SMH Quade cooper at 6 for dogs?

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
People are dumb on here,every bloke that comes up on the market let's buy him,Cooper would mean nothing to our team going forward,look at Melbourne they don't buy short term ,they recruit a core,fullback halve or five eight ,hooker,blokes who touch the ball,admittedly the guys there got are special

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
3 or 4 years ago YES.

But No thanks, we can do better.!! And we need too.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People are dumb on here,every bloke that comes up on the market let's buy him,Cooper would mean nothing to our team going forward,look at Melbourne they don't buy short term ,they recruit a core,fullback halve or five eight ,hooker,blokes who touch the ball,admittedly the guys there got are special
You must be happy with one try a fortnight!
Yeah he is 32, majority of the nrls best players are in that age group.
Its only for the remainder of 2020, just think it can only help our club , this guy can attact POSITIVE media ,how good would it be to see us hitting double figures on the scoreboard. fair spine
1. Dwz
6. Quade cooper
7. Foran
9. Katoa/jmk

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
You must be happy with one try a fortnight!
Yeah he is 32, majority of the nrls best players are in that age group.
Its only for the remainder of 2020, just think it can only help our club , this guy can attact POSITIVE media ,how good would it be to see us hitting double figures on the scoreboard. fair spine
1. Dwz
6. Quade cooper
7. Foran
9. Katoa/jmk
Oh, so he is going to automatically add points is he?

Can you please post a link up of his NRL highlights? Hell even Rugby League highlights?

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Look he only wants to play for the remainder of this year it’s a cash grab whilst Japanese rugby is on hold. I don’t think I’d do it at the expense of game time for Averillo or Wakeham they need minutes in first grade.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
SMH must mean 'shake my head' cuz that's what I'm doing now.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I'd consider it, for sure. He may not have league experience and he may be getting on, but he has plenty of skill and look at what we have to work with at the moment. He won't be asking for a huge amount of money at this stage of his career. What possible harm could signing him for the rest of the year with a one year option in the club's favour do? I think he'd offer much more value than Kieran "Here Today, Gone Tomorrow" Foran.

Nexus

Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd consider it, for sure. He may not have league experience and he may be getting on, but he has plenty of skill and look at what we have to work with at the moment. He won't be asking for a huge amount of money at this stage of his career. What possible harm could signing him for the rest of the year with a one year option in the club's favour do? I think he'd offer much more value than Kieran "Here Today, Gone Tomorrow" Foran.
You mean besides wasting money and a spot on the roster for an actual Rugby League player? You mean that kind of harm?

I seriously cant believe so many people would even consider this nonsense. Guess it goes to show how far we have fallen and how desperate some of our fanbase is.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Oh, so he is going to automatically add points is he?

Can you please post a link up of his NRL highlights? Hell even Rugby League highlights?
He probably has as many as Lewis or Wakeham, both of whom have actually played the game. He has undeniable skill and experience playing against a closer defensive line.... only downside is his defence.... but given the lack of quality in our spine and Foran's proven fragility, it would be well worth a punt. It's not like we're going to find a better option this year.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
You mean besides wasting money and a spot on the roster for an actual Rugby League player? You mean that kind of harm?

I seriously cant believe so many people would even consider this nonsense. Guess it goes to show how far we have fallen and how desperate some of our fanbase is.
We have money to spend, he wouldn't ask for much as his nrl options are limited and he made his money in Japan and there are literally no better options available for this year.... I can't believe people can't see the potential upside, tbh.

Worst case scenario - we sign him on Okunbor and CHN's money, he doesn't do well and we move on from him in 2021 absolutely none the worse for wear.

I'm not desperate. Just logical. It's a short term option and it wouldn't cost us much at all.

Nexus

Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
He probably has as many as Lewis or Wakeham, both of whom have actually played the game. He has undeniable skill and experience playing against a closer defensive line.... only downside is his defence.... but given the lack of quality in our spine and Foran's proven fragility, it would be well worth a punt. It's not like we're going to find a better option this year.
Ok so put your money where your mouth is. For every Lewis or Wakeham NRL highlight I dig up (pick one, I don’t care) you have to dig up a Cooper NRL highlight. Deal?

You use the rest of the year to get some experience in our juniors ffs, not waste it on an old dude who hasn’t played a single game nor has earnt the right to. There are plenty of downsides.

so please tell me all about the upsides

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ok so put your money where your mouth is. For every Lewis or Wakeham NRL highlight I dig up (pick one, I don’t care) you have to dig up a Cooper NRL highlight. Deal?

You use the rest of the year to get some experience in our juniors ffs, not waste it on an old dude who hasn’t played a single game nor has earnt the right to. There are plenty of downsides.

We are a bottom 3 team. He only wants a deal for the rest of this season.

We have CHN money with no one else wanting to come to us.

Give him 500k-600k. Worst case scenario, he flops but adds a bit of something behind closed doors.

We cant get any worse than our current halves

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score

My statement about highlights was clearly hyperbolic as we both know Cooper has not played NRL, so no I will not 'put my money where my mouth is' any more than you will acknowledge obvious sarcasm. I could definitely dig up plenty of his rugby highlights, if I had the time and inclination and he clearly has skills which could benefit our team.

What is going to benefit our young players more? Having them learn from Foran for a week or two before he breaks down again and then run around rudderless for 10 or 11 weeks, relying on forwards or outside backs to produce points, or playing and training with someone who has skills which are easily translatable to a game he knows plenty about and grew up following, which could make them better players.... especially Wakeham, who has skills, but needs more time and mentorship to fully develop them? You can argue about his lack of NRL experience as much as you like, but the dude has ball skills, he can read a defensive line, has experience making good attacking decisions with less time than he would get in an nrl environment and i think as a short term option, he could benefit our team, as a player in the short term and he may be able to teach our guys some things which could benefit us in the long term.

Young players learn best in environments where they have some experienced heads to guide them. I suppose the real argument is whether experience in a similar, but different game could be beneficial. I would argue yes. Cooper always played his game like an NRL style ball player anyway. The broncos can see it, that's why they are training with him.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Give him 500k-600k. Worst case scenario, he flops but adds a bit of something behind closed doors.

I think you can get worse then our current halves and that's by bringing in a washed up 32 year old union that hasn't played league for over a decade and can't tackle.

Even with a full pre-season it would take him close to a full season to adjust if he ever does.

What would he add behind closed doors? Experience?

It's quite the coincidence that he all of a sudden has a NRL dream when no Super Rugby team will touch him and he can't get over to Japan.

Foran will be back for our next game and I'd much rather give game time to our young halves then blow $500k for the sake of it.

Nexus

Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

Adds what?

500 - 600K? Based on what? How did you come to that valuation?

So you would rather an experiment takes up the time and money that could be better spent on developing juniors?

Nexus

Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
My statement about highlights was clearly hyperbolic as we both know Cooper has not played NRL, so no I will not 'put my money where my mouth is' any more than you will acknowledge obvious sarcasm. I could definitely dig up plenty of his rugby highlights, if I had the time and inclination and he clearly has skills which could benefit our team.

What is going to benefit our young players more? Having them learn from Foran for a week or two before he breaks down again and then run around rudderless for 10 or 11 weeks, relying on forwards or outside backs to produce points, or playing and training with someone who has skills which are easily translatable to a game he knows plenty about and grew up following, which could make them better players.... especially Wakeham, who has skills, but needs more time and mentorship to fully develop them? You can argue about his lack of NRL experience as much as you like, but the dude has ball skills, he can read a defensive line, has experience making good attacking decisions with less time than he would get in an nrl environment and i think as a short term option, he could benefit our team, as a player in the short term and he may be able to teach our guys some things which could benefit us in the long term.

Young players learn best in environments where they have some experienced heads to guide them. I suppose the real argument is whether experience in a similar, but different game could be beneficial. I would argue yes. Cooper always played his game like an NRL style ball player anyway. The broncos can see it, that's why they are training with him.
Dont talk shit then.

Sure you could bring up his Rugby Highlights.. if we were talking about him joining a Rugby Union team...

ROFL.. what???

Tell me, what Rugby League experience is he going to bring to our young players when he hasnt played a single game himself? Our young blokes would know more than him.

Read a defensive line? rofl. As someone who has played both League and Union, the defensive "lines" are completely effing different.

Your arguments are ridiculous and you have absolutely zero proof or guarantee that he would add anything at all. The law of averages, stating his age, his lack of first class Rugby League experience, the fact that he is playing in a weak comp in Japan would dictate it would more likely be a failure than a success.

My arguments against are facts. Your arguments for are if's and maybe's as you have absolutely no supporting data.

Last edited:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Dont talk shit then.

Sure you could bring up his Rugby Highlights.. if we were talking about him joining a Rugby Union team...

ROFL.. what???

Tell me, what Rugby League experience is he going to bring to our young players when he hasnt played a single game himself?
Don't be overly literal and anal and learn the difference between talking shit and hyperbole/ sarcasm.

I clearly acknowledged Cooper has no NRL experience and explained the skills he possesses which I feel would be translatable to our team. I feel no inclination to repeat myself.... especially to somebody who is being deliberately obtuse and is refusing to acknowledge what I'm actually saying.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Adds what?

500 - 600K? Based on what? How did you come to that valuation?

So you would rather an experiment takes up the time and money that could be better spent on developing juniors?
Add a bit of international leadership, professionalism and mindset.

You dont develop Juniors by putting them on a field to get manhandled every week. Our juniors will only develop if they have good leaders around them. Our leadership group consist of Foran (granted) Tolman, Elliot and Jackson ffs. How are you going to learn amd develop.

500-600 is what id offer. Might not even be that high tbh.

We are no worse off by having him there.

Nexus

Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't be overly literal and anal and learn the difference between talking shit and hyperbole/ sarcasm.

I clearly acknowledged Cooper has no NRL experience and explained the skills he possesses which I feel would be translatable to our team. I feel no inclination to repeat myself.... especially to somebody who is being rude and obtuse and refusing to acknowledge what I'm actually saying.
Dont be so sensitive lol.

I know exactly what Im saying

And I am acknowledging what you are saying.

You are just 100% wrong is all.