News Bulldogs focus on Wakeham, Foran as prospect of Reynolds return fades

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We have several employees who are worth $100k a year but they only work 40% of the time (2 days a week) so we only pay them $40k.

Go Dogs
So? You can't do that with Foran. He gets paid in full regardless of whether he's injured or not. If we gave him match payments, that would be another thing. But this isn't 1977 and you can't do that anymore. So I don't understand the point of your reference.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
We have several employees who are worth $100k a year but they only work 40% of the time (2 days a week) so we only pay them $40k.
So? You can't do that with Foran. He gets paid in full regardless of whether he's injured or not. If we gave him match payments, that would be another thing. But this isn't 1977 and you can't do that anymore. So I don't understand the point of your reference.
It's pretty simple actually, if he plays 100% of games then let's say he's worth $1m. Since on average for the last 2 years he only plays 1/2 of the games then he's worth, say, $500k. If he plays more than his average number of games then we get good value for money, if he doesn't then we get bad value for money. Same as the employee you would like to have for 5 days a week but who only works 2.5 days a week.

The cap is very limiting is cases like this, hence thinking outside the box is required. As previously posted, the Chooks did it with Cronk and Melbourne with Slater.

Go Dogs

Last edited:

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
DWZ has hardly shown he’s the answer at fb either. Throwing Averillo in at fb could be a master stroke similar to when Michael Morgan was playing fb for the Cowboys
He has a good pass aswell. Sets up a fair few tries.
Set up a couple and scored one himself in the first Canterbury cup game this year. Didn’t get the win but he looked good. He was playing 5/8 but He’d do the same at the back.
Could chuck Dwz at centre aswell and smith back to the wing.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's pretty simple actually, if he plays 100% of games then let's say he's worth $1m. Since on average for the last 2 years he only plays 1/2 of the games then he's worth, say, $500k. If he plays more than his average number of games then we get good value for money, if he doesn't then we get bad value for money. Same as the employee you would like to have for 5 days a week but who only works 2.5 days a week.

The cap is very limiting is cases like this, hence thinking outside the box is required. As previously posted, the Chooks did it with Cronk and Melbourne with Slater.

Cheers
Gary
He's not worth $1 million though even if he played every game. He was barely worth 500k before Des signed him, let alone three years later. So he's barely worth 250k factoring in his eventual injuries and the disruptions they cause.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He has a good pass aswell. Sets up a fair few tries.
Set up a couple and scored one himself in the first Canterbury cup game this year. Didn’t get the win but he looked good. He was playing 5/8 but He’d do the same at the back.
Could chuck Dwz at centre aswell and smith back to the wing.
We struggle to score points so I’m hoping they do something differently when play resumes.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's not worth $1 million though even if he played every game. He was barely worth 500k before Des signed him, let alone three years later. So he's barely worth 250k factoring in his eventual injuries and the disruptions they cause.
Agree, just for reference what did Parra pay him ? think we clearly paid more which was just staggering

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Agree, just for reference what did Parra pay him ? think we clearly paid more which was just staggering
He signed a Four million dollar five year deal and quit after like a year due to his gambling/ personal problems

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
What so good about Wakeham again? I haven't seen it.

sogs seem to be standing firm in not selling him to the tigers as per Madges condition for releasing Reynolds so they must see it too.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He signed a Four million dollar five year deal and quit after like a year due to his gambling/ personal problems
So Parra signed him for $800,000K per year, and only stayed there 1 year, to me he looked busted then, I'm sure he left because of that, he did very little at the Warriors, why because his body was finished then.
Enter Des and we signed him for $1M per year, and was going to be our saviour, did Des really think that he was going to bring Foran back to life ala Lazarus.
I just hope that all this talk on TK about signing Foran even at a reduced rate is just fantasy talk by some who have plenty of time on their hands.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
What so good about Wakeham again? I haven't seen it.

sogs seem to be standing firm in not selling him to the tigers as per Madges condition for releasing Reynolds so they must see it too.
Throughout Junior reps Wakeham dominated games through his passing, kicking and decision making - he led teams extremely well and made players around him better. There is no guarantee that he will do that in FG but he gas ticked all the boxes to date.

He is not a half who stands out because of great step/ speed - and like all halves needs a good pack and quick play the balls to be effective

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Throughout Junior reps Wakeham dominated games through his passing, kicking and decision making - he led teams extremely well and made players around him better. There is no guarantee that he will do that in FG but he gas ticked all the boxes to date.

He is not a half who stands out because of great step/ speed - and like all halves needs a good pack and quick play the balls to be effective
From memory in the juniors he was clear leader of assists and kick metres as well.

Boys still growing, he's got a good kicking game, as he gets older and stronger those long kick will develop too.

One thing that did stick out were his bombs weren't just kick and hope (like lewis), they were well placed for our chasers

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
From memory in the juniors he was clear leader of assists and kick metres as well.

Boys still growing, he's got a good kicking game, as he gets older and stronger those long kick will develop too.

One thing that did stick out were his bombs weren't just kick and hope (like lewis), they were well placed for our chasers
Not sure of stats - he was a stand out not because he was the biggest or the strongest but he appeared to have the skills n the footy sense of a quality player. His defence was good - having said that halves are always targeted by larger players and need good defenders around them - he was also in the face of opposition teams - aggressive!

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Not sure of stats - he was a stand out not because he was the biggest or the strongest but he appeared to have the skills n the footy sense of a quality player. His defence was good - having said that halves are always targeted by larger players and need good defenders around them - he was also in the face of opposition teams - aggressive!
Yep. Schoolboys final he also dominated the opposition which had Payne Haas and David fifita.

Kids definitely got talent. Just needs to gain experience and be developed properly.

If he can get as much influence from shifty and foran, then we're in good stead. Which is why I think the club really wants to re-sigb foran, so foran can pass that on to wakeham

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yep. Schoolboys final he also dominated the opposition which had Payne Haas and David fifita.

Kids definitely got talent. Just needs to gain experience and be developed properly.

If he can get as much influence from shifty and foran, then we're in good stead. Which is why I think the club really wants to re-sigb foran, so foran can pass that on to wakeham
Agreed that any thoughts of re-signing Foran go beyond what he can do on the field and for how long - it’s definitely partially about grooming the next generation too. We can’t dwell on his sunk cost - what’s done and the damage it did is done. However any additional value we can extract from Foran moving forward does help that pill taste a little less bitter...

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldnt mind Reynolds off the bench if he came cheap.. He always adds some spark as a bench utility ..

Ppl bag him out and he has brain explosions.. but his tenacity and energy won us countless games over the years also..

Several games come to mind VS Dragons at ANZ Queens Bday.. Many times VS Manly especially all the golden point games: from the SF where he got us a repeat set in Golden Point kicking it into the ref, to winning a golden point penalty that Hodko slotted over at Brooky, to winning golden point for us VS Manly at ANZ with his kick chase try..

Cant bag the guy out.. frusterating yes but always gave his all.. which you can only respect..
I agree, but the only reason I don’t want him here is that we need to be looking to the future, not signing another injury prone 31 year old half.

He would not be a good signing for us when we have Wakeham and Averillo coming through, and Foran still on the books.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Foran is by far the best player in our team when fit and you're saying he's barely worth 500k if he plays every game? Haha. IMO Foran is up there with any five-eighth in the NRL ability wise.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Foran is by far the best player in our team when fit and you're saying he's barely worth 500k if he plays every game? Haha. IMO Foran is up there with any five-eighth in the NRL ability wise.
When fit? So by that you mean very rarely? He'll never play every game. I was saying he was barely worth 500k at the time they signed him.

He was coming off injuries for years at Manly, gambling, depression and family issues where he walked out on his deal at Parra and a shocking season at the Warriors when they were only paying him about 400k.

I know it's hard for you to comprehend but it's been four or five years since Foran was a consistently productive footballer. Since then it's been a sharp decline due to injuries etc but you fail to recognise this? You keep waiting for "his best" but he's five years past his best and can barely stay on the field.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
When fit? So by that you mean very rarely? He'll never play every game. I was saying he was barely worth 500k at the time they signed him.

He was coming off injuries for years at Manly, gambling, depression and family issues where he walked out on his deal at Parra and a shocking season at the Warriors when they were only paying him about 400k.

I know it's hard for you to comprehend but it's been four or five years since Foran was a consistently productive footballer. Since then it's been a sharp decline due to injuries etc but you fail to recognise this? You keep waiting for "his best" but he's five years past his best and can barely stay on the field.
"He's not worth $1 million though even if he played every game." He is or thereabouts. I acknowledge his injury record and because of this he isn't worth 1m and instead somewhere between 400-500k (imo). He is our best player.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Agree!
The more game time the more confident Wakeham will get and lead the team around.
He's only 21 give him time.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
agree when foran was fit and well he was right up with the best in the game, and when fit our best player, unfortunately, last few years hes been busted and broken, he is now a liability, no team can put big money into any player as injury prone and susceptible as foran is, its to big a risk