Who is the best player in the game right now?

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Got me thinking.
Now that Cooper Cronk and Paul Gallen have both retired last year, who is the new real MVP in the NRL?
The single greatest player.

I don't think there are clear examples atm.
We have flashy fullbacks like Ponga who come in and out of the game, and FB in general isn't a game controlling position.

Townsend lacks the kicking game and Cleary is just overrated and slow/weak to be the best.
Munster?
Keary?
Smith still?
Could it be Foran?

Last edited:

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm starting to think the new best player actually is;

jack wighton!

he blitzed it last season and nearly beat the roosters single handedly in the grand final
he has the size and speed of a fullback, is everywhere and has the ball skills and was a big part of reclaiming the urn from QLD.

the other one is Pearce.

cant step up to rep level. I know, but as a club player, is there better?

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
James Tedesco
Nah.
He's good but he runs and slips a lot. Reminds me of Luke Patterns except the next step up. Also in a team that's as good as an origin team on its own.

wouldn't even put him as best in his position either because of the Turb brother

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Kikau is my favourite.

Legend23

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nah.
He's good but he runs and slips a lot. Reminds me of Luke Patterns except the next step up. Also in a team that's as good as an origin team on its own.

wouldn't even put him as best in his position either because of the Turb brother

Its patternz with a Z

Get it right nasheed

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If Cam Smith joined our team tomorrow, we'd instantly go from bottom four to top 4. He not only control games but makes players around him better players.... Still the best player imo..

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If Cam Smith joined our team tomorrow, we'd instantly go from bottom four to top 4. He not only control games but makes players around him better players.... Still the best player imo..
Yup because has massive influence on and off the Field..!!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Cameron Smith or Tedesco. Taumalolo and Haas are also very close.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
It was looking like another year at the top of the ladder for Storm so it's gotta be Cam

Followed closely by Tedesco, Keary, Tommy

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Watching the game closely, I would say turbo tommy is the best player in the game.

Top 5:

1.) Turbo Tom
2.) Taumalolo
3.) Tedesco
4.) David Fifita
5.) Payne Haas

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s James Tedesco without question.
I don't think 'it's without question' because I have a question.

what is he going to do for you when the pack is getting dominated?

he will catch a ball and slip over 1/3 of the time.

I say wighton because;
- he is a half (involved in everything)
- strength of a forward and speed of a fullback, as he used to be fullback
-kicks
- can pass left mad right
- can take control of a game by the neck
-decent defender
- leadership qualities
- a guy that can step you, break a tackle, outrun you, pass or kick every time he touches the ball.

too me that's 100% Covid 19. That's unpredictable, that's valuable. Munster is similar but don't think he has some of the raw physicality this nice guy does.
Tedesco can't do all that?
He can run, he can support well, he can bark some orders from the back, but he's more Hayne than Johns. Whereas wighton can do both

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think 'it's without question' because I have a question.

what is he going to do for you when the pack is getting dominated?

he will catch a ball and slip over 1/3 of the time.

I say wighton because;
- he is a half (involved in everything)
- strength of a forward and speed of a fullback, as he used to be fullback
-kicks
- can pass left mad right
- can take control of a game by the neck
-decent defender
- leadership qualities
- a guy that can step you, break a tackle, outrun you, pass or kick every time he touches the ball.

too me that's 100% Covid 19. That's unpredictable, that's valuable.
Tedesco can't do all that?
He can run, he can support well, he can bark some orders from the back, but he's more Hayne than Johns. Whereas wighton can do both

I think the difference with Wighton is that Teddy will produce something in the biggest of moments, where as we don't see that from Wighton as of yet.. if Wighton had of produced something when Canberra had all that ball in the second half of the GF, then he would be on the same level as the other guys

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I think the difference with Wighton is that Teddy will produce something in the biggest of moments, where as we don't see that from Wighton as of yet.. if Wighton had of produced something when Canberra had all that ball in the second half of the GF, then he would be on the same level as the other guys
I actually refer to the GF as him doing just that.
Remember, it was jack who won ten Churchill medal on the back of a losing team, after some criticism the last few years that it should be from a winning team in origin. Same concept.

that grand final was the roosters v Jack and if it weren't for two dud calls raiders would have won, dud calls that directly affected some creative jack play.