Predicted Dogs Team for R3

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Predicted team for r3 by foxsports yesterday. Apart from chris smith, which i read somewhere else today is still 6 weeks away from returning to full training, this is close to what we have.

CANTERBURY BULLDOGS

1. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak 2. Nick Meaney 3. Reimis Smith 4. Will Hopoate 5. Christian Crichton 6. Brandon Wakeham 7. Kieran Foran 8. Aiden Tolman 9. Jeremy Marshall-King 10. Dylan Napa 11. Josh Jackson 12. Dean Britt 13. Adam Elliott 14. Chris Smith 15. Renouf To’omaga 16. Raymond Faitala-Mariner 17. Jake Averillo

Analysis: The big in for the Bulldogs is chief playmaker Kieran Foran who is a high chance of returning. The 29-year-old faced missing the entire season when he had surgery but all reports prior to the season shutdown said he was ahead of schedule. Considering Lachlan Lewis was benched in their last outing, Dean Pay is likely to stick with young gun Brandon Wakeham to partner Foran in the halves. Chris Smith is also expected to return from a knee injury, while Joe Stimson is possibly ruled out for the season after shoulder surgery.

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Really don't see the point of Christian Crichton... everyone knows what he is capable of and he doesn't appear to have much potential. Reimis Smith is a winger and needs a wakeup call after 2 consecutive underwhelming seasons and another 2 poor games to start the year.

Don't mind the halves combination. It is becoming clear that Lachlan Lewis isn't improving at the Dogs... I still believe he has what it takes but I don't think this is the correct environment for him... the rumored Lewis for Addo-Carr trade would have been really good for Lachlan's career.

Also sick and tired of RFM. The guy can't keep it together and is so inconsistent.

Reactions: DT

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Not ideal long term, but this is what I'd go with r3
1. Meaney
2. DWZ
3. Hopoate
4. Averillo
5. Smith
6. Foran
7. Wakeham
8. Napa
9. JMK
10. Tolman
11. Jackson
12. Elliot
13. Britt

14. Cogger / Katoa
15. Mariner
16. To'Omaga
17. Ogden or any front rower

* I like Cogger as an organising 7 but I think 9 wouldn't be a bad option for him, worth testing out as he's off contract and we need to sort out who we are going to keep.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Props if Pay finally dumps Lewis and gives Wakeham a genuine opportunity as the halfback. I do expect Pay to name the usual suspects though and it's really going to be hard to be critical over the opening month or so with the season being suspended and schedules completely fucked.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Our attacking threats in the back row are looking rather grim now. The loss of CHN is massive maybe Britt can provide a bit of second phase play because if he doesn’t we wont be getting it at all. Having so many players of a similar style is biting us in the ass now.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not ideal long term, but this is what I'd go with r3
1. Meaney
2. DWZ
3. Hopoate
4. Averillo
5. Smith
6. Foran
7. Wakeham
8. Napa
9. JMK
10. Tolman
11. Jackson
12. Elliot
13. Britt

14. Cogger / Katoa
15. Mariner
16. To'Omaga
17. Ogden or any front rower

* I like Cogger as an organising 7 but I think 9 wouldn't be a bad option for him, worth testing out as he's off contract and we need to sort out who we are going to keep.
Regardless of who’s at 6/7, whilst Pay insists with JMK as starting hooker the team will struggle. He’s a bench utility at best. Katia needs to start at 9.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Regardless of who’s at 6/7, whilst Pay insists with JMK as starting hooker the team will struggle. He’s a bench utility at best. Katia needs to start at 9.
Maybe so but we've seen the best Katoa has to offer imo.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our attacking threats in the back row are looking rather grim now. The loss of CHN is massive maybe Britt can provide a bit of second phase play because if he doesn’t we wont be getting it at all. Having so many players of a similar style is biting us in the ass now.
Can put rfm back there. He had a good year in 2018 there imo until he got injured

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
All of the above comments sound good, I know my 6 would be Averillo, just to see how he goes with fozz.!!

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
1. Meaney
2. Dwz
3. Harper
4. Hoppa
5. Smith
6. Foran
7. Wakeham
8. Tolman
9. Katoa/ Jmk
10. Napa
11. To’ omaga
12. Jacko
13. Elliot
14. Averillo
15. Rfm
16. Britt
17. Ogden
That’s how I’d try it for round 3

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
If Foran isn’t fit, then averillo to 6 and Jmk at 14 to come on for Katoa when the forwards get abit tired

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Dwz (last chance)
2. Meaney
3. Averilo (outside of Foran)
4. Hoppa
5. Smith
6. Foran (then Averilo)
7. Wakeham
8. Renouf (No Tolman)
9. Jmk
10. Napa
11. Rfm
12. Jackson
13. Elliott

14. Katoa
15. Britt
16. Ogden/Sue/Tolman
17. C.Smith (as cover for outside backs)

Much bigger stronger starting pack. Rfm won't need to play 80 as Smith or Britt can cover him for a while. Jmk no 80 either as Katoa can cover him.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Team sport always works in combinations
1 Meaney...more suited as a fullback
2 DWZ...strong runner that will effectively bring the ball back
3 Lewis...his defense will bring a desperately needed stability out wide, otherwise Averillo
4 Hopoate
5 Smith...must pull his finger out to stay in 1st grade
6 Wakeham...he is the best young half at the club will benefit from Foran
7 Foran...if fit he will be the spark
8 Tolman
9 Katoa...Not convinced with JMK at hooker
10 Napa
11 Jackson
12 Britt / To'omaga...flick of a coin
13 Elliot
14 JMK...will be a gun off the bench
15 To'omaga / Britt
16 RFM
17 Ogden

Last edited:

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Hoppa
Dwz
Harper
Holland
Smith
Foran
Wakeham
Tolman
Katoa
Ogden
Mariner
Elliot
Jackson

Napa
Renouf
Sue / Britt
JmK
Pay won't change much from his round 2 team. Maybe foran in , can't see much more happening. Meaney unlucky, hoppa is the best 1 we have.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1. Tom Turbo
2. Addo Carr
3. L Mitchell
4. James Roberts
5. Jordan Rapana.....

Anyone like the look of that... Apparantly it Could have been our backline going by Kennel posts..

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe so but we've seen the best Katoa has to offer imo.
What JMK dished up last season highlighted why he wasn’t what we needed & why we went to market for a hooker. Nothing changed based on Rds 1&2 . Yet you base Katoa’s dummy half play on 2 trial matches? He should get an opportunity

Last edited: