News Rabbitohs centre James Roberts checks into rehabilitation facility

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
James Roberts’ career is at the crossroads with the South Sydney and former Broncos star checking himself into a rehabilitation facility.

News Corp can reveal Roberts admitted himself to rehab two weeks ago following private discussions with South Sydney officials including chief executive Blake Solly and coach Wayne Bennett.

The Rabbitohs are rallying around Roberts and will release a statement Tuesday confirming his stint in rehabilitation.

It is the third time the former NSW Origin ace has sought professional help after two previous visits to an overseas rehab facility in Thailand to address issues with alcohol, anxiety and depression.

Souths officials are deeply concerned for Roberts’ emotional wellbeing and have been providing support over the past 14 days.

It is understood alcohol abuse is not at the core of Roberts’ current situation, with the 27-year-old instead dealing with some personal demons.

Just 12 months ago, Roberts was thrown a lifeline by the Rabbitohs and Bennett, his former coach at the Broncos, after falling out of favour at Red Hill under new Brisbane coach Anthony Seibold.

Once regarded as the fastest man in the NRL, ‘The Jet’ had a mixed return to Redfern, scoring one try from 12 games last year.

Determined to recapture his speed and attacking thrust, Roberts had a promising off-season, stripping several kilos this year in a bid to reclaim his NSW Origin jumper.

But Roberts has struggled during the coronavirus pandemic and has gone off the rails in recent weeks, prompting him to seek fresh help with another stint in rehab.

It is not known how long Roberts will remain in rehab. The Rabbitohs are hopeful he will not retire and will return to rugby league at some stage later this season, having lost 8.5kg over summer in a big to reclaim league’s fastest man tag.

Although he is unlikely to feature in Souths’ line-up for the NRL’s planned return on May 28.

Roberts first went into rehab during his time at the Broncos in 2016 before a second trip to Thailand in 2018.

In 2017 Bennett revealed the extent of Roberts’ problems, which included drug use.

Two years ago, Roberts spoke of his private battles, admitting getting the best out of himself in the NRL was a daily battle.

“I’m still a work in progress,” he told the NRL’s official website.

“I’m always going to have problems in my life. It’s just a matter of dealing with them the right way.

“I have certain tools and methods I use when I feel like I’m feeling those kind of pressures. They are the stuff I learnt in Thailand and just by growing as a person.

“I’ve learnt to avoid certain things and talk about my problems with people I trust. It helps a lot.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...y/news-story/9d41f6fd7d065f44f1ab8b0b481c3134

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the issue is but cutting out all forms of alcohol and medicinal drugs usually helps clean players up - maybe he should try that.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just a few weeks ago my mate told me Roberts had been on a bender for ages and wouldn't play when the comp started back up. He swore me to secrecy but it came out sooner than I thought..

Souths were dumb to sign Roberts in the first place and they paid quite a lot for him. 500k or so. Bennett thinks he can mentor or save everyone but unfortunately Roberts is too hell bent on self-destruction.

I wish Roberts well and hope he can get his life back together somehow.

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They’ll probably come out now and blame it on racism just like his mate Mitchell.

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This was always going to happen

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't this the organisation that declares itself the club for the Indigenous player and isn't Bennett supposed to be able to get the best out of them?

Not often you see two myths exposed in one story.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
At least he didn’t post his exploits on social media I guess while on this bender

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Can see another bogus "medical retirement" coming up. Then he can hit the piss and drugs with GI and Sammy whilst claiming a "mentor" role at the Rabbits to justify his exhorbitant wage whilst putting his head through the clubs doors once a month for an hour. The Rabbits are the masters of that sort of dodgy horseshit.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’ve heard that this guy smokes meth.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
And they say we've got a culture problem. Is it any wonder Bennett wants out.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
At least he didn’t post his exploits on social media I guess while on this bender
Too drunk to figure out how to post on his Instagram probably :laughing:

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If he played for us he would be painted in a bad light not a ‘brave’ ‘poor guy’ theme

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is not a comment on the Roberts situation

Genuine mental health issues are serious n should be given due professional treatment.

Not getting what you want all the time, having to deal with the consequences of ones own choices and actions n feeling sorry for your self as a result then claiming mental health is pathetic and makes the situation for those with genuine issues the more dire.

Ben Ikin has a good article on a similar theme

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No sympathy for the ****, he’s had his chances. If it was too much, he should have quit ages ago but chose to stay in the limelight of playing professional footy.

To quote Dolph from Rocky: “if he dies, he dies”

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Joel Thompson already sort of did
Thompson has really turned into an old moll these days. He was a gun footy player 4-5 years ago but his decline on the field seems to correlate with his whiny statements off it. He'll end up the editor of Koori Woman's Day this bloke. Give it a rest Joel and hit the tackling bags son.