News Bulldogs focus on Wakeham, Foran as prospect of Reynolds return fades

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Foran could offer some value at 500,000 .You would put a clause in there that would have to play a min amount of games to get full amount .
Doesn't help, whatever the maximum contract value is is what the NRL includes in the cap, not what he actually gets paid.

It is worth keeping in mind that Foran is on one of the back ended contracts that Hassler was famous (infamous) for. Going on reports (I have nothing more concrete than that) it was $3m for 3 years, something like $0.8m, $1.0 and $1.2m. So when we read reports that says he's on $1.2m "a season" that's not true, he may well be on $1.2m "this season", but it's not the whole story.

Foran's situation is unusual, when he is playing he's worth $1m, IMHO of course, but when he gets injured plainly he's not. This requires thinking outside the circle and there are a couple of recent examples. Slater was told by his surgeon that he had 2 years after his shoulder reconstruction. Melbourne retained him after that as a coach and mentor for their replacement fullbacks, not included in their Cap. Cronk, similar situation, went to the Chooks and part of his contract was the fully paid Harvard University degree (not peanuts), again not included in their Cap plus an after playing contract education in whatever he wants to study, plus a role as halves mentor, also not included in their Cap. This maybe a method we could employ for Foran, a 1 + 1 contract at a representative value (considering his propensity to get injured) included in our Cap plus a couple of years afterwards as halves mentor not included in our Cap. Whether he actually mentors or not is irrelevant.

Frankly I don't care what Foran has been paid or will be paid in the future, the only thing that matters is how much is included in our Salary Cap.

Go Dogs

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Anything under $300k.
Foran wouldn't
I think we're looking at something between 400-500k in regards to re-signing Foran. Imo anything lower is disrespectful. When fit and injury free I think Foran is worth 1m. If Foran plays 1/2 the games I think he's worth 500k, if he plays 1/3 of the games I think he's worth 350k. So for me Foran has to be somewhere between those figures. If people truly believe there will be zero interest from anyone maybe we can get Foran cheaper, I just don't think so myself.
If foz take 400k sign him for 3yrs now. I highly doubt he will take that. He has 6 kids now lol, child support.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Iv not seen much of either Hopoates - one has ben around NSW Cup for a while - are they better than what we have? - I agree with C Welch - he would add something to the side.
Albert Hopoate is 20, is a gun fullback sitting behind Tommy Turbo at the Sea Eagles. Jamil is 24 I think was outstanding in the juniors at Manly but spent time “away” for a civil misdemeanour tough & hard running edge player either centre or back row.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Albert Hopoate is 20, is a gun fullback sitting behind Tommy Turbo at the Sea Eagles. Jamil is 24 I think was outstanding in the juniors at Manly but spent time “away” for a civil misdemeanour tough & hard running edge player either centre or back row.
Hasn't Albert done his ACL multiple times already? Would Schuster or Metcalf be better players to chase at Manly?

Edit: Metcalf also done his ACL, the fucks going on at Manly :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Foran wouldn't

If foz take 400k sign him for 3yrs now. I highly doubt he will take that. He has 6 kids now lol, child support.
He's not really going to have a choice I can't see any club giving him much more then that.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Iv not seen much of either Hopoates - one has ben around NSW Cup for a while - are they better than what we have? - I agree with C Welch - he would add something to the side.
I've been wanting both Hoppa boys too, heard last night though that Albert may be heading on a morman mission... not sure how true that is though

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
I've been wanting both Hoppa boys too, heard last night though that Albert may be heading on a morman mission... not sure how true that is though
Jamil would be a nice pick up. Not too pricey, seems to be a good player with skill. But in saying that he previously did something not to so good and our coach and board only like well behaving soft cock players who ask if they are allowed to fart so unlikely unfortunately

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hasn't Albert done his ACL multiple times already? Would Schuster or Metcalf be better players to chase at Manly?

Manly backline players always have heaps of serious injuries.. Stewart, Gutherson, Foran, Matai, Hodkinson, Metcalf, Will Hopoate, Turbo...

It has to be because of that pothole filled shithole of a ground they play and train on.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d take Albert, not sure about jamil though. I know he’s served his time but what he did is pretty disgusting. Not sure i’d want someone like that in our team

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
But would you pay full price for a car that spends 70% of its time in the repair shop?
No and that's why we're not paying full price? Full price would be 1m. Something between 400-500k imo is already putting a contract forward assuming Foran is going to play 1/2 (or less) games.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No and that's why we're not paying full price? Full price would be 1m. Something between 400-500k imo is already putting a contract forward assuming Foran is going to play 1/2 (or less) games.
It’s all going to depend on how he goes for the rest of the year both form and injury wise . If he gets another serious injury then it’s no brainer that he doesn’t get a new contract . If he plays well and we win games then maybe offer a 12 month deal at 400k.

It might sound crazy to quiet a few people to even contemplate offering him a new deal but the big problem is that there ain’t many better options out there. Good half’s are as rare as open pubs these days

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This is much better news moving forward. Getting Reynolds back would be diabolical and I don’t really mind having Foran around next year now when we aren’t playing him over a million a year. Wakeham has a massive opportunity to stamp himself the halfback moving forward this year let’s hope he does it.
Theycreally need to bite the bullet now and play Averilo at the back. He has too much creativity to be shackled on the wing, or centre, he needs to get his hands on the ball and inject himself. And if there is no immediate future for him in the halves, he has to be our fb priority!!! DWZ to the wing alongside Meaney, and fingers crossed Reimis comes good at centre, and all of a sudden we have a very good back 7.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Brookvale is the worst ground in the league, its a knee surgeons dream

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Theycreally need to bite the bullet now and play Averilo at the back. He has too much creativity to be shackled on the wing, or centre, he needs to get his hands on the ball and inject himself. And if there is no immediate future for him in the halves, he has to be our fb priority!!! DWZ to the wing alongside Meaney, and fingers crossed Reimis comes good at centre, and all of a sudden we have a very good back 7.
I’d rather him off the bench but use him as a super sub like the Storm did with Papsmear. He isn’t the experienced at fullback and I’m not sure putting him back there is really doing the right thing by the kid. If he came on in the back end of the halves he could really cause some damage plus you have the entire backline covered if there’s a injury.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about the rabbits.....they have a gun 16 year old who many experts say he will be the next Greg Inglis.....he is not tied up at the rabbits....weren't we told by the club that they would be after the besy young talent....re signing Foran will stop us from signing the other talent.....how can anyone trust that his body will hold up? Have we become so desperate

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
They should make a play for jamil Hopoate and molo from the cows. He’s off contract and is a rising star.