2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
So we are at a disadvantage I'm guessing. If that's the case, all the other teams that were penalized eg sharks manly and tigers should have there cap lowered based on percentages. We had to ride it out for 3 years to earn the so called War Chest.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So we are at a disadvantage I'm guessing. If that's the case, all the other teams that were penalized eg sharks manly and tigers should have there cap lowered based on percentages. We had to ride it out for 3 years to earn the so called War Chest.
I can't see it being a big disadvantage if at all. Clubs with big money contracts existing won't have the values rolled back if I'm reading this right unless greedy player managers can be convinced to renegotiate for the good of clubs. So it's only going to be new contracts with this clause. It's entirely possible that a number of clubs will have a hoard of players on inflated salaries if the cap is reduced. Might mean that some good players will become available in an attempt to balance the budget. And while we still have a good amount of money to spend we'll be in a position to negotiate with a lot of these players. If all contracts signed and registered this year are included it might help us by reducing the price of a few of our big names.

So overall I think it probably puts us at an advantage if there is a significant reduction in the salary cap. The big losers out of this will be the players and clubs who have a lot of talent on long term contracts already.

But as the article already mentioned, this still has to be agreed to by the players association. This will put pressure on the NRL administration to get their sponsors to honour existing deals.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
@NPC83

"Players signed and registered will now have a clause in their contract that allows for a reduction in contract value should the NRL and the Rugby League Players Association agree to a decrease in next year’s salary cap."

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
@NPC83

"Players signed and registered will now have a clause in their contract that allows for a reduction in contract value should the NRL and the Rugby League Players Association agree to a decrease in next year’s salary cap."
Lol this was only confirmed today. Remember durinittle argument it started with you saying you don’t buy into not signing players due to salary cap reduction etc etc. nothing wrong with the principal of it cause it makes sense but now player managers know the playing field. Before they didn’t and that’s why there no signings that and you couldn’t register contracts so they didn’t do it. Plus if you read the article in full the RLPA need to agree so I stand buy my comment and only now we know the playing field. And I think it advantages us because we still have cap space that others don’t have Fifita for example may move his asking price knowing that a reduction in cap is possible. We didn’t know that before so it was a legitimate reason not to sign a contract. Simple really you wait till you know the circumstances.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What will happen to players that have agreed to play for new club next year, like luke thompson? All agreements signed for next year must mean nothing now as they were signed without the clause

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
To vary a contract both signatories need to agree, since neither the NRL or the RLPA are parties in player contracts then they can say all they like, agree on Cap reductions etc. Until the contract parties agree, that’s the player and the club, then existing contracts are enforceable at law. If I was a player and his manager and the club wanted to reduce my existing contract from, say, $350k (around the NRL players average) for next year to $250k I’d be telling them to fark off. Why should my family suffer because the NRL stuffed up their finances hugely due to their years of incompetence.

This year is somewhat different having a reduced number of games (22 rounds versus 25), as a result the already agreed 20% pay cut for the rest of the season is more palpable. But next year it’s the full 25 rounds, so that justification doesn’t exist.

Also related, if the NRL wants to reduce the cap then shouldn’t the 30 registered players requirement also be reduced? This is important for us because we already have 2 players gone. Hence down to 28, which may well mean that we are closer to the reduced for 2021 cap than other clubs stuck with 30 players registered.

In summary, just because the Salary Cap is reduced for next year doesn’t mean that every single player has to take a pay cut. A club can manage its salary cap however it likes, just as long as it complies. Obviously the more “valuable” players are in a stronger negotiating position and more able to maintain their contract value. They are more “valuable” to other clubs which is their bargaining advantage. My guess is the top 4 or 5 players at each club won’t be copping the same % reduction (if any reduction at all) as the less “valuable” players.

Go Dogs

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
What will happen to players that have agreed to play for new club next year, like luke thompson? All agreements signed for next year must mean nothing now as they were signed without the clause
If the contract is registered with the NRL then it’s the same as any other contract, binding on both parties and enforceable at law.

Go Dogs

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are pushing players towards us cause the managers well their current players who are unhappy with their money, don’t worry we will pick up a few good names

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
To vary a contract both signatories need to agree, since neither the NRL or the RLPA are parties in player contracts then they can say all they like, agree on Cap reductions etc. Until the contract parties agree, that’s the player and the club, then existing contracts are enforceable at law. If I was a player and his manager and the club wanted to reduce my existing contract from, say, $350k (around the NRL players average) for next year to $250k I’d be telling them to fark off. Why should my family suffer because the NRL stuffed up their finances hugely due to their years of incompetence.

This year is somewhat different having a reduced number of games (22 rounds versus 25), as a result the already agreed 20% pay cut for the rest of the season is more palpable. But next year it’s the full 25 rounds, so that justification doesn’t exist.

Also related, if the NRL wants to reduce the cap then shouldn’t the 30 registered players requirement also be reduced? This is important for us because we already have 2 players gone. Hence down to 28, which may well mean that we are closer to the reduced for 2021 cap than other clubs stuck with 30 players registered.

In summary, just because the Salary Cap is reduced for next year doesn’t mean that every single player has to take a pay cut. A club can manage its salary cap however it likes, just as long as it complies. Obviously the more “valuable” players are in a stronger negotiating position and more able to maintain their contract value. They are more “valuable” to other clubs which is their bargaining advantage. My guess is the top 4 or 5 players at each club won’t be copping the same % reduction (if any reduction at all) as the less “valuable” players.

Go Dogs
So basically most clubs will have to get rid of players because of a reduced salary cap and they were all working on $10 million cap for next season or so. And our war chest has shrunk and we have resigned everyone so far on bigger contracts then they should be...nice

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
So basically most clubs will have to get rid of players because of a reduced salary cap and they were all working on $10 million cap for next season or so. And our war chest has shrunk and we have resigned everyone so far on bigger contracts then they should be...nice
We still have 18 spots available next year (inc CHN and Okunbor, plus development players) so hardly "everyone" has been resigned. Plus some of those on heavily back ended contracts expiring this year were renewed on more normal contracts going forward (ie; less not more).

Go Dogs

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We still have 18 spots available next year (inc CHN and Okunbor, plus development players) so hardly "everyone" has been resigned. Plus some of those on heavily back ended contracts expiring this year were renewed on more normal contracts going forward (ie; less not more).

Go Dogs
So we have 12 players that will be on overs contracts with a reduced cap in 2021

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the contract is registered with the NRL then it’s the same as any other contract, binding on both parties and enforceable at law.

Go Dogs
Understand your point but the registered, and binding, contracts are the ones without the new clause, right? Like you said in the other post both parties have to agree in order to change the terms. So either honour the contract without the new clause or renegotiate if they want to change it.
Basically nrl cannot enforce this to the registered contracts unless players agree to it, right?

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
In my opinion nothing will change...Simples :tonguewink:
The reduction or increase in the cap will and should effect clubs equally
The way our club should be negotiating contracts is based on a full salary cap
Players get paid the 80% of the contract's value that is effective now, increased or reduced as is decided by the NRL

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
So we have 12 players that will be on overs contracts with a reduced cap in 2021
We could go through the 12 players one by one and guess what their contract value is then debate over whether that guessed amount constitutes "overs" or not. Depending on our relative options on what constitutes "overs" and what doesn't. But that would just be a waste of time whilst achieving nothing. So that's a pass from me.

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Understand your point but the registered, and binding, contracts are the ones without the new clause, right? Like you said in the other post both parties have to agree in order to change the terms. So either honour the contract without the new clause or renegotiate if they want to change it.
Basically nrl cannot enforce this to the registered contracts unless players agree to it, right?
Yep, current register contracts = no "reduced cap" clause.
Yep, until the individual player and the club agree to change the contract then it's legally binding on both of them.
Nope, the NRL can't step in and force the parties to renegotiate.
All the NRL can do is reduce the Salary Cap.

Go Dogs

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Go Dogs
Twin.... you dont really believe that do you...? Mate a contract in the NRL would only be legit or valuable if it was rolled up and marketed in March/ Early April as,

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Twin.... you dont really believe that do you...? Mate a contract in the NRL would only be legit or valuable if it was rolled up and marketed in March/ Early April as,
Why then did the NRL have to get the players agreement before reducing this years contract payments? Because if they didn't the players would have had a legal case to demand that they be paid according to their contracts.

Go Dogs

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
In my opinion nothing will change...Simples :tonguewink:
The reduction or increase in the cap will and should effect clubs equally
The way our club should be negotiating contracts is based on a full salary cap
Players get paid the 80% of the contract's value that is effective now, increased or reduced as is decided by the NRL
yeah but the 200k overs we could offer could become just 100k. Players might look at that and say meh I’ll go elsewhere, or they may not