2020 recruitment

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so I havnt been as active with all the corona crap going on. So I just wanted to ask any one have any idea wtf This club is doing regarding signing any one for the year. We lost 2 players recently who we are really thin with backups in those positions as it is but yet to see any new signings.

come to think of it I can totally understand what’s happened this year so far is trash, but the club has so many players off contract and we are yet to sign anyone for 2021 besides Thomson. I might be way off the mark as I havnt heard anything new, but if I’m right this club seems to be getting used to not making the 8...

also what’s the news regarding our coach. It’s his last year, we obviously can’t leave it to the last minute to appoint a replacement considering no one will sign with us if they don’t know who is coaching next year. So many questions with next to no answers.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so I havnt been as active with all the corona crap going on. So I just wanted to ask any one have any idea wtf This club is doing regarding signing any one for the year. We lost 2 players recently who we are really thin with backups as it is but yet to see any new singings.

come to think of it I can totally understand what’s happened this year so far is trash but the club has so many players off contract and we are yet to sign anyone for 2021 besides Thomson. I might be way off the mark as I havnt heard anything new but if I’m right this club seems to be getting used to not making the 8...

also what’s the news regarding our coach. It’s his last year we obviously can’t leave it to the last minute to appoint a replacement considering no one will sign with us if they don’t know who is coaching next year. So many questions with next to no answers.
Pay has dodged a bullet thanks to COVID, he will get a 12mth conditional extension. As for recruitment, I truly hope our Recruitment Crew are being tight-lipped & keep all activity within their inner sanctum & trump all & sundry.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
B
Pay has dodged a bullet thanks to COVID, he will get a 12mth conditional extension. As for recruitment, I truly hope our Recruitment Crew are being tight-lipped & keep all activity within their inner sanctum & trump all & sundry.
Bloody hope so. Heard wakeham has signed till 2022 announcement soon but cmon we need some gun outside backs... a couple of ball playing second rowers... and spark from dummy half. We havnt had anyone decent since ennis... what a joke just frustrating

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
We're either being very professional and clever with all info tight lipped or we're completely fuked?

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We're either being very professional and clever with all info tight lipped or we're completely fuked?
I think fucked. If they are announcing the signature of wakeham then we obviously havnt snared anyone yet

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I think fucked. If they are announcing the signature of wakeham then we obviously havnt snared anyone yet
Wakeham I think is ok however the talks with Reynolds scares the fuk out of me. That stuff makes me think we are desperate and yes.........fuked!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'm concerned we haven't recruited for 2021 as we've had almost 7 months to be in the market (since last November). Over this time I've seen a lot (almost all) the top talent re-signed or going elsewhere. I'll hold judgement until we know our 2021 roster but unless we're able to snag some on contract players it isn't looking good.

Pay will be coaching next year unless we're able to get a top coach which imo is very unlikely. He'll be given the Brown treatment in 2021 (if we have the squad and he doesn't make finals he'll be moved on). I'm not so hard on Pay as I believe we have a bottom four side on paper and we realistically shouldn't be picking up wins against anyone besides the Titans and Warriors. I also believe the players play for him (he hasn't lost the dressing room).

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I only hope that covid has been the reason for the lack of signings and not lack of action on the clubs behalf.
Still some quality on the market for 2021 and we'll need to add 3 to 4 quality players in key positions to be moving toward the 8 next year.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless we snag a big fish like ponga we will not attract quality players to the club.....we have lost that aura and I honestly fear about our recruitment

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thompson is a huge signing guys. I know we haven't had any other great news on this front but let's hope it's a sign to other off contract players that we are serious.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Wait/hope/ be positive is all there is.!!

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
They should sign Robert Jennings from Tigers
Overrated. Easy to play well when he was at Souths getting clean ball off Cook, Walker and Inglis.

Thegoldtoothrat

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He hasnt really had any money to buy someone decent. Its hard when your loosing chop and changing combinations. If he gets another 12months so be it. Hopefully we get some consistency and no more injuries

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Unless we snag a big fish like ponga we will not attract quality players to the club.....we have lost that aura and I honestly fear about our recruitment
Its the one thing I dont understand with our recruitment. I know its good to lock up our juniors and any talent we already have, but to rebuild to where we want to be again we need a star point player. Fittler at the Roosters, Johns at the Knights, JT at the Cowboys, Smith at the Storm, etc etc.

Great clubs with recent success attract great players or money and potential does.

We dont have a club that screams powerhouse at the moment so we need to sell potential with big money to someone like Ponga so that other talent that also want to win comps come with him. Thompson may be a handy signing but Xfactor players wont suddenly bang down our door to join him, we need to target someone like Ponga to get the ball rolling and build around him.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
To answer your question with factual information in relation to us not signing replacements for CHN & Okunbur, the NRL hasn’t allowed it during the pandemic. It is open now and the club are closely monitoring kennel feedback, especially from the negative Nancy’s like piggy and will announce new signings soon :grinning:

Thegoldtoothrat

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Its the one thing I dont understand with our recruitment. I know its good to lock up our juniors and any talent we already have, but to rebuild to where we want to be again we need a star point player. Fittler at the Roosters, Johns at the Knights, JT at the Cowboys, Smith at the Storm, etc etc.

Great clubs with recent success attract great players or money and potential does.

We dont have a club that screams powerhouse at the moment so we need to sell potential with big money to someone like Ponga so that other talent that also want to win comps come with him. Thompson may be a handy signing but Xfactor players wont suddenly bang down our door to join him, we need to target someone like Ponga to get the ball rolling and build around him.
Alot of the next stars are playing australian schoolboys unfortunately the dogs dont have many representatives lately. Haslers top heavy all or nothing recruitment has fucked us and were still paying for it. Who is doing our recruitment?

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Alot of the next stars are playing australian schoolboys unfortunately the dogs dont have many representatives lately. Haslers top heavy all or nothing recruitment has fucked us and were still paying for it. Who is doing our recruitment?
Who's piggy?