Opinion Wayne Bennett

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Thoughts...

If all the crap about Bennett is true, do the dogs offer him a 2 year deal to turn the club around? We need a coach with some balls to bring in the players he wants. As much as you can't argue Pay love for the dogs, he doesn't strike me as the type of leader that is going to attract the talent we need to win premierships. I think as well some of his questionable selection decisions and radical ideas such as rotating halves is severely ruining his credibility. If he would take an assistant coach role, he would be superb under Bennett.

Now it's an obvious win for us, but people will say what's in it for Bennett? If he can change the team around in two seasons, he will solidify himself as the greatest. He isn't ready to leave the game and as Phil Gould said on his podcast, he has said it's all he knows so why would he?

Just a thought, but I like it.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'd rather wait for a more long term option. I'm really big on Flanagan for 2022 myself (obviously Bellamy if available, but I don't think that's realistic). I think Bennett has lost his touch a bit and I think he's someone you want when you already have a premiership ready team. I didn't like the look of the Broncos before the end of his time there and I haven't been too impressed with the Rabbitohs either (the way they've played at times, just looks like they rely on individual skill). I think Pay will be extended one year (unless a top coach is available and fits the bill). I don't think he's as bad as people say (and he hasn't lost the dressing room) and he's been working with a bottom four roster. Actually if anything he's over performed (I know that's hard to digest). When we have a more competitive roster, in 2021, the expectations on the team and Pay will rise.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wayne has looked cooked for the last few seasons and he leaves scorched earth when he departs a club. It’s only a short term option and he looks a shadow of himself in coaching terms.

cyborg66

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wayne will never come to the dogs after the board told him he is to old!!!!

Thegoldtoothrat

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
To be honest i dont really think hes that good of a coach. All the players love him hes a good people person but he pretty much had the qld origin side playing for the broncos all those grand finals and some of the best players to lace on a boot. Tallis, renouf, webke ,walters, lockyer, sailor, miles, langer, matterson, thorn, parker, thaiday the list is incredible. St merge had everything go right that year they never lost a penalty count and it was like the refs and the nrl bent over backwards and expected super coach bennett to win them a premireship. Every press conference bennett complains and the next week the refs accomadate him to get stmerge to the grand final. Plus he has his favourites like boyd. He totally ruined newcastle buying all older players and ex dragons with tinklers help, newcastle has a great junoir base and strong local footy from central coast to the tweed really. I think hes lost it to be honest thats if he really had it. No thanks. Give Dymock another shot. He went ok ass a caretaker. Left field but Shaun Wayne the great english coach wants to try the nrl maybe bring some players just will take him a bit to get used to our style of play.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Decent man manager, shit coach ... Has been this way for a long time and the man manager qualities are fading

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The thing is Bennett doesn't turn clubs around and if anything, everywhere he's been since Saints he's made those clubs worse and left them in tatters.

So I don't see the sense in hiring a 70 year old coach for a rebuilding and young team.

Thegoldtoothrat

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'd rather wait for a more long term option. I'm really big on Flanagan for 2022 myself (obviously Bellamy if available, but I don't think that's realistic). I think Bennett has lost his touch a bit and I think he's someone you want when you already have a premiership ready team. I didn't like the look of the Broncos before the end of his time there and I haven't been too impressed with the Rabbitohs either (the way they've played at times, just looks like they rely on individual skill). I think Pay will be extended one year (unless a top coach is available and fits the bill). I don't think he's as bad as people say (and he hasn't lost the dressing room) and he's been working with a bottom four roster. Actually if anything he's over performed (I know that's hard to digest). When we have a more competitive roster, in 2021, the expectations on the team and Pay will rise.
Yeah i forgot about Flanagan hes a great coach could bring his son too. I really think McGregor is on his last legs and Flanagan will step straight into the stmerge coaching role. Hes probably pulling most the strings now

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Isnt he like 180 years old. Surprised he can get out of bed in the morning unassisted.
Hasnt accomplished much in recent years.
Broncs thought he was irrelevant and past it. They choose a younger Seibold over him and I reckon they will be top 4 this year.
Whats with everyone wanting to sign slops? Players, coaches.
We need a vision for the future, not more dead wood.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yeah i forgot about Flanagan hes a great coach could bring his son too. I really think McGregor is on his last legs and Flanagan will step straight into the stmerge coaching role. Hes probably pulling most the strings now
Hopefully the Dragons take Bennett then.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Recruiting consultant. Throw heaps of money at him just to get players to sign with us, that's all we need him for.

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am I the only one that sees the hypocrisy of sacking Hasler because he had no dogs DNA, replacing him with pay, then replacing him with Bennett. Are we going full circle ? How is Bennett a dog?

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Recruiting consultant. Throw heaps of money at him just to get players to sign with us, that's all we need him for.
So in other words we should rename him Carrot Bennett lol

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Am I the only one that sees the hypocrisy of sacking Hasler because he had no dogs DNA, replacing him with pay, then replacing him with Bennett. Are we going full circle ? How is Bennett a dog?
He dogged the Knights pretty damn good!

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
To be honest i dont really think hes that good of a coach. All the players love him hes a good people person but he pretty much had the qld origin side playing for the broncos all those grand finals and some of the best players to lace on a boot. Tallis, renouf, webke ,walters, lockyer, sailor, miles, langer, matterson, thorn, parker, thaiday the list is incredible. St merge had everything go right that year they never lost a penalty count and it was like the refs and the nrl bent over backwards and expected super coach bennett to win them a premireship. Every press conference bennett complains and the next week the refs accomadate him to get stmerge to the grand final. Plus he has his favourites like boyd. He totally ruined newcastle buying all older players and ex dragons with tinklers help, newcastle has a great junoir base and strong local footy from central coast to the tweed really. I think hes lost it to be honest thats if he really had it. No thanks. Give Dymock another shot. He went ok ass a caretaker. Left field but Shaun Wayne the great english coach wants to try the nrl maybe bring some players just will take him a bit to get used to our style of play.
But by your own appraisal here, you've said;
1) he can manipulate the officials to his teams advantage
2) he can recruit players very easily and they want to play for him.

thats 75% of successful NRL coaching right there.

Game plans are always figured out within a few games, the advantage coaches get is getting the right cattle and team composition together, and motivating them week in and week out, Otherwise coaches and teams are one season wonders that become solved.

Last edited: