Opinion Tolman and the pack in the future

Artybulldog 26

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
Reaction score
There have been many threads looking to the future, to better times ahead, we hope! I'm 2021 I think we're sure that our pack will look much different. This has to come with a few changes that's sure. This would be both in recruitment and retention and we may have to ditch some of our hardest serving players.

One of those would be Tolman. A great servent to the club and very underrated. I believe that he has got about 1-2 years left in him be that on the bench or at something like lock. He would be a mentor to our younger props and would help immensely.

In 2021 and the years ahead we would definitely sign a few forwards. A bunch of them could be:
Jamil Hopoate
Christian Welch
Francis Molo
James Fisher Harris
Nat Butcher
Ethan Bullamore
Toby Rudolf
Billy Magoulias
Alex Walmsley
Elisea Katoa
Tyrell Fuimano
Bunty Afoa
Agnatious Passi
Nelson Asofa Solomona
James Tamou
That's a lot of options which I'm pretty sure are available over the next 2-3 years. Some we could get for this year. If in 2021 we are unable to gather many great forwards then we should resign Tolman. If we can't get more than 1-2 props, 2-3 Backrowers (Depending on CHN) and 1-2 locks then I believe that we are in trouble.

Thoughts guys;

Last edited:

Thegoldtoothrat

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
There have been many threads looking to the future, to better times ahead, we hope! I'm 2021 I think we're sure that our pack will look much different. This has to come with a few changes that's sure. This would be both in recruitment and retention and we may have to ditch some of our hardest serving players.

One of those would be Tolman. A great servent to the club and very underrated. I believe that he has got about 1-2 years left in him be that on the bench or at something like lock. He would be a mentor to our younger props and would help immensely.

In 2021 and the years ahead we would definitely sign a few forwards. A bunch of them could be:
Jamil Hopoate
Christian Welch
Francis Molo
James Fisher Harris
Nat Butcher
Ethan Bullamore
Toby Rudolf
Billy Magoulias
Alex Walmsley
Elisea Katoa
Tyrell Fuimano
Bunty Afoa
Agnatious Passi
Nelson Asofa Solomona
James Tamou
That's a lot of options which I'm pretty sure are available over the next 2-3 years. Some we could get for this year. If in 2021 we are unable to gather many great forwards then we should resign Tolman. If we get more than 1-2 props, 2-3 Backrowers (Depending on CHN) and 1-2 locks then I believe that we are in trouble.

Thoughts guys;
Corey Horsburgh would be a great buy from canberra. I like James Fisher Harris too. Tamou is getting on now.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jamil Hopoate
Christian Welch
Francis Molo
James Fisher Harris
Nat Butcher
Ethan Bullamore
Toby Rudolf
Billy Magoulias
Alex Walmsley
Elisea Katoa
Tyrell Fuimano
Bunty Afoa
Agnatious Passi
Nelson Asofa Solomona
James Tamou
That's a lot of options which I'm pretty sure are available over the next 2-3 years. Some we could get for this year. If in 2021 we are unable to gather many great forwards then we should resign Tolman. If we get more than 1-2 props, 2-3 Backrowers (Depending on CHN) and 1-2 locks then I believe that we are in trouble.

Thoughts guys;
Half of the players listed aren’t off contract

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tolman has been a good servant to the club but it’s time to move on. Thompson and Napa will be the starting front row and we have more then enough options at lock.

Artybulldog 26

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
Reaction score
Tolman has been a good servant to the club but it’s time to move on. Thompson and Napa will be the starting front row and we have more then enough options at lock.
I really don't think we have many great options at lock. Elliott is there and is going well but it's contract year so. Chris Smith is our only other option. Personally I would go with Thompson and Napa as the FR and Tolman at lock with Elliott on the bench.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I really don't think we have many great options at lock. Elliott is there and is going well but it's contract year so. Chris Smith is our only other option. Personally I would go with Thompson and Napa as the FR and Tolman at lock with Elliott on the bench.
It’s not the 80’s and 90’s where a lock just tackles his ring out and makes a couple of hit ups. Jackson, Elliott and even Smith are better options at lock then Tolman. It looks like Renouf is getting a shot on an edge when the season restarts but I think he has real potential to be a Tuamololo style of lock too.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
100% agree. Guy seems to have hit a wall in the last dozen games he has played. I guess being an undersized forward in his 13th season has slowed him down.

Would be a bad move to keep him. At his best he was a fringe SOO prop. But now, barely gets 120m per game. At his peak he would run 200+ regularly and pull off 40+ tackles. Fair enough was never a battering ram Or a line bender. But was a tough front rower that did the dirty work both in attack and defence. Every premiership team needs a tolman but his best years are long gone.

Imagine 2021 with no tolman. We’ll need a new 4th tackle game plan :p

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The club needs to move forward and imo should have absolutely no interest in retaining Tolman unless there's some sort of major rule change that makes him more relevant in the current game.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jamil Hopoate
Christian Welch
Francis Molo
James Fisher Harris
Nat Butcher
Ethan Bullamore
Toby Rudolf
Billy Magoulias
Alex Walmsley
Elisea Katoa
Tyrell Fuimano
Bunty Afoa
Agnatious Passi
Nelson Asofa Solomona
James Tamou
That's a lot of options which I'm pretty sure are available over the next 2-3 years. Some we could get for this year. If in 2021 we are unable to gather many great forwards then we should resign Tolman. If we can't get more than 1-2 props, 2-3 Backrowers (Depending on CHN) and 1-2 locks then I believe that we are in trouble.

Thoughts guys;
In as far as Tolman goes I think he's coming up to his use by date,he has been a great all round stalwart for our club,and a leader of the field,you can always guarantee 40to50 tackles a game,but really he has become a liability for us in attack,has no ofload,I would gracefully retire him,with our best wishes.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tolman great in defense but needs to fend and offload with more strength.
This years comp is allover the shop and could be a chance for us to take a few names.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I really don't see the appeal for Tolman at lock. Tolman offers nothing in attack - he can't pass a ball, he's slow and isn't strong enough anymore. I don't think he'll be re-signed personally.

Regarding our forward pack, we've already signed Thompson. I think we should be adding a second rower like Jamil Hopoate (due to CHN drama) and obviously a hooker who basically has to be Friend unless we're able to get someone on contract (there's nothing left). I'd like a centre and another player that provides x-factor somewhere before signing another prop. If I had to pick a prop off contract I'd probably say Welch.

8. Thompson
9. Friend
10. Napa
11. J. Hopoate
12. Jackson
13. Elliott

This would be almost best case scenario.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Jordan Maclean from the Cowboys is off contract and available .. massive at 1.96m tall, very aggressive and only 27.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Jordan Maclean from the Cowboys is off contract and available .. massive at 1.96m tall, very aggressive and only 27.
He has been pretty underwhelming after joining the Cowboys wouldn't you say? I think at best you could make a case for him being solid. Not sure if he's really the player we should pay overs for to get. Maybe if he has a big year this year.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He has been pretty underwhelming after joining the Cowboys wouldn't you say? I think at best you could make a case for him being solid. Not sure if he's really the player we should pay overs for to get. Maybe if he has a big year this year.
I just looked him up. Shows how much I follow other players :p I didn’t even know he played rep footy :sweatsmile: is he that good? I never knew he was a kangaroo.

If Toomanga, Britt and Ogden can develop I think our middle forwards (assuming Thompson fires and Napa finds some impact and consistency) are solid. They should be able to compete with most other packs (maybe barring broncos). But in terms of speed, size, strength and skill in our back row we are a bit short. Especially if Stimson doesn’t fire next season.