Official Injury updates

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
he Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs continue their preparations for the NRL restart date on May 28 with the club set to tackle the Manly Sea Eagles in the first game back since the competition was suspended due to COVID-19.

The team has been back training for two weeks and with less than a fortnight to go until round three kicks off, the Bulldogs can provide the following injury update.

Outside back Marcelo Montoya, unfortunately, suffered a grade two hamstring tear during training last week which will see the local junior sidelined for 8 – 12 weeks.

Meanwhile, Joe Stimson underwent the second stage of surgery to his shoulder last week. Stimson had a posterior shoulder reconstruction following an anterior repair a fortnight ago. The 24-year old will commence his rehab program in two weeks and will be sidelined for five to six months.

Chris Smith will begin skills and contact with the team this week as his continues his return to play protocol following a knee injury suffered in the All Stars match at the start of the season. He will be back to full training in a week’s time with a return to play date scheduled for round five.

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2020/05/18/injury-update-local-junior-sidelined/

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Not injury related but is Elliott back yet or what?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Surely we are trying to bring in another experienced outside back we are pretty thin without Montoya and Okonbur.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
His misses had the baby last week so you'd think he would be back this week.
Pay will probably still slot him back into the 13 even without the training sessions under his belt lol.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Pay will probably still slot him back into the 13 even without the training sessions under his belt lol.
Since he was one of our better players so far this season. Wouldn’t you?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Since he was one of our better players so far this season. Wouldn’t you?
Nope. I wouldn't be sending any player out there that hasn't got enough training under their belt.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do we need to get to 30 by a certain date ?
I’m not sure where that all stands now. Stimson and Montoya are still in the top 30 so they will need to fill 3 more spots but maybe things have changed since corona.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I’m not sure where that all stands now. Stimson and Montoya are still in the top 30 so they will need to fill 3 more spots but maybe things have changed since corona.
We're still waiting for hear back from the NRL about whether the two deregistered players have to be replaced in squad numbers for the year - but they've been a little bit busy trying to keep the league alive in the last two months.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We're still waiting for hear back from the NRL about whether the two deregistered players have to be replaced in squad numbers for the year - but they've been a little bit busy trying to keep the league alive in the last two months.
I don’t know why they are waiting because if we get a couple of injuries to a outside back or second rower we will be scraping the bottom of the barrel. With 18 games coming up without a byes they are going to need a full 30.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don't rate Montoya but you do have to feel sorry for him with these injuries. That could be his career done and dusted.
Yeh. Fringe first grader. Shame was he was actually having a decent game when he did his knee. I guess when it rains it pours. Hope he can get back and continue his league career soon. Gotta feel sorry for him.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Surely we are trying to bring in another experienced outside back we are pretty thin without Montoya and Okonbur.
It seems a must IMO. I wonder who though. I don't want to sign a layer just for the sake of it. Canterbury cup doesn't look like it will be recommending anytime soon, so maybe we will be ok?....

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
No problem, he's been wrestling crocodiles up in "The Territory".

Go Dogs

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t know why they are waiting because if we get a couple of injuries to a outside back or second rower we will be scraping the bottom of the barrel. With 18 games coming up without a byes they are going to need a full 30.
Guessing it's a protocol thing. The NRL de-registered the two players, effectively terminating their employment by the club. Granted the club supported the decision but it's not as if it was solely their decision to terminate the contracts, so there must be some reason as to why the club has to take guidance on whether we require 28 or 30 players for the remainder of the year (we were at 29 prior to the Port Mac incident).

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nope. I wouldn't be sending any player out there that hasn't got enough training under their belt.
Fair enough. Not like we have many options in the squad. I’d have anyone at lock with one arm over Chris Smith