No Source The Greenberg DISASTER

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Shortly after his appointment as CEO of the bulldogs in 2008 and after loosing several players to rival clubs Todd Greenberg decided it's time to BUY not BREED players.
The idea received further support when he employed Hasler and Cleal in their respectful positions.
Today I was checking for players that made it from past NSW under 20s team to first grade, To my shock I realized what The Greenberg DISASTER accumulated to...
We have failed to have one single player in the NSW under 20s teams for the years 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 consecutively.
Was Greenberg, Hasler and Cleal totally stupid or purely working on destroying the our club ???

Last edited:

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Shortly after his appointment as CEO of the bulldogs in 2008 and after loosing several players to rival clubs Todd Greenberg decided it's time to BUY not BREAD players.
The idea received further support when he employed Hasler and Cleal in their respectful positions.
Today I was checking for players that made it from past NSW under 20s team to first grade, To my shock I realized what The Greenberg DISASTER accumulated to...
We have failed to have one single player in the NSW under 20s teams for the years 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 consecutively.
Was Greenberg, Hasler and Cleal totally stupid or purely working on destroying the our club ???
Working to destroy us, Greendick, continued to do that, as NRL CEO

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Shortly after his appointment as CEO of the bulldogs in 2008 and after loosing several players to rival clubs Todd Greenberg decided it's time to BUY not BREAD players.
This is the harm that someone who looks at the game from a purely financial point of view can do. It might have been more costly to produce the talent, but only financially. With the restriction of a salary cap it's not possible to constantly have a strong team long term unless you have quality players (even if they're not stars) coming into the squad on a reasonably regular basis. It took the roosters a while to recognise this, and while they still have no great nursery to produce talent, they actively buy young talent frequently and get a few good years of service from them cheaply. Not that I think they're not cheating the salary cap, but they also supplement their top squad with good quality juniors.

At least the club seems to be attempting to develop a strong production line of juniors. Unfortunately it's not a process that can be rushed.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think if you look at players that came through the senior ranks then we did do pretty well. You can’t narrow it down to Nsw teams.

we had players like kasiano, taupau, Barba, Jackson, Reynolds, finucane, Elliot, Montoya Smith, averilo, Harper etc (some where here before Greenberg, some during his stay and some came after).

I can’t Blame the ceo for not developing players though. That was the coach. And it was Hasler that neglected a winning young breed of players that were finishing top 4 in u20 then went on that 3 or 4peat in nsw cup.

the facts are that Hasler set the club back a decade with his stance to put money into top grade and facilities instead of nursery’s. To not develop 12-16 year olds and to over pay and back end contracts.

Was Greenberg involved? Yes he was for signing off on it. Was castle involved. Yes. Almost worse then Greenberg. Was dib a contributor? Definitely.

So yes. Greenberg did set us back. But it was Through his empowering of hasler. Gave him complete reign over the football department without anyone with football acumen to answer to.

History will show that was a decision that closed a premiership window and left us as a bottom 5 team for several years.

I’m just hoping our blind faith will pay off with becoming more competitive from next year onwards.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I actually think tg was a very good ceo with us ,the only fault id say and you can understand why he did this at the time as hasler was the hottest coach at the time but giving hasler total control was a massive mistake,as a coach yes but des is terrible with a calculator

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I will always suspect what Hasler done was deliberate sabotage. Not at first as I think he watched money ball and thought he could do it at the dogs but the shape he left us in was to destroy before you leave.

Greenturd was the biggest hypocrite in history by covering the alleged Barba actions that have been detailed on here (if true) and then take the high road against Dogs players as the NRL Boss.

I hate both!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Greenburger did a great job with us, people need to get their hand off it lol. **** did what was necessary and provided us with the tools to get the job done. I have no doubt we would be in far better shape if he was still at the club.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Greenburger did a great job with us, people need to get their hand off it lol. c*** did what was necessary and provided us with the tools to get the job done. I have no doubt we would be in far better shape if he was still at the club.
Good work was undone by appointing Hasler
Not one single player in the NSW under 20s team for 4 consecutive years !
The worst football style in history
Salary cap disaster that ruined our roster

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Good work was undone by appointing Hasler
Not one single player in the NSW under 20s team for 4 consecutive years !
The worst football style in history
Salary cap disaster that ruined our roster
Hasler was the hottest coach in the game behind Bellamy and we literally pinched him the year he won a comp ffs. Everything was on track until Greenberg left, not his fault the lot that replaced him we're fucking incompetent.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hasler was the hottest coach in the game behind Bellamy and we literally pinched him the year he won a comp ffs. Everything was on track until Greenberg left, not his fault the lot that replaced him we're fucking incompetent.
Have to agree with this. From my side I think a large majority of us were super pumped when Hasler took over. Signing Hasler was a big thing, it has to be said.

However, of course there's the absolute destruction of our lower grades. I don't have a good enough grasp of the timeline to be able to say Greenburg was the one who dropped the ball on that. Happy for someone to fill me in!

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
All easy in hindsight - the money ball/ des ball/ stay in lanes/ Des philosophy can work well if you have two or three go to attacking stars such as he had at Manly and has now with DCE and the Trojbevic bros. The lack of skill development, the lack of encouragement n engagement with juniors, narrow minded recruitment/ retention - Greenburg was part of the start of it, Castle had an opportunity to rectify it when it wasn't working but because she had absolutely no idea she made it worse.
Greenburg was terrible as NRL CEO - seems to have made the same mistake of putting faith in others eg the CFO and not monitoring effectively.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
...and this is in the rumors forum why?

Also Greenberg left the club in 2013 so cannot be responsible for no young players making the NSW u20 team from 2015 onwards...

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the harm that someone who looks at the game from a purely financial point of view can do. It might have been more costly to produce the talent, but only financially. With the restriction of a salary cap it's not possible to constantly have a strong team long term unless you have quality players (even if they're not stars) coming into the squad on a reasonably regular basis. It took the roosters a while to recognise this, and while they still have no great nursery to produce talent, they actively buy young talent frequently and get a few good years of service from them cheaply. Not that I think they're not cheating the salary cap, but they also supplement their top squad with good quality juniors.

At least the club seems to be attempting to develop a strong production line of juniors. Unfortunately it's not a process that can be rushed.
Thanks Mate, you make a very good point, (I'm not tagging you) I agree that Greenberg was only a money man, who thought his job was to delegated the work to the Indians, and thought that if you have a paid employee he will do the job to the best of his ability, which is something I very much doubt with both Hassler but more particularly Cleal.
Our club or for that matter any business needs at least 1 or 2 money men, and as much as I voted for, and still support the current board I'm not sure that the position of a money man is well covered.
Hasler came to our club only for the big money and brought his mate Cleal, I doubt very much if either of them had their heart in our club, in fact in the end I became convinced that both had actually a hate for our club, by the way they neglected our Junior development as well as the back ended deals and other things, because at the time when Hasler came to the club the top young talent would have flocked to our club if asked, (unlike the situation at present).
BTW Cleal had a son called Cane who came to our club, and got injured, I recall in his excuse for doing what he did SBW said that our club gave Cane a raw deal following his injury, so did this fact actually affect Cane's dad Noel feelings for our club.
BTW I also believe that the Hassler experience is what has led our club to return to its former DNA, I agree that it's the only way for our club to go, I just hope that leads it to success.
I am not convinced that from outside our club there are many Administrators, Coaches and even players who would have their heart in our club, or at least do their job professionally.

Last edited:

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
My question is which players did he bread? Did he use spices with it? Were the players deepfried?
Ha ha ha ha BREED

Have to agree with this. From my side I think a large majority of us were super pumped when Hasler took over. Signing Hasler was a big thing, it has to be said.

However, of course there's the absolute destruction of our lower grades. I don't have a good enough grasp of the timeline to be able to say Greenburg was the one who dropped the ball on that. Happy for someone to fill me in!
You couldn't tell could you ?
I was an advocate of Hasler ever since he was a young player at Penrith, I have to admit I did cartwheels when we signed him but he lost me during 2015 season, I simply got sick of flying under the radar !!!

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
...and this is in the rumors forum why?

Also Greenberg left the club in 2013 so cannot be responsible for no young players making the NSW u20 team from 2015 onwards...
accidents happen it's the wrong forum
Greenberg set it up by appointing Hasler and Cleal in total control before he left !

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think if you look at players that came through the senior ranks then we did do pretty well. You can’t narrow it down to Nsw teams.

we had players like kasiano, taupau, Barba, Jackson, Reynolds, finucane, Elliot, Montoya Smith, averilo, Harper etc (some where here before Greenberg, some during his stay and some came after).

I can’t Blame the ceo for not developing players though. That was the coach. And it was Hasler that neglected a winning young breed of players that were finishing top 4 in u20 then went on that 3 or 4peat in nsw cup.

the facts are that Hasler set the club back a decade with his stance to put money into top grade and facilities instead of nursery’s. To not develop 12-16 year olds and to over pay and back end contracts.

Was Greenberg involved? Yes he was for signing off on it. Was castle involved. Yes. Almost worse then Greenberg. Was dib a contributor? Definitely.

So yes. Greenberg did set us back. But it was Through his empowering of hasler. Gave him complete reign over the football department without anyone with football acumen to answer to.

History will show that was a decision that closed a premiership window and left us as a bottom 5 team for several years.

I’m just hoping our blind faith will pay off with becoming more competitive from next year onwards.
thanks for going around the world and agreeing then disagreeing with yourself only to tell us that.... wait wtf Is your point