SMH Quade cooper at 6 for dogs?

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Add a bit of international leadership, professionalism and mindset.

You dont develop Juniors by putting them on a field to get manhandled every week. Our juniors will only develop if they have good leaders around them. Our leadership group consist of Foran (granted) Tolman, Elliot and Jackson ffs. How are you going to learn amd develop.

500-600 is what id offer. Might not even be that high tbh.

We are no worse off by having him there.
Juniors need time on the field to get experience and develop. Why should that time be given to Cooper?

Whats wrong with our current leadership group? Whats wrong with Foran, Tolman and Jackson? Between those 3 alone they have played hundreds of games as well as at the highest level. What could Cooper add in experience that they cant?

If your main argument is "We are no worse off", then thats a pretty week argument. I wouldn't be spending money with that reasoning.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Juniors need time on the field to get experience and develop. Why should that time be given to Cooper?

Whats wrong with our current leadership group? Whats wrong with Foran, Tolman and Jackson? Between those 3 alone they have played hundreds of games as well as at the highest level. What could Cooper add in experience that they cant?

If your main argument is "We are no worse off", then thats a pretty week argument. I wouldn't be spending money with that reasoning.
Lets be honest. I want it mostly for some entertainment. Would make it very interesting to watch rather than the shit in the first 2 round. So I'm not going to push too hard.

But shit, you are making it out as though we would be signing a reserve grader.

But yeh Foran will take one halves spot for the rest of the year. Lewis will take another. Wakeham/averilo in line after that of anyone is injured. Let them learn for the remaining 15 games we might play this year.

Nexus

Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Lets be honest. I want it mostly for some entertainment. Would make it very interesting to watch rather than the shit in the first 2 round. So I'm not going to push too hard.

But shit, you are making it out as though we would be signing a reserve grader.

But yeh Foran will take one halves spot for the rest of the year. Lewis will take another. Wakeham/averilo in line after that of anyone is injured. Let them learn for the remaining 15 games we might play this year.
He might be little better than a reserve grader in League, thats my whole point. We have no way to tell, nothing to compare to and at his age is just not worth the risk.

The dude doesnt even play top tier Rugby now, and our AR players are fucking rubbish.

Imagine if a top player suddenly became available for some reason but we couldnt afford it because we decided to waste money on Cooper just to see how he would go? What if it cost us retaining a player or promising young junior? He would take upa spot in the 30 meaning someone else would miss out.

He is not the player we need right now.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Dont be so sensitive lol.

I know exactly what Im saying

And I am acknowledging what you are saying.

You are just 100% wrong is all.
I’m not being particularly sensitive. I’m just questioning the merits of debating with someone who is just going to laugh at me and ask me to repeat myself. The obtuseness irritates me much more than the rudeness, tbh.

I’m 100 percent wrong? I know you are, but what am I? Lol... you can’t debate with a person who makes that sort of statement.

Nexus

Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m not being particularly sensitive. I’m just questioning the merits of debating with someone who is just going to laugh at me and ask me to repeat myself. The obtuseness irritates me much more than the rudeness, tbh.

I’m 100 percent wrong? I know you are, but what am I? Lol... you can’t debate with a person who makes that sort of statement.
Mate you came into the debate making sweeping generalisations and sarcasm so you got exactly what you deserve. If you entered the debate not being a smart ass I probably would have approached you different.

Dont start crying about it now.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, so he is going to automatically add points is he?

Can you please post a link up of his NRL highlights? Hell even Rugby League highlights?
Wow, its my opinion i think its worth a shot, the guy wants a go, why not give him one, thats what being an australian is, no need to make it a argument, you can agree to disagree!
I respect your opinion

bullpup71

Kennel Established
Reaction score
People are dumb on here,every bloke that comes up on the market let's buy him,Cooper would mean nothing to our team going forward,look at Melbourne they don't buy short term ,they recruit a core,fullback halve or five eight ,hooker,blokes who touch the ball,admittedly the guys there got are special
Blake green rings a bell

Expedite

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The guy is trouble wherever he goes, and as a rugby fan, I dont think he is that good. He plays one good game in 5. He is not worth the coin he would ask for at all. The guy is a bigger wanker than most.

Nexus

Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The guy is trouble wherever he goes, and as a rugby fan, I dont think he is that good. He plays one good game in 5. He is not worth the coin he would ask for at all. The guy is a bigger wanker than most.
Yeah I think a lot on here forget what a wanker he is and has been when talking about his so called leadership skills.

The guy is a fucking thief. Remember when he stole those laptops from a house on the GC?

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think age is the main factor. If he was even 27-28 he could have had a few years in league and given his natural instincts to play attacking football he would be worth a risk. But he’s 32, he’ll probably be done in 12-18mths and we have now committed to these young guys for 2021 and maybe beyond so they need to be fast tracked in the experience department and this year should be ideal to get that experience with very little expectations on results. At this stage, any positive play and development is a bonus for 2021 and beyond.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have money to spend, he wouldn't ask for much as his nrl options are limited and he made his money in Japan and there are literally no better options available for this year.... I can't believe people can't see the potential upside, tbh.

Worst case scenario - we sign him on Okunbor and CHN's money, he doesn't do well and we move on from him in 2021 absolutely none the worse for wear.

I'm not desperate. Just logical. It's a short term option and it wouldn't cost us much at all.
I’m not sure we have ‘money to spend’. There’s a reason the league is desperate to restart and it’s not clear what the salary cap implications will be for this year and possibly next.
Aside from the potential cash flow issues I don’t see how Cooper would fit a coherent recruitment or retention strategy.
We have Foran, Wakeham and Cogger coming off contract this year and it will be interesting who is retained from that group

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah I think a lot on here forget what a wanker he is and has been when talking about his so called leadership skills.

The guy is a fucking thief. Remember when he stole those laptops from a house on the GC?
Wait. What? He got charged for that?

I'm more intrigued why people would look to sign a guy in the last years of his playing career, who doesn't even play our code, in a position we've already got someone playing in. Most talk about short-term but so is Foran? And if both are fit?

No doubt this guy has talent but I'd hope the club looks a bit more for the future.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I’m not sure we have ‘money to spend’. There’s a reason the league is desperate to restart and it’s not clear what the salary cap implications will be for this year and possibly next.
Aside from the potential cash flow issues I don’t see how Cooper would fit a coherent recruitment or retention strategy.
We have Foran, Wakeham and Cogger coming off contract this year and it will be interesting who is retained from that group
Salary cap changes would have to result in reductions in pay across the board if and when they were put in place and those reductions would have to be put in place by the NRL - the body which registers contracts and is struggling financially. We just had two players deregistered, so however they work out potential pay reductions, we are missing two of our top 30 and would theoretically have some money to spend.

Foran can not possibly be re-signed unless it is for a small fraction of the money he is commanding now. If he's not willing to sign for the minimum amount the NRL will register him for, he needs to go. In any case, I don't see how next year's signings would impact on a short term signing with a 12 month option in the club's favour. If the club decides to retain those three and not take up that 12 month option, it would be well within its rights.

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally id take him, and at a reduced rate which he is willing to accept,i would take him on, i dont even think it would be a gamble, we have been screaming for another attacking half, do it deano even it was for only 4 or so months.
Pretty talented and fit lad.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Salary cap changes would have to result in reductions in pay across the board if and when they were put in place and those reductions would have to be put in place by the NRL - the body which registers contracts and is struggling financially. We just had two players deregistered, so however they work out potential pay reductions, we are missing two of our top 30 and would theoretically have some money to spend.

Foran can not possibly be re-signed unless it is for a small fraction of the money he is commanding now. If he's not willing to sign for the minimum amount the NRL will register him for, he needs to go. In any case, I don't see how next year's signings would impact on a short term signing with a 12 month option in the club's favour. If the club decides to retain those three and not take up that 12 month option, it would be well within its rights.
You don’t know how things will play out with the cap. Squad sizes could be reduced to save money with additional players only on the league minimum. I’m not assuming anything at this stage it’s not really a debate just my point of view

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d sign him for this year I’d the comp gets up and running at reduced rate can’t hurt to see how he go better then Lewis and coggar who knows might go half alright we got good service out of kimmorley when we signed him at the tail of his career