What are your ideas to entertain oneself while in isolation?

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
More likely, Flag Ale.
There ya go, I had to look it up having never heard of that beer. Must have been before my time.
Coming back to your model set up, I take it this has been in the build for a long time?
The very first picture (post#88). The 2 story building with the white upper level reminds me of a building which I think was either just before Strathfield inbetween the Parra and Epping line or somewhere between Strathfield and SummerHill. Id go past a similar looking building on the train as a teenager thinking "who works in there? are they in charge of changing tracks? what is it they do in there?".

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Self isolation quarantine has me asking a few tough questions.

For instance..

Who would win in a fight, a shortarse muscled up guy or a tall lanky guy.

Me thinks the tall lanky guy everytime. When you get those big windmills going, the short guys head would be like playing t-ball, just sitting there to be hit out of the park.

A short guy can't really generate enough swing in his short arms unless he can execute a one inch punch. Plus punching upwards you loose heaps of torque. What else can they do? Charge and try take the tall guy to the ground? Even there the tall guy might tie him up with long legs

Any thoughts to the contrary?

Short guys can't get a break can they, all the women say he's too short and the tall guys whip em in fights
All depends. Stefan Struve in the UFC was a massive bloke- 6'10 or similar and he used to get the piss beaten out of him pretty much every time I saw him fight.
Tyson destroyed plenty of blokes as well, he wasn't a tall heavyweight.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
There ya go, I had to look it up having never heard of that beer. Must have been before my time.
Coming back to your model set up, I take it this has been in the build for a long time?
The very first picture (post#88). The 2 story building with the white upper level reminds me of a building which I think was either just before Strathfield inbetween the Parra and Epping line or somewhere between Strathfield and SummerHill. Id go past a similar looking building on the train as a teenager thinking "who works in there? are they in charge of changing tracks? what is it they do in there?".
My late father drank Flag Ale. It wasn't to my taste. I preferred stout - a taste I developed from drinking dark ale in the UK when I worked over there.

The building you are referring to is a signal box, and you are correct, it was for changing tracks. There is a complicated stand of levers which must be operated in a certain order, like a puzzle, before any track will change. There are levers for the signals, and levers for the track - if not done in the correct order, nothing happens. That's a mechanical safety measure to prevent accidents. The levers are very heavy to operate, and keeping trains on time at a place like Central or Strathfield required skill and confidence - much the same as an air traffic controller. Nowadays, it's all done on a PC. The tracks no longer have those long iron rods running down to the points - they are air powered, with electronic triggers.

In the old days, each shift had a list of trains, times and destinations (known as paths), which the signalman had to be very familiar with, and capable of doing on time and without error.They were very cold places in the winter.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
My late father drank Flag Ale. It wasn't to my taste. I preferred stout - a taste I developed from drinking dark ale in the UK when I worked over there.

The building you are referring to is a signal box, and you are correct, it was for changing tracks. There is a complicated stand of levers which must be operated in a certain order, like a puzzle, before any track will change. There are levers for the signals, and levers for the track - if not done in the correct order, nothing happens. That's a mechanical safety measure to prevent accidents. The levers are very heavy to operate, and keeping trains on time at a place like Central or Strathfield required skill and confidence - much the same as an air traffic controller. Nowadays, it's all done on a PC. The tracks no longer have those long iron rods running down to the points - they are air powered, with electronic triggers.

In the old days, each shift had a list of trains, times and destinations (known as paths), which the signalman had to be very familiar with, and capable of doing on time and without error.They were very cold places in the winter.
Awesome. After all this time i know, cheers. Ive always looked at old buildings in Australia and wondered how, when and why they were originally constructed. Where did the materials come from etc. Spose Im weird like that.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Awesome. After all this time i know, cheers. Ive always looked at old buildings in Australia and wondered how, when and why they were originally constructed. Where did the materials come from etc. Spose Im weird like that.
See where they got idea for habour bridge? Hellgate bridge NYC
3f6b8b1a933b3e9385c9e6a06f831a49.jpg

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
All depends. Stefan Struve in the UFC was a massive bloke- 6'10 or similar and he used to get the piss beaten out of him pretty much every time I saw him fight.
Yeah, if you want tall lanky vs short stocky watch Stefan Struve vs Mark Hunt. That one just there will disprove @Blue_boost theory.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok you heard of peat island in hawskbury river ?

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ok you heard of peat island in hawskbury river ?
No, never heard of it. Cheers for that. Just got thru reading wiki and a few other stories. Sad but a part of history nonetheless. Always thought the Hawkesbury to be a beautiful place. Wish I would have spent more time there looking around. Id occasionally go fishing up that way but cant remember much. Always loved catching the train up from Hornsby to the central coast, bloody gorgeous. Ill have to get back sometime and have a look around.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, if you want tall lanky vs short stocky watch Stefan Struve vs Mark Hunt. That one just there will disprove @Blue_boost theory.
Not really... If there is a big fighter and a small fighter of similar skill , the bigger fighter will whip him 999.5/1000.

For the average Joe on the street, the short muscled up average joe will get debunked by the tall lanky average Joe.

Go knock on random neighbours doors, assemble them on the street and square them off in a street fight. The taller guy will win.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about Vladmir klitzko or Tyson fury. Lil blokes don't stand a chance

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
No, never heard of it. Cheers for that. Just got thru reading wiki and a few other stories. Sad but a part of history nonetheless. Always thought the Hawkesbury to be a beautiful place. Wish I would have spent more time there looking around. Id occasionally go fishing up that way but cant remember much. Always loved catching the train up from Hornsby to the central coast, bloody gorgeous. Ill have to get back sometime and have a look around.
There's Frances peat graven the bush just off the freeway not many people know about it,they also had a Nazi doctor working there after the war it's got a dark dark history

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There's Frances peat graven the bush just off the freeway not many people know about it,they also had a Nazi doctor working there after the war it's got a dark dark history
Just read up on George Peat and his significance to the area. How he lived to 78 in the 1800's has got me fucked. Always wondered where the name Peats Ridge came from. The asylum, poor kids and anyone else that was there.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not weird at all, my friend. Rail history is my thing - that's how I got the gig doing the Swiss rail tours.
Most of the older buildings in Sydney quarried their sandstone from Pyrmont; one quarry actually went below sea level. Earlier sandstone came from near Coogee.
Bricks originally were sourced from clay pits at Brickfield Hill, just south of Town Hall; then from St Peters - now Sydney Park. Broken bricks were used as ballast for the 1855 Sydney-Parramatta Railway.

The spoil from the tunnels of the City Circle was used to fill in, and form Darling Harbour.

Some of our station names are a whole story by themselves.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
See where they got idea for habour bridge? Hellgate bridge NYC
View attachment 14656
Our Harbour Bridge was designed by a French engineer, Georges Imbault, who was employed by the Cleveland Bridge Co. of the UK. They tendered a plan for consideration. Most tenders were for suspension bridges - like the Golden Gate; but the need to swing the road and railway from Milsons Point to North Sydney meant taking the deck through the spans. An arch bridge was old technology, but allowed for the line to swing around to North Sydney without any span or hangers in the way.
The owner of the Cleveland Bridge co died, and the business was bought up by Dorman Long of Newcastle on Tyne. They took over Imbault's design and worked with Ralph Freeman to build it.

Bradfield had seen the Hell Gate bridge, which carries the railway tracks of the New Haven Railroad, and liked the pylons that bookend it - they have no structural purpose, just decorative. The granite facing of the pylons comes from Moruya. He was also taken by the station architecture of the London tube and New York IRT - you can see the London influence at St James and Museum, and the IRT at Town Hall and Wynyard.

When the bridge was built, there were four railway tracks across it. The two on the eastern side were intended for the Peninsular Railway to Narrabeen, which never eventuated, apart from the never used tunnels out of North Sydney which go for about 500 metres toward Mosman. The tracks, and platforms at Wynyard were instead used for the North Sydney tramways, until their closure in the 1950s. The tracks were lifted and the Cahill Expressway put there. The tunnels from the bridge to Wynyard are still there, but the platforms - Nos 1 and 2 were taken out, and converted to a carpark. That's why Wynyard now only has platforms 3,4,5 and 6.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Just going through my things now, I found this:

Commanding big bucks on eBay:

upload_2020-4-28_14-38-30.png

I paid $2 for this thing less than 2 years ago. I reckon she'll be worth a fair bit in future. I'll bet $30 by 2030. I'm glad I got into this diecast collecting business :D

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
What about Vladmir klitzko or Tyson fury. Lil blokes don't stand a chance
That's because pretty much all the heavyweights of today are shit.
Frazier, Tyson, Holyfield, Ken Norton not to mention Ali all would of destroyed Klitschko or Fury. Easily.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just going through my things now, I found this:

Commanding big bucks on eBay:

View attachment 14672

I paid $2 for this thing less than 2 years ago. I reckon she'll be worth a fair bit in future. I'll bet $30 by 2030. I'm glad I got into this diecast collecting business :D
I have 2-3 tyre R and a Honda crx paid $2 for them. Now $50 easy

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Debating with the Commies why private homes cannot be used in public debate because its disrespectful to begin with and its a desperate attempt at a political assassination.
Basically there are no children in adult DVD, they are compliant viewers home discretion, X rated, sensitive, private and not open to public mainstream conservative audit.
So the fuckwits lie.

Last edited: