’t the only coach quoted though. So it’s not like this issue (if that’s what it even is) is exclusive...
Sorry he was in the esteemed company of Paul McGregor on the issue of rotation and he didn't mention halves specifically like Pay did.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I just call it as I see it. If Pay thinks fatigue is such a big issue fill the squad with lower graders. Do you really think there would be any other coach in the NRL that would want to rotate something as important as his halves?

It’s part of a young halves development to go through a full year and fatigue. So whoever is the long term option just get them used to it this year rather then passing the buck till next season.

You modify training levels to battle fatigue rather then miss football which is what every other club does. This doesn’t reflect well on Pay at all.
He won’t be running with a squad of 27 and as for rotating halves he has combinations to test and form, he’s not going to tell the media everything and be 100% forthcoming

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He won’t be running with a squad of 27 and as for rotating halves he has combinations to test and form, he’s not going to tell the media everything and be 100% forthcoming
He's had plenty of chances to test Cogger and Lewis and he still needs more time?

You're right he doesn't need to tell the media everything which makes it a even more bizarre comment to be making.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
He's had plenty of chances to test Cogger and Lewis and he still needs more time?

You're right he doesn't need to tell the media everything which makes it a even more bizarre comment to be making.
I don’t think they’ll get a lot of game time together unless there is injuries. It is a bit of a bizarre statement but if he fills his media commitments without giving too much away I’m happy

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Sorry he was in the esteemed company of Paul McGregor on the issue of rotation and he didn't mention halves specifically like Pay did.
OK, so now we’re into comparisons with other struggling coaches, got it.

Will be interesting if we land Bateman - which will be mostly a combo of our money for 2021 and the friendship between Sticky and Deano where Sticky encourages Bateman to choose the Dogs if the Raiders can’t keep him (he doesn’t want to stay).

What will all the Pay haters say then? It was a fluke, he had no option, Pay had nothing to do with it, all of the above... Yes it hasn’t happened and might not but be assured if it does Pay was not insignificant in the equation...

But hey, any excuse to pour scorn.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pick the best team available on games we are a chance of winning and rotate the injury prone players like foran on games we wont win. Our priority on a shortened season @ 0 from 2 already this season is not picking up the wooden spoon.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Will be interesting if we land Bateman - which will be mostly a combo of our money for 2021 and the friendship between Sticky and Deano where Sticky encourages Bateman to choose the Dogs if the Raiders can’t keep him (he doesn’t want to stay).

What will all the Pay haters say then? It was a fluke, he had no option, Pay had nothing to do with it, all of the above... Yes it hasn’t happened and might not but be assured if it does Pay was not insignificant in the equation...

If Pay nabs Bateman and played a big part in it of course he deserves credit but to deflect what I was saying with a hypothetical is a bit of a cop out.

As if stands Bateman isn't a Bulldog and it's only rumour. On the flip side what happens if Pay doesn't attract anyone and has another year of "rebuilding" with not much to show for it?

The club has spent the last two years treading water and yes that due to the cap but I don't really see any of these players Pay has asked for patients with being long term answers.

Jackson, Hoppa, Tolman, Elliott and Foran were already established first graders when Pay arrived and he has added DWZ and Napa to that last.

The rest are all still trying to establish themselves and look what he's doing with the likes of Reimis and Meaney with their positional changes.

Hopefully some more players establish themselves this year because its going to be mighty disappointing to have gone through these last few years and we only have DWZ and Napa to show for it.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Regardless of whether we recruit Bateman and the like or not, it doesn't change Pay's coaching ability or lack thereof.. Players won't be signing with us because of the coach, they'll be signing because we offer more than anyone else.

If anything if we recruit really well, the pressure will be on the club more than ever to get wins to reflect their investment in talent.. They might seek a more proven coach to take us to the next level.

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blah blah blah blah blah blah its all click bait!

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
In everything in life...
You either have it or you don't !!!
Being a player a coach or any typical person doing a typical job.
Again I say, People in charge must by now know if the coach or a player is a first grade material... Or do they ???

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You don't need 50 games to determine if you are first grade standard - that's more than what the average fg player will be involved in. You can continue to improve after 50 games but if you cant decide if someone is quality after 15 to 20 games you need to question your own quality
By saying we need to rest players because of possible fatigue is extremely negative - its not going to help, devalues the fg jersey. Earn it keep it.
Looking for excuses :fearscream:
Pay is now proving...He has no vision !!!

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Although...Pay had the same group of players for the last three seasons !

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Pay said be patient while these guys get 50 or so games into them and now they have 50 or so games and he’s still none the wiser on who is a long term option. If you’re still unsure after 50 games they aren’t going to be the solution.
Outside Foran which of our halves has 50 games? I don't think Wakeham even has 10 yet.

I get the idea of rotating them so they see game time, with no reserve grade yet.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Outside Foran which of our halves has 50 games? I don't think Wakeham even has 10 yet.

I get the idea of rotating them so they see game time, with no reserve grade yet.
Cogger has 40 since debuting in 2017 and Lewis has 26 since debuting in 2018. It doesn’t have to be exactly 50 but that’s plenty of games. I wasn’t really referring to Wakeham with that comment.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's just bullshit talk IMO. If you're playing well, you stay in the team, otherwise you get dropped, not rotated. It's a bad message to say you'll get a go just cause it's your turn, instead of because you deserve it (or someone else doesn't) - leave rotations for the under 6's. That rotation bullshit fucked our national cricket team for a while - blokes were pissed off for being dropped when they were in good form and wanted to play. It's elite sport, you should have to fight for everything and get what you deserve, good or bad.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looking for excuses :fearscream:
Pay is now proving...He has no vision !!!
The Covid situation will provide every team/ player/coach with an "excuse" - the quality individuals/ leaders wont use it.