John Bateman

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Doubt Newcastle are in the race after buying Frizell.
Yeah but they will let Guerra go and perhaps Moga and a couple few slackers and maybe they could scrape in.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Good PR by him trying not to be painted as a bad guy imo, he's witnessed how the Matterson situation played out and his rep has taken a massive hit. This will run its course and Bateman will do what's best for his daughter in the end, which you would think will be the biggest offer.

Artybulldog 26

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
Reaction score
Doubt Newcastle are in the race after buying Frizell.
Agree. Lol Frizell, Barnett, Fitzgibbon would all make it into our starting back row. I am sure they don't want another high cost backrower. All together that probably 1.6mil.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You would be mad not to go hard for him. Perfect for the Blue and White.
That's true but the club has made signing Eastwood and/or Tony Williams a priority so there's no room for inferior talent like Bateman.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good PR by him trying not to be painted as a bad guy imo, he's witnessed how the Matterson situation played out and his rep has taken a massive hit. This will run its course and Bateman will do what's best for his daughter in the end, which you would think will be the biggest offer.
Yeah this is beginning to play out like all these things do. Just waiting for the doing what’s best for my family line.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd take Bateman, and he can bring Ricky Stuart with him. He can teach his best mate Pay a thing or three in the coaches box.
They were just talkimg about it on fox league, from what Ennis said it's unlikely.
Approval to test the market and then go back to the Raiders.
If the Raiders up his contract for next year it would mean less money for Cotric. Not a bad each way bet.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/fd77454f25a86a2f8bceef246aac5bac

Would be a great purchase after sacking Corey and will complement our other UK forward next season. But only at a reasonable price. 800K is a bit too much isn't it? can we meet in the middle at 700K?
We'd be mad not to offer him 800k. At the worst case scenario we don't get him he stays at Canberra for the 600 he's on next year.
Middle scenario is that Raiders find another 100-150k for him and we can throw money at Cotric.
Best case, we get him at 800k, if he holds 2019 form over the contract it's a good value signing and gives our attack a point of difference. He's a winner too, so that will rub off on a young squad, think Ben Kennedy at Knights or Manly.

halfcast

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
cotric yes
bateman hes just teasing the raiders

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
We'd be mad not to offer him 800k. At the worst case scenario we don't get him he stays at Canberra for the 600 he's on next year.
Middle scenario is that Raiders find another 100-150k for him and we can throw money at Cotric.
Best case, we get him at 800k, if he holds 2019 form over the contract it's a good value signing and gives our attack a point of difference. He's a winner too, so that will rub off on a young squad, think Ben Kennedy at Knights or Manly.
Exactly.

Get him (Bateman) and cotric and addo carr and Jake friend or Watson ffs. If Foran can stay Fit I’d look at him for 300-400k. No one near his quality at that.

I think this is realistic and with the situation in cap with space finally free and Chn and okunbor sacked we surely can make it work.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think it's just the media linking us to every player as always more than anything of substance yet.

I'd love for it to happen but many clubs will be chasing Bateman. Cap space or not, we all know certain clubs can always find a way..

And he is worth the money. His impact helped Canberra to the GF in his first season. He's already one of the best attacking forwards in the game and is a great defender too. He'd be a huge addition for any club.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I remember most people hammering Matterson on here for asking for a release from the Tigers. Now very few seem to have an issue with Bateman or Addo Carr doing the same thing because we could potentially recruit them.. It's funny how fans views change when it comes to their team...

The reality these days is that contracts really do mean nothing anymore and this is the new norm across the league. Pretty much any player could become available at any time. Every club will suffer and benefit from it. Hopefully we can benefit from it for a change and take advantage of our cap space by signing some legitimate talent.

But whatever the case, the days of getting too sentimental about players are over.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Exactly.

Get him (Bateman) and cotric and addo carr and Jake friend or Watson ffs. If Foran can stay Fit I’d look at him for 300-400k. No one near his quality at that.

I think this is realistic and with the situation in cap with space finally free and Chn and okunbor sacked we surely can make it work.
I'd offer Foran a base of 300k, then 10k per game played, 5k win bonus, if you can actually do that.
Presuming we go back to 24 games per year, if he plays 20 and we win 15 he'll make 575k. He gets injured again it doesn't hurt our cap too much.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I remember most people hammering Matterson on here for asking for a release from the Tigers. Now very few seem to have an issue with Bateman or Addo Carr doing the same thing because we could potentially recruit them.. It's funny how fans views change when it comes to their team...

The reality these days is that contracts really do mean nothing anymore and this is the new norm across the league. Pretty much any player could become available at any time. Every club will suffer and benefit from it. Hopefully we can benefit from it for a change and take advantage of our cap space by signing some legitimate talent.

But whatever the case, the days of getting too sentimental about players are over.
Not me haha Matterson is a wanker but why the fuck would we care? We've lost Barba, Klemmer and countless others to homesickness and money... It's our time now no time for taking the moral high ground, time to be fucking ruthless