News Bulldogs focus on Wakeham, Foran as prospect of Reynolds return fades

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don’t think the bond between Des and Foran is as great as some in this thread are making out. He said no to him plenty of times before and when he eventually said yes it was because he had a ridiculous amount of cash thrown his way.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Who do you recommend? That's half the reasoning for me. If there was a clear replacement I'd be less inclined to keep Foran (Milford was one player, but he's not available anymore anyways). I'm not confident with what we have tho (for/ready for next year). There is also a flipside to Foran, what happens if he plays 75% of the games? Are Wakeham, Lewis and Cogger decent halves? We already have players in that mould I think. I just think when you weigh up everything it could be beneficial to keep Foran for one to two more years but it's heavily reliant on the price.
Good question. I don't profess to know every player in lower grades and their contract status BUT their must be someone out there between OZ. NZ, Fiji, PNG, England etc. That's the job of our recruiters to identify and snap up. Bearing in mind that contracts don't seem to mean anything anymore anyways. Surely Foran should be required to prove some form of fitness prior to be given another contract? Fitness that involves staying on the field otherwise how is that any different to how he was signed in the first place by Des? We all know bodies don't get better with age so that's a low bet thinking he will somehow change. All I'm saying is he should prove time on the field before any sort of contract discussion should occur. Some say that other club's would be interested. Well if Foran's repeated chime of "repaying the club" is any form of true then he will let us have first dibs in that instance.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wouldnt mind Reynolds off the bench if he came cheap.. He always adds some spark as a bench utility ..

Ppl bag him out and he has brain explosions.. but his tenacity and energy won us countless games over the years also..

Several games come to mind VS Dragons at ANZ Queens Bday.. Many times VS Manly especially all the golden point games: from the SF where he got us a repeat set in Golden Point kicking it into the ref, to winning a golden point penalty that Hodko slotted over at Brooky, to winning golden point for us VS Manly at ANZ with his kick chase try..

Cant bag the guy out.. frusterating yes but always gave his all.. which you can only respect..

Last edited:

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any more than 350k he's having a laugh imo... Owes us that 1 year deal with an option for 2 in clubs favour on minimal coin if he's serious about staying and can get through the rest of this season. Personally I see him winning a comp with Des in 2021 just to rub salt in the wound
I can't see him staying,for anything under 500k,which means he most likely won't hang around,and at almost 30 unlikely,unlikely anyone will be offering big dollars.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
the club in talks with foran already lol, what are they scared another club is going to come in and sign a busted up player whos breaks down from just sneezing

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Good news if we can lock Wakeham up a bit longer and see how he goes starting. Great for him to play along side experience like Foran but resigning Foran means Averillo’s chance of playing his best position (in many opinion) at 6 is going to be pushed back... I’d rather build the team around Wakeham and Averillo.. behind a strong pack I think they have an opportunity to develop... no real hooker is a concern though..

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I can't see him staying,for anything under 500k,which means he most likely won't hang around,and at almost 30 unlikely,unlikely anyone will be offering big dollars.
If it's unlikely no one will offer him big dollars why wouldn't he accept under 500k? The other options are Super League and Japan (?) I guess. We shouldn't compete with those offers. I think there will be some clubs interested myself, just not for a lot of money, not much more (if more at all) than I think we should offer Foran.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In a sign of what little interest there is at the Bulldogs in a homecoming for Josh Reynolds, Canterbury officials are close to announcing a new deal for fellow playmaker Brandon Wakeham and preliminary talks have begun with Kieran Foran.

There have been plenty of headlines suggesting former favourite son Reynolds could leave Wests Tigers to return to Belmore in time for the season relaunch.
The Tigers are happy for Reynolds to find a club where he will play regular first grade but will tip in only the bare minimum of his whopping $750,000-a-season price tag for next year.

But the Dogs are looking to the future with 21-year-old Wakeham, and Foran is keen to repay the faith shown by the club during an injury-plagued three seasons
Jack Cogger is another off-contract playmaker Canterbury are interested in but their main targets are Wakeham and Foran.
Foran, on $1.2 million this season, is one of the best-paid players in the game but has conceded his next deal will be for much less.

Nobody questions his toughness, class and experience, the problem is keeping him on the park long enough to win games and nurture youngsters like Wakeham.

Wakeham, who started in the Bulldogs' opening two games alongside Lachlan Lewis, is expected to have his new two-year contract announced before the club's first game back against Des Hasler's Manly.
Before he left the club, Hasler paid big dollars to lure Foran to Canterbury. He backed the Kiwi to bounce back to his best when asked on Saturday about the Sea Eagles' premiership winner
"It's great to see Kieran back and at 100 per cent," Hasler said. "They'll need him and he's a really great addition to any side, particularly the Bulldogs. He's a great player and one we'll need to watch carefully.

"There's a lot of footy left in Kieran Foran, and he's just such a competitor. People don't understand how mentally strong he is. He's been through a bit and he's certainly resilient. That will be really advantageous for the Bulldogs.
Canterbury still have two spots to fill and are waiting to find out from the NRL if they need to replace sacked duo Corey Harawira-Naera and Jayden Okunbor.

Meanwhile, Hasler was unsure where Manly would play their first few games but put the red pen through Brookvale Oval.

The Sun-Herald understands the NRL will reveal the full draw next Thursday but only the first seven or eight rounds of venues.

One sticking point is finding sites the NRL can have exclusive access to as part of its biosecurity measures.

Central Coast Stadium could emerge as a regular ground for the Sea Eagles, especially with the New Zealand Warriors being based in the area, Newcastle not having to travel far if momentarily forced out of McDonald Jones Stadium and the fact South Sydney have taken games to the holiday strip up the M1 Motorway.
Reading between the lines, Lewis has done his dash. The half spot to partner Foran is now Wakeham’s to lose.
We dodged a bullet on going cold on Reynolds. I really hope our recruitment team are holding their cards tight to their chest. We are the ONLY club with genuine money to make 3-4 major signings that will lift us to Top 4 contention.
Glaringly our biggest weakness:-Would love to see either J Friend & C McInnes as hooker.
Hastings, J Clifford, or even Sezer in the halves.
Both Albert & Jamil Hopoate great talents .
Ideally J Tamou or C Welch -big body to enhance the game & effectiveness of Napa/To’omaga

Last edited:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s the obvious choice, wasn’t rocket science lol. Good to hear....!!

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I fear this could mean we are struggling to attract marquee signings
If Foran intends on repaying the Bulldogs, here is how to do it...
He should prove himself for the rest of the season then give the Bulldogs the first option on a reasonably reduced fee !
Wakeham's news is positive !!!

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I honestly think this could be the saddest thread I've ever read on this site. My god how this once mighty club has fallen.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I honestly think this could be the saddest thread I've ever read on this site. My god how this once mighty club has fallen.
Fair point..

BUT..
this great club will be back again, we’ve been down for a very long time, all of a sudden we will find our sweet spot, we will sign the key players and the formula will click, ONCE again we will be feared, victorious..!! It’s been a long road, but the success is near, has to be, we want it too be. KEEP THE FAITH.

when ? Who knows.. but it will happen, No one Can keep this MIGHTY BULLDOGS club down forever.!!!

The Only way is up from here.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
happy to give wakeham time to nurture but Foran should not be given any contract renewal, he IS a liability and has offered no return on investment...
I get your train of thought but think it doesn't work for a team sport. Ok he plays 50% (if lucky) games and gets injured again, the constant lack of cohesion to the team in covering him comes into play. We know this all too well already. Then he comes back, pisses off the young bloke trying to get a understanding happening with the team and takes a confidence hit. Especially if he starts to come good and then Foran comes back, gets dropped and then says, fuk this I'm going where a club isn't dumb. Then there's the financial side of things, 500k is more then enough to secure a young good solid player on the rise who will play 100% of the games. Hell you could get 2 half decent players for 500k while old mate is in rehab again.
Common sense is very uncommon around here it should be forbidden, and you should both be banned. I just hope that all the talk of resigning Foran is just a ploy to either get another club to take him off our hands or perhaps to let him think he's wanted, which indirectly may help him play with more confidence IF and WHEN he manages to get on the field.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Reading between the lines, Lewis has done his dash. The half spot to partner Foran is now Wakeham’s to lose.
We dodged a bullet on going cold on Reynolds. I really hope our recruitment team are holding their cards tight to their chest. We are the ONLY with genuine money to make 3-4 major signings that will lift us to Top 4 contention.
Glaringly our biggest weakness:-Would love to see either J Friend & C McInnes as hooker.
Ideally J Tamou or C Welch -big body to enhance the game & effectiveness of Napa/To’omaga
I know it won't happen but I wish we could have Ben Hunt as our hooker. He's got say 2-3 years left in him imo and he's on mega bucks and not setting the world on fire at 7 anymore.
Dragons should pay some of his wage, fuck off Norman and pick up Clifford and Burton... they'd have a gun young halves pairing and we will have an excellent hooker who proven himself to be quite a threat there at rep level. Again I know it won't happen but would be great for both clubs... Just sick of having shit hooker, B.Smith would be ideal also, but I just can't see that happening either especially if we take Reynolds as Tigers will have the cash then and theyd take him if Storm take Grant back etc.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In a sign of what little interest there is at the Bulldogs in a homecoming for Josh Reynolds, Canterbury officials are close to announcing a new deal for fellow playmaker Brandon Wakeham and preliminary talks have begun with Kieran Foran.

There have been plenty of headlines suggesting former favourite son Reynolds could leave Wests Tigers to return to Belmore in time for the season relaunch.
The Tigers are happy for Reynolds to find a club where he will play regular first grade but will tip in only the bare minimum of his whopping $750,000-a-season price tag for next year.

But the Dogs are looking to the future with 21-year-old Wakeham, and Foran is keen to repay the faith shown by the club during an injury-plagued three seasons
Jack Cogger is another off-contract playmaker Canterbury are interested in but their main targets are Wakeham and Foran.
Foran, on $1.2 million this season, is one of the best-paid players in the game but has conceded his next deal will be for much less.

Nobody questions his toughness, class and experience, the problem is keeping him on the park long enough to win games and nurture youngsters like Wakeham.

Wakeham, who started in the Bulldogs' opening two games alongside Lachlan Lewis, is expected to have his new two-year contract announced before the club's first game back against Des Hasler's Manly.
Before he left the club, Hasler paid big dollars to lure Foran to Canterbury. He backed the Kiwi to bounce back to his best when asked on Saturday about the Sea Eagles' premiership winner
"It's great to see Kieran back and at 100 per cent," Hasler said. "They'll need him and he's a really great addition to any side, particularly the Bulldogs. He's a great player and one we'll need to watch carefully.

"There's a lot of footy left in Kieran Foran, and he's just such a competitor. People don't understand how mentally strong he is. He's been through a bit and he's certainly resilient. That will be really advantageous for the Bulldogs.
Canterbury still have two spots to fill and are waiting to find out from the NRL if they need to replace sacked duo Corey Harawira-Naera and Jayden Okunbor.

Meanwhile, Hasler was unsure where Manly would play their first few games but put the red pen through Brookvale Oval.

The Sun-Herald understands the NRL will reveal the full draw next Thursday but only the first seven or eight rounds of venues.

One sticking point is finding sites the NRL can have exclusive access to as part of its biosecurity measures.

Central Coast Stadium could emerge as a regular ground for the Sea Eagles, especially with the New Zealand Warriors being based in the area, Newcastle not having to travel far if momentarily forced out of McDonald Jones Stadium and the fact South Sydney have taken games to the holiday strip up the M1 Motorway.
Foran is too injury prone to be offered another contract, it would only take one injury to sideline him again and that money would be better spent elsewhere.
Actually I'll be pissed off if our club offers Foran even one season as it will prove how shit Pay is to think a player who has been injured more then on the field.

hotdogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Foran could offer some value at 500,000 .You would put a clause in there that would have to play a min amount of games to get full amount .
I would only offer a year with club option for another .
I think in that time with Wakeham and Bailey biondi-ono coming through we will be set in the halves as i do see future potential in Bailey .
We also have Averillo who can be used 5/8 ,centre .
The future is looking good in halves and that future is very near which is good .

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Considering no-one will be looking to sign Foran why would we even entertain it let alone now. If they think they must sign him again why would you not wait until the end of the season atleast to see if he gets broken again? That's just poor decision making IMO.

Well done to Wakeham.

oh yeah and then a club sweeps him up and we get caught with our pants down and then he wins a comp with some other club.

if he a knowledges his next contract will be a downgrade let’s sign him up now because when he is playing he is one of the best!

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

This was meant to be done much earlier before the corona crap hit. So much for him leaving us

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
We dodged a bullet on going cold on Reynolds. I really hope our recruitment team are holding their cards tight to their chest. We are the ONLY with genuine money to make 3-4 major signings that will lift us to Top 4 contention.
Iv not seen much of either Hopoates - one has ben around NSW Cup for a while - are they better than what we have? - I agree with C Welch - he would add something to the side.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think we're looking at something between 400-500k in regards to re-signing Foran. Imo anything lower is disrespectful. When fit and injury free I think Foran is worth 1m. If Foran plays 1/2 the games I think he's worth 500k, if he plays 1/3 of the games I think he's worth 350k. So for me Foran has to be somewhere between those figures. If people truly believe there will be zero interest from anyone maybe we can get Foran cheaper, I just don't think so myself.
But would you pay full price for a car that spends 70% of its time in the repair shop?