2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bulldogs marvel at Foran's stunning recovery ahead of season return

Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Tue 19 May 2020, 05:01 PM

Bulldogs teammates have again been astonished by the recuperative powers of Kieran Foran as the star playmaker edges closer to a stunning comeback in the May 31 clash with Manly.

The Kiwi international suffered a shoulder injury in last November's Test against Great Britain that was so severe Canterbury officials wanted an overhaul of the NRL's salary cap compensation rules for representative players.

After undergoing a shoulder reconstruction and surgery on his rotator cuff, Foran was expected to miss at least nine months and the Bulldogs believed the maximum $350,000 discount for players injured on representative duty was insufficient.

However, Foran may now only miss two Telstra Premiership matches as prop Dylan Napa declared him almost certain to line up against former mentor Des Hasler's Sea Eagles when the competition resumes next week.

"I expect him to be playing," Napa said. "He has been training really well so he should be playing. That is what I am expecting.

"I haven't known him for too long but he said to me this is mentally the best he has felt and the best physically he has felt. They are two pretty big boxes to tick.

"We are really excited for him. He has worked really hard to get to where he is, so it will be good to get him on the field."

A fit Foran will be a massive boost for Canterbury, who have been relying on promising but inexperienced halves in Lachlan Lewis and Brandon Wakeham.

He has been defending on the left edge alongside second-rower Dean Britt and winger Nick Meaney said Foran's presence lifted the confidence of the entire side.

"Having him back will be massive not only on the field but off the field," Meaney said. "We have got young halves and when he is back he will definitely help our team. We are all excited to be around him."

While no-one anticipated Foran being back so soon, Meaney said he made a quicker-than-expected recovery last year from an ankle injury that usually requires a three-month recovery.

"I remember when he did his ankle last year, he suffered a syndesmosis [injury] in the Tigers game and I think he came back after five or six weeks," Meaney said.

"For most people that wouldn't be possible. He must deal with pain a lot differently to other people with how he can come back from injury so quick and feel 100 per cent is crazy."

The return of Foran has been offset by the loss of winger Marcelo Montoya for up to three months with a hamstring tear as he attempted to return from a knee injury.

Off-season recruit Joe Stimson has been ruled out for the season after undergoing a shoulder reconstruction while fellow second-rower Corey Harawira-Naera was sacked over a pre-season incident in Port Macquarie.

Napa said the Bulldogs had forward depth and he was also unfazed by the return to one referee and introduction of the "six again" rule rather than awarding of a penalty for ruck infringements.

"Players have adapted to new rules every year and when the wrestle came in we adapted, and the rules changed again. It's just how it goes," Napa said.

"It is the evolution of the game of rugby league. I have loved it since I was a kid and I will love it when I finish."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/05/19...ans-stunning-recovery-ahead-of-season-return/

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I think we are without a doubt a much stronger team with Foran on the park, but the question will always be, how long will he be on the park for?
Fingers crossed for the guy, if he plays for the rest of the year, our position on the ladder will be much stronger no doubt, pair him with Wakeham, help him develop and there may be some real good that comes from it...

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Groundhog Day!

Foran rushes back from injury before he's fully fit and healed each time only to break down and get injured again weeks later.

Sure that's brave and tough but it's not very smart and clearly the club haven't managed our highest paid and most injury prone player very well going into his third year by allowing him to come back early each time... Or by letting him play for NZ when he was just coming off yet another injury..

I honestly wish Foran luck with his health as he deserves some but neither he nor the club have handled his comeback from injuries well at all over the years...

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
have to love the spin and hype the media can put in a player, bulldogs fans be thrilled if foran can put up his man bun without sustaining an injury

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Lol he was expected to miss 9 months but only missed 2 games. Superman. What a shit read.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And the haters keep on hating!! Injury prone, or unlucky, take your pick, he has had a wretched run. But anyone bagging the guy for working his ads off on his rehab each and every time, so that he is making it back early, this time months ahead of schedule, really should check themselves!!!
Long term injuries are the hardest periods if any professional athletes career, so the ability to not only smash out their rehab, but to actually have the healing ability to do so is something we should all give respect to them for!!!
Many players with Forans injury record would have hung up their boots, or spiralled emotionally out of control on a regular. Foran has had a few rough moments, but his dedication to his passion of playing rugby league is second to none. So give the guy a fucking break?
@sgodllubsti if you played professional rugby league you would probably fake an injury after blinking.

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And the haters keep on hating!! Injury prone, or unlucky, take your pick, he has had a wretched run. But anyone bagging the guy for working his ads off on his rehab each and every time, so that he is making it back early, this time months ahead of schedule, really should check themselves!!!
Long term injuries are the hardest periods if any professional athletes career, so the ability to not only smash out their rehab, but to actually have the healing ability to do so is something we should all give respect to them for!!!
Many players with Forans injury record would have hung up their boots, or spiralled emotionally out of control on a regular. Foran has had a few rough moments, but his dedication to his passion of playing rugby league is second to none. So give the guy a fucking break?
@sgodllubsti if you played professional rugby league you would probably fake an injury after blinking.
No doubt foran has the will to keep fighting to get back on the field

but answer me this

Have the dogs received a return on their investment from foran at a million bucks a season?

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He gets bagged because we're working within a cap and takes up the wages of a top 5 player in the game and plays fuck all. He also went ahead and selfishly played for NZ when he had absolutely no business playing in it.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Looking back at the last few years, do you think in hindsight Foran came back too soon from his injuries or played through injuries to the point where it led to more/worse injuries?

Again, no one is questioning Foran's toughness or work ethic in rehabbing injuries. But him rushing back each time is always to the detriment of himself and the club. Because him getting injured again shortly after another "miraculous recovery" doesn't help anyone.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

but answer me this

Have the dogs received a return on their investment from foran at a million bucks a season?
For 1m a season no. I don't think anyone has said Foran has tho.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

but answer me this

Not really. But that's not the point. Can't bag the guy for doing everything possible to make earlier then hoped for returns. Would you be happier if he just took it slow and steady and returned when expected?

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Looking back at the last few years, do you think in hindsight Foran came back too soon from his injuries or played through injuries to the point where it led to more/worse injuries?

Again, no one is questioning Foran's toughness or work ethic in rehabbing injuries. But him rushing back each time is always to the detriment of himself and the club. Because him getting injured again shortly after another "miraculous recovery" doesn't help anyone.
I actually disagree. He has never come back from injury and reinjured the same injury. He just has shit luck, and sadly has become injury prone. But not because he kills his rehab and returns early. Not IMO anyway.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He gets bagged because we're working within a cap and takes up the wages of a top 5 player in the game and plays fuck all. He also went ahead and selfishly played for NZ when he had absolutely no business playing in it.
He had every right to play in the test, and the club agreed. It's just tough luck. He didn't go into the game with a shoulder complaint and then sustained furtger injury to it. It was just shit luck.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I actually disagree. He has never come back from injury and reinjured the same injury. He just has shit luck, and sadly has become injury prone. But not because he kills his rehab and returns early. Not IMO anyway.
It's not just bad luck though.. A lot of his injuries are related to his previous injuries..

He's had a bad back which doesn't help his hamstrings.. His hamstring or back issues then lead to high ankle sprains and calf strains etc. He's screwed his shoulders in years past which lead to another shoulder injury because his whole body is broken down.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's not just bad luck though.. A lot of his injuries are related to his previous injuries..

He's had bad hammies which lead to
No disrespect, but are you a doctor? Have you treated his injuries, or coordinated his rehab? So you are just making your opinions based on your assumptions.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He had every right to play in the test, and the club agreed. It's just tough luck. He didn't go into the game with a shoulder complaint and then sustained furtger injury to it. It was just shit luck.
Don't agree. It was dead obvious he needed an extended break yet he selfishly put himself ahead of the club and the club was too soft to put it's foot down and stop it happening. If you keep getting injuries it's more than just "shit luck".

Anyway we're stuck with him for the remainder of the season, hopefully he some how stays on the field so Wakeham and Averillo can get some sort of benefits from it while we pickup a few wins. I just hope his inclusion doesn't mask key issues and the club prematurely and stupidly throws him another ridiculous offer.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No disrespect, but are you a doctor? Have you treated his injuries, or coordinated his rehab? So you are just making your opinions based on your assumptions.
Haha. Are you serious? You don't have to be a doctor to know about injuries... Anyone who plays sports, has been to physios countless times or has just has one clue about how the human body works would be able to understand...

But hey, if you want to believe that Foran is just "really unlucky" and won't miss a game for the next four seasons because he's "in the best shape of his life" and "training the house down", then it doesn't bother me.