Opinion War chest 2.0

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If they sign Reynolds at half his current contract, they would have roughly $2 million in cap space tied up in Napa, Lewis, Reynolds and Jackson for next year.

All of those decisions and contracts were made by the current regime. This is how other clubs spend $2 million..

Taumalolo, Drinkwater, Robson and Asiata would cost less.

Haas, Fifita, Staggs and Flegler would cost less.

Arrow, Murray, Knight and Burns would cost less.

Bateman, Cotric, CNK and Horsburgh would cost less.

I know which players I'd rather have. It's good to see that the club is managing the cap so well and aren't repeating the mistakes Dib, Hasler and Castle made as they promised they wouldn't..
It's a big leap to assume that you know all of these combinations are on $2million. All I know about the salary cap spending is that I know nothing. All we can judge on is the players we lure to the club. So I'll reserve the criticism or congratulations until we see next year's roster.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's a big leap to assume that you know all of these combinations are on $2million. All I know about the salary cap spending is that I know nothing. All we can judge on is the players we lure to the club. So I'll reserve the criticism or congratulations until we see next year's roster.
I would assume other books would have most of these on more than 2 mil. Only one maybe Raiders, but wont be long until CNK gets an upgrade, no one heard of him before last season, our turn to get that type of player come through and think we have 2-3 in the ranks already.
Broncs list there would command over 2.5 mil anywhere else at least. All future stars and Kangaroos.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I would assume other books would have most of these on more than 2 mil. Only one maybe Raiders, but wont be long until CNK gets an upgrade, no one heard of him before last season, our turn to get that type of player come through and think we have 2-3 in the ranks already.
Broncs list there would command over 2.5 mil anywhere else at least. All future stars and Kangaroos.
CNK got an upgrade already. From almost minimum wage to ~330k. There isn't much difference between CNK and DWZ (very similar players) and we're paying more than ~1.5x the amount.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
CNK got an upgrade already. From almost minimum wage to ~330k. There isn't much difference between CNK and DWZ (very similar players) and we're paying more than ~1.5x the amount.
330 is nothing for him though is what im saying.
Not a lot would agree, but id still rather DWZ, don't know what hes getting paid and doesn't concern me really. He needs to up his game/confidence at the back or be moved if no improvement soon though.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
330 is nothing for him though is what im saying.
Not a lot would agree, but id still rather DWZ, don't know what hes getting paid and doesn't concern me really. He needs to up his game/confidence at the back or be moved if no improvement soon though.
Not sure what he's worth because he's a fullback that struggles to ball play. I think if he wants another upgrade he's going to have to improve a lot in that area. I think he's solid or good in almost every other area tho. Going off last year I'd have to say CNK is better and higher rated as a fullback than DWZ. The money DWZ is on does concern you, especially if you're one of those people who want him moved to the wing (also Panthers v2?). It could also be the difference between signing another difference maker or not (that's what happens when you have too many players in the squad on more than what they're worth - not a lot you can do for a club in our position). I think we had to re-sign him so not like we had much of a choice anyways. It was very unlikely he was going to perform like he did last year this year tho.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’m not going back and forth with you about salaries lol no one knows. And I dare say if DWZ had a squad anywhere near what the Raiders had compared to the juniors we had it would be a no contest. What he brought to our club mid last year you cannot put a price on.
We have more experience in our team we will see some better results. Starts with a hooker and at least a decent centre. I’m happy to give Wakeham and Averillo a go if Foran is out.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I’m not going back and forth with you about salaries lol no one knows. And I dare say if DWZ had a squad anywhere near what the Raiders had compared to the juniors we had it would be a no contest. What he brought to our club mid last year you cannot put a price on.
We have more experience in our team we will see some better results. Starts with a hooker and at least a decent centre. I’m happy to give Wakeham and Averillo a go if Foran is out.
You don't have to go back and fourth with me. If you don't want to believe DWZ is on a much bigger contract than CNK then good for you. Raiders are a top team now so they can get away with having players as good as ours or better on less. I know DWZ was impactful last year and he was playing in a bottom four roster. CNK also had the same impact on the Raiders from round one tho (he also made it possible for the Wighton switch to five-eighth). CNK had the better season and is rated higher as a fullback slightly. Everyone knows we need a hooker and centre. JMK and Katoa not good enough, Reimis isn't a centre and we never replaced J. Morris.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
id be going after albert hopoate, we're light on backs with x factor and hes on the cusp of first grade. had a few injuries but is a weapon when hes on. Could get will in his ear and possibly get him on the cheaper side now before he's an established first grader
Nasheed here,
He's too green and our teams still green. We need peopel who are past being nervous getting their first grade debut etc

hooker - smith or McInnes
Prop- any big nice guy (a Pritchard, Eastwood equivalent)
Half- I'm conflicted. Depends how Foran holds this year. But if he doesn't, this seven needs to be a genuine star. A busy organising player like how Kimmorley was. I keep thinking we should try to poach Mitch Pearce. Great experienced club player. Cherry Evans is my ideal but no way he's breaking the richest contract in the NrL. I also want wighton but is he an organiser? He's the best attacking 5/8 in the game today. If we kept Foran, having wighton complementing him makes us the best halves combo.

back- someone young with spark and on the up, but a premium kind of player.

Also, If we can Get the big bopper I describe, we should look at Bateman, who offsets a big guy, but whom I don't think suits the team in its current mixture, despite being the most talented bulldogs type player in the nrl. We need size firstly.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
On the Bateman Rumours, I keep thinking he will end up on the Gold Coast on a massive contract, he's what they need, and he will like the GC life. And he doesn't care about playing in a traditional NRL team you'd think. Guy grew up following Bradford and Wigan and that.

I just feel that's how his scenario will play out.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You don't have to go back and fourth with me. If you don't want to believe DWZ is on a much bigger contract than CNK then good for you. Raiders are a top team now so they can get away with having players as good as ours or better on less. I know DWZ was impactful last year and he was playing in a bottom four roster. CNK also had the same impact on the Raiders from round one tho (he also made it possible for the Wighton switch to five-eighth). CNK had the better season and is rated higher as a fullback slightly. Everyone knows we need a hooker and centre. JMK and Katoa not good enough, Reimis isn't a centre and we never replaced J. Morris.
Of course he is on a bigger contract ffs, and deserves to be. They got lucky and good on em. Now it’s our turn

Last edited:

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lewis can defend - he is too slow - running, passing and kicking - to be a threat with the ball. The club moved him into the centres a few years back - defended exceptionally well - but just too slow.
I recall his first stint in FG 2 years ago where Commentators like A Johns got hard watching how much time Lewis had in kicking the ball...he simply needs Foran on the field...then will find his mojo again. Nobody can question his toughness in defence though...just ask Sam Burgess.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Another interesting thread, great reading, and even better opinions 8-)

Thanks peeps..!!

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I recall his first stint in FG 2 years ago where Commentators like A Johns got hard watching how much time Lewis had in kicking the ball...he simply needs Foran on the field...then will find his mojo again. Nobody can question his toughness in defence though...just ask Sam Burgess.
True, but since then teams have worked him out

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He had time because he stops like an idiot and the kick chase can't time their run, bloke is shit, end of.