Official NRL reverts back to 1 ref for the rest of the season

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will benefit us with our playing style to be fair we ain’t the fastest team around the ruck

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a couple of friends that are right into horse racing that think Vlandys didn't actually clean up racing. They're of the opinion that he's owned by gambling agencies and covered up cheating where possible. His predecessor was well known to catch and punish cheating in the racing industry. When Vlandys took over nobody has been caught or punished in the industry during his time.

Extrapolating from that, you could look at the reduction of refs and the six again rule change as an attempt to give the game an appearance of being cleaner and less prone to having refereeing influenced outcomes. Taking the 6 again rule for instance. When a kick for touch or scrum was called, the coverage had time to replay the penalty causing incident, thus giving the fans a chance to clearly see for themselves if the refs got it wrong. A six again call will mean that they have limited time in the coverage to replay the incident.

It's no secret that fans are entirely fed up with poor refereeing. So I won't be surprised if these moves are being made to reduce the amount of footage fans have to judge whether the refs made a wrong decision.

It's a bit sad that I can't just enjoy games without being suspicious of every decision made by the administration anymore. I've been close to just giving up supporting the game for years. It's hard to stop supporting the team, but I don't watch anything but our games now. Once upon a time I'd watch three games a week and missing rep games wouldn't even cross my mind. So it's not impossible to see myself just switching off completely from league if it isn't cleaned up. But I'm not sure that it ever will be while gambling agencies have a strong link to the game. And Vlandys might just be the most powerful pawn that they've been able to entrench into the power structure of the administration yet.
You have friends into horse racing ?What type gallops or harness i held a harness license and still breed and race harness horses, he certainly cleaned up some scum in the harness racing industry before he was poached by the Gallops.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You have friends into horse racing ?What type gallops or harness i held a harness license and still breed and race harness horses, he certainly cleaned up some scum in the harness racing industry before he was poached by the Gallops.
Gallops. I'm not interested in horse racing in the slightest. Just going off what they've said.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Referee's lodge a protest to the 'Fair Work Commission' , what's so unfair?
The second ref was a nit pick whinge to keep the betting agency's happy, people gotta take the final result on the chin for right or wrong so the show goes on better than fuck all sport.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Referee's lodge a protest to the 'Fair Work Commission' , what's so unfair?
The second ref was a nit pick whinge to keep the betting agency's happy, people gotta take the final result on the chin for right or wrong so the show goes on better than fuck all sport.
Why would the betting agencies want a 2nd ref?

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We might quite conceivably be better off without some of them and to my mind will not make much difference to the standard of officiating...The comment by Vlandys about them ( referees) putting the game at risk are laughable because players are doing a pretty bang up job with that anyway. How many incidents have happened since the game went on hiatus?

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...t-top-refs-says-v-landys-20200517-p54trb.html

NRL will re-start with or without top refs, says V'landys
ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys has declared a referees strike would not stand in the way of a May 28 re-start to the season, saying the NRL has contingency plans in place if the dispute with whistleblowers tips over the edge.

The referees union is contesting the controversial decision by the governing body to revert to the one-referee system when the competition resumes on Thursday week, filling a complaint with the Fair Work Commission and preparing for another round of conciliation talks with the NRL on Tuesday

Professional Rugby League Match Officials chairman Silvio Del Vecchio said his organisation did not want to take industrial action but would not rule it out as he met with referees via video link on Sunday to gauge their views.

V’landys is adamant the game will not be dictated to by match officials and while he does not believe they will strike he said there were back-up plans if the referees took the nuclear option and sat out round one.

“All the full-time refs, none of them have lost their jobs, so what are they going on strike for?" V'landys said on Sunday. "But we’re prepared for all contingencies ... always have been. I don’t want to telecast what we’d do but we’ve got plans in place.

“I don’t think they’d get any sympathy whatsoever if they were to sabotage the game with such an action. It would be risking the game’s future if they were to do something like that.

“At the end of the day any sporting organisation should have the right to [decide on] the rules and procedures it operates under. If the game is becoming less of an entertainment product, naturally we have to change the product to ensure that we get the revenue so we can pay the refs.”

V’landys would not elaborate on the contingency plans but former NRL referee and first-grade player Luke Phillips believes League Central would look to turn to match officials from the NSW Intrust Super Premiership and the Queensland Intrust Super Cup to take over games if it came to it. They do not fall under the umbrella of the referees union, which just represents the 22 match officials in the NRL’s full-time squad.

“From my experience being in there it’s the NRL’s last resort pulling [the referees] into line,” Phillips said. “These are guys that will ref Queensland Cup, NSW Cup, that sort of stuff. They’re pretty good refs. [The NRL's] last resort is to threaten that and history has shown it has worked for them.”

Phillips argues such a development would be to the “detriment of the game”.

“The quality of refereeing outside the NRL squad ... even though they’re good referees ... the pace of the game is just a total different kettle of fish,” he said. “I’ve refereed both [levels] – to go to that jump straight off the bat, it would be quite hard for those guys week in, week out to do.”

Asked about the prospect of the NRL using lower-level referees in the event of a strike, Del Vecchio replied on Sunday: “Driving a car looks really easy until your 17-year-old son or daughter gets in a car for the first time.”

While V’landys and the NRL have signalled they won’t bend, the referees union has claimed the change to one referee is a breach of their enterprise agreement.

“There is a process. Our position is we do not want to go down that path [of industrial action] but we don’t know what’s going to happen. First and foremost it’s conciliation. If we can’t get through conciliation we go to arbitration,” Del Vecchio said.

“Arbitration is where the Fair Work commissioner makes a call and if the party that loses effectively doesn’t like that call then there are other options. But we don’t want to start thinking that far down the track. We want to get this resolved.”

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Good, hope they start without their so called best referees. That'll be Cummins and that other little man Sutton.
We might quite conceivably be better off without some of them and to my mind will not make much difference to the standard of officiating...The comment by Vlandys about them ( referees) putting the game at risk are laughable because players are doing a pretty bang up job with that anyway. How many incidents have happened since the game went on hiatus?

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...t-top-refs-says-v-landys-20200517-p54trb.html

NRL will re-start with or without top refs, says V'landys
ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys has declared a referees strike would not stand in the way of a May 28 re-start to the season, saying the NRL has contingency plans in place if the dispute with whistleblowers tips over the edge.

The referees union is contesting the controversial decision by the governing body to revert to the one-referee system when the competition resumes on Thursday week, filling a complaint with the Fair Work Commission and preparing for another round of conciliation talks with the NRL on Tuesday

Professional Rugby League Match Officials chairman Silvio Del Vecchio said his organisation did not want to take industrial action but would not rule it out as he met with referees via video link on Sunday to gauge their views.

V’landys is adamant the game will not be dictated to by match officials and while he does not believe they will strike he said there were back-up plans if the referees took the nuclear option and sat out round one.

“All the full-time refs, none of them have lost their jobs, so what are they going on strike for?" V'landys said on Sunday. "But we’re prepared for all contingencies ... always have been. I don’t want to telecast what we’d do but we’ve got plans in place.

“I don’t think they’d get any sympathy whatsoever if they were to sabotage the game with such an action. It would be risking the game’s future if they were to do something like that.

“At the end of the day any sporting organisation should have the right to [decide on] the rules and procedures it operates under. If the game is becoming less of an entertainment product, naturally we have to change the product to ensure that we get the revenue so we can pay the refs.”

V’landys would not elaborate on the contingency plans but former NRL referee and first-grade player Luke Phillips believes League Central would look to turn to match officials from the NSW Intrust Super Premiership and the Queensland Intrust Super Cup to take over games if it came to it. They do not fall under the umbrella of the referees union, which just represents the 22 match officials in the NRL’s full-time squad.

“From my experience being in there it’s the NRL’s last resort pulling [the referees] into line,” Phillips said. “These are guys that will ref Queensland Cup, NSW Cup, that sort of stuff. They’re pretty good refs. [The NRL's] last resort is to threaten that and history has shown it has worked for them.”

Phillips argues such a development would be to the “detriment of the game”.

“The quality of refereeing outside the NRL squad ... even though they’re good referees ... the pace of the game is just a total different kettle of fish,” he said. “I’ve refereed both [levels] – to go to that jump straight off the bat, it would be quite hard for those guys week in, week out to do.”

Asked about the prospect of the NRL using lower-level referees in the event of a strike, Del Vecchio replied on Sunday: “Driving a car looks really easy until your 17-year-old son or daughter gets in a car for the first time.”

While V’landys and the NRL have signalled they won’t bend, the referees union has claimed the change to one referee is a breach of their enterprise agreement.

“There is a process. Our position is we do not want to go down that path [of industrial action] but we don’t know what’s going to happen. First and foremost it’s conciliation. If we can’t get through conciliation we go to arbitration,” Del Vecchio said.

“Arbitration is where the Fair Work commissioner makes a call and if the party that loses effectively doesn’t like that call then there are other options. But we don’t want to start thinking that far down the track. We want to get this resolved.”

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Are we getting rid of touch judges? Lol

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That will make Cameron Smith a very busy boy......

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
That will make Cameron Smith a very busy boy......
Nah, now he will only have to tell 1 ref how to do his job instead of 2, half the work, twice the effect.

Go Dogs

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Nah, now he will only have to tell 1 ref how to do his job instead of 2, half the work, twice the effect.

Go Dogs
Fair point, but what I really meant was that he will be busy in that he is playing for Melbourne, refereeing that game and all the other games as in the way that the subject of this thread reads

NRL reverts back to 1 ref for the rest of the season.

HE IS AFTER ALL THE MAN.......who could be better for the job??;););););)

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Fair point, but what I really meant was that he will be busy in that he is playing for Melbourne, refereeing that game and all the other games as in the way that the subject of this thread reads

NRL reverts back to 1 ref for the rest of the season.

HE IS AFTER ALL THE MAN.......who could be better for the job??;););););)
Just waiting for the official announcement, headline “CSmith appointed as NRL Senior Manager of Referees ” sub headline “Retains roll as Melbourne Captain”.

Go Dogs

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Neither party could agree on things so ...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-19/nrl-referees-boss-stands-firm-season-restart-looms/12263572

The start of the rugby league season could hinge on the outcome of a Fair Work Commission hearing on Thursday, after mediation between the NRL and national referees association broke down today.

Key points:
  • The NRL last week announced it would move from two referees to one for the rest of the season
  • Referees Association boss said the body was not properly consulted
  • The NRL season is set to restart on May 28
The Referees Association believes the decision to reduce the number of on-field referees from two to one ahead of next week's season start date is not upholding the current enterprise bargaining agreement.

In a conciliation that lasted around three hours today, both parties failed to reach an agreement.

They made an offer to us, but it was immaterial to us and we rejected that."

Last week the NRL announced that only one on-field referee would be used for the rest of the season, in a bid to save money and make the game more entertaining.

Many of the game's stakeholders have been split on the benefits of such a move, while the referee's association have maintained they were not properly consulted

"We made an offer to the NRL with respect to helping them save some costs and a few other things, but they were rejected," said chairman of the Professional Rugby League Match Officials, Silvio Del Vecchi
Chairman of the ARL Commission Peter V'Landys attended the meeting in Sydney today and was one of the first to leave.

Mr Del Vecchio says both parties didn't really come close to reaching a resolution.

"We need to look at what's brought us here and what's brought us here is wholesale changes have been made without any consultation, without any discussion."

Mr Del Vecchio doesn't believe the dispute will stop the game from going ahead with its planned season restart next week, although he's unsure what role the referees will play.

"We went to the Fair Work Commission this morning with a desire to resolve this issue through conciliation," he said.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Refs just fuckin suck it up you nerd *****. Farout. Fair work commission yeah good one. They probably told the refs you don’t have a leg to stand on.