Opinion Current situation regarding the future of Luke Thompson

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Let me provide an example relating to the concept of context, you posted (the complete post, unedited);
That means you are a flat earther, don't believe that Neil Armstrong walked on the moon and think LM is the next GI.

So back then you weren't sure if the virus was real or not?

I know in both posts that's not what you "meant" but viewed in isolation from the other posts before it that's what you "said". That's why context is important, and we were talking about Covid-19's effect on the NRL, not the whole world.

Go Dogs
Oh the irony... You of all people complaining about people taking things out of context.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Keep digging oldmate.
Regardless of what context you try to put it, anyone can go back and read my posts (you are now painfully trying to use to justify your dribble) and see that I was being sarcastic to make a point. However, your direct quote (NRL related or not) "My view is that most things will go back to normal in a few weeks, some things might take a couple of months, but in a year we will have completely forgotten what corona virus even is."
It was either silly, misguided or just fucking stupid and is/was completely wrong in any context. For the record you are expert and picking apart anyone's comments on these threads particularly if they appear to show any negativity towards Pay. Multiple posts can be brought up if you wish that show the lengths you will go to and also google to find answers that suit your comments, regardless of the context.
Like I said, put the shovel down.
Your out of context quoting is no better or worse than mine.

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Oh the irony... You of all people complaining about people taking things out of context.
Oh, I'm not complaining, just pointing out that out of context quoting is a tool available to all.

FWIW, I think your particular compliant is what you believe was an out of context response, which is not even close to the same.

Go Dogs

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can see the headlines now: Tempers flare on Bulldogs fan site as Wuhan virus blamed for every death in 2020. Or maybe....Lockdown causes brain fade as Bulldogs forget how useless a half Josh Reynolds was.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Absolutely mad statement if I'm honest. Baffling that anyone could even think of that, let alone state it in a public forum. Each to their own I guess.
He deserves a stint on the sidelines for these insensitive comments

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He deserves a stint on the sidelines for these insensitive comments
Imagine you're taking the piss by saying that, though I'm not sure why?

But ... to be clear. I don't agree with his views in the slightest, but each person is welcome to their own thoughts. Last thing I want to see is people being banned for simply saying what's on their mind especially considering that he hasn't been abusive to anyone or anything like that. As I said, each to their own.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Imagine you're taking the piss by saying that, though I'm not sure why?

But ... to be clear. I don't agree with his views in the slightest, but each person is welcome to their own thoughts. Last thing I want to see is people being banned for simply saying what's on their mind especially considering that he hasn't been abusive to anyone or anything like that. As I said, each to their own.
Agreed. I personally think the world would be in a better position with the virus if a few nations had taken the threat more seriously early on. People getting pissy about the comments of others is probably the most annoying thing about this forum.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agreed. I personally think the world would be in a better position with the virus if a few nations had taken the threat more seriously early on. People getting pissy about the comments of others is probably the most annoying thing about this forum.
Huh?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It feels pretty pointless seeing a large portion of a thread taken up by two people going back and forth with one argument. Disagree and move on or perhaps try to move the argument to the relevant thread (try the corinavirus thread). Doesn't really matter who is right or wrong when the argument just becomes a pointless pissing contest that is only tenuously relevant to what the thread is about. It's quite clear that different parts of the world dealt with this virus very differently. China realised quickly how serious it was and acted accordingly, as such they're seemingly on top of it. Places like America took an age to react and as a result they're still up shit creek. Early on I thought it would be dealt with better and the consequences wouldn't be as serious as they are. But inaction in many countries has increased the severity and duration of the virus.

But all of this is one small aspect of the Thompson situation and the back and forth between you and Twin turbo is childish. I just wish both of you would act like adults and stop trying to score points in a pointless argument. Neither of you has linked this argument to whether it affects the Thompson contract in a while, so it's largely just irrelevant point scoring now.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
anyway back on thompson any chance we get him early?
I think it would hinge on whether super league has a chance of resuming this season. England and Europe seem to be having bigger issues dealing with Covid 19 than us if the club's over there can't see the game resuming they might agree to let him join us this year.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I think it would hinge on whether super league has a chance of resuming this season. England and Europe seem to be having bigger issues dealing with Covid 19 than us if the club's over there can't see the game resuming they might agree to let him join us this year.
He’d also have to get an exemption to Australia’s border being closed, not being a citizen or having PR (assuming his Bulldogs contract is an employment visa only). So far even people who’ve lived here for years but don’t have PR who happened to be overseas at the time of the border closure have been denied re-entry from Rona hotspots having been deemed not critical to return as part of risk mitigation. So he really has two hurdles to jump - St. Helens and/or ESL letting him go early and the Australian Government letting him in.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
He’d also have to get an exemption to Australia’s border being closed, not being a citizen or having PR (assuming his Bulldogs contract is an employment visa only). So far even people who’ve lived here for years but don’t have PR who happened to be overseas at the time of the border closure have been denied re-entry from Rona hotspots having been deemed not critical to return as part of risk mitigation. So he really has two hurdles to jump - St. Helens and/or ESL letting him go early and the Australian Government letting him in.
I would ad another, registering the contract with the NRL before June 30, if the cut off is still June 30. Plus his contract value would be included in this years cap. Not that that should be an issue, we should have the space.

Go Dogs

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It feels pretty pointless seeing a large portion of a thread taken up by two people going back and forth with one argument. Disagree and move on or perhaps try to move the argument to the relevant thread (try the corinavirus thread). Doesn't really matter who is right or wrong when the argument just becomes a pointless pissing contest that is only tenuously relevant to what the thread is about. It's quite clear that different parts of the world dealt with this virus very differently. China realised quickly how serious it was and acted accordingly, as such they're seemingly on top of it. Places like America took an age to react and as a result they're still up shit creek. Early on I thought it would be dealt with better and the consequences wouldn't be as serious as they are. But inaction in many countries has increased the severity and duration of the virus.

But all of this is one small aspect of the Thompson situation and the back and forth between you and Twin turbo is childish. I just wish both of you would act like adults and stop trying to score points in a pointless argument. Neither of you has linked this argument to whether it affects the Thompson contract in a while, so it's largely just irrelevant point scoring now.
Ok.. Alan79. Happy to cop criticism anytime, warranted or not. But of all the debating, arguing and sometime down right abusive commentary on threads here you choose to fire up over this stousch.

I don't recall ever having any major difference of opinion with you previously, maybe I missed something..

That said, I've had my giggle and it's a Thompson thread so I will go play somewhere else.

Last edited:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I would ad another, registering the contract with the NRL before June 30, if the cut off is still June 30. Plus his contract value would be included in this years cap. Not that that should be an issue, we should have the space.

Go Dogs
To play in 2020, yes, correct.
Maybe just let him arrive after 1 July so he’s not playing this season (as originally intended) but gets extra time to attend games, get closer to the pace and feel of the NRL, bond and train with his 2021 teammates longer etc. Not sure how beneficial that is as opposed to arriving before 1 November, but any extra time to settle in to a new life on the other side of the world ain’t a bad thing before starting work. I guess at this stage it’s just hard to see him getting an exemption to enter Australia before 30 June, but you never know your luck in the big city.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Surly Thompson has a PR. His contract is for 4 years right? I might be wrong but don't you need a PR in order to work in Australia for 4 years straight. I don't think there is any other visa that allows you to work here that long.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ok.. Alan79. Happy to cop criticism anytime, warranted or not. But of all the debating, arguing and sometime down right abusive commentary on threads here you choose to fire up over this stousch.

I don't recall ever having any major difference of opinion with you previously, maybe I missed something..

That said, I've had my giggle and it's a Thompson thread so I will go play somewhere else.
I'm not even getting fired up, simply pointing out that it's a nuisance. A good deal of threads these days wind up being petty little shitfights about comments unrelated to the context of the thread. It's pretty annoying to have to wade through it to actually discuss the issue of a thread.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Surly Thompson has a PR. His contract is for 4 years right? I might be wrong but don't you need a PR in order to work in Australia for 4 years straight. I don't think there is any other visa that allows you to work here that long.
Depends. Possible but I'd say in terms of not putting the cart before the horse it's less likely a PR visa has been applied for immediately. His contract is 3 years. Does he want to come permanently / has made that decision now? Don't know. I'd say most likely he'll be under an employer sponsored visa sub-class, which gives him 2 years and can be renewed for the second part of his contract. At that stage if he wants to stay in Australia longer and is likely to re-sign for the Dogs beyond his initial 3 years, the Dogs might then apply for the PR option. I could be wrong, but regardless I think his chances of getting into Australia before 30 June (to play this year) in the absence of PR are slim.