Paying some big money up there
Klemmer
Ponga
Frizell
Pearce

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hes 28 years old. 3 year deal worth 2.1 million..

Good deal for both.especially Newcastle, 700k a year not overs by any stretch for a representative 2nd rower.amd a week to week consistent performer..

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/36bc7b004125876da5c2617fbda6315d
I dont know how any team, or player can be out there signing deals for next year in this current situation. Who knows what the cap will be next year. There might even be a shitload of players on the market desperately in need of clubs, if their club folds.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Deals still getting done in this climate .... impressive..

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I dont know how any team, or player can be out there signing deals for next year in this current situation. Who knows what the cap will be next year. There might even be a shitload of players on the market desperately in need of clubs, if their club folds.
The majority of players are contracted for next year anyway..

So it wouldnt matter if its a new deal or current deal, if anything happens to the season they will be affected regardless of when the deal was signed..

Makes sense they're still doing deals.. but Like you said it could definately change if Corona effects next year..

Still a good deal by the Knights at 28 years his still at a great age.. 700k/yr for rep forward is not overs by any stretch

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotta laugh at Dragon fans when the only positive to look forward too is a test result.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
To be fair, the story actually states that the deal was agreed upon before the Covid 19 blow up.
Agreed and signed or just agreed ? I think the Covid-19 situation places a lot of uncertainty at this particular time. I also would have thought he was on about that money anyway at St George. Overall not a bad signing for Newcastle IMO.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I don't think that NRL clubs will fold given the new TV rights deal looming, and the NRL agreeing to give each club $1,200,000 a month. However I also think that this crisis will be enough to save Todd Greenberg. No doubt the NRL will say he's been an inspirational leader in a time of great uncertainty.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You knew he was gone when he came out last year after the dragons were rolled by someone (take your pick) and said:

"All these rumours I want out are completely false, I'm not going anywhere"

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The majority of players are contracted for next year anyway..

So it wouldnt matter if its a new deal or current deal, if anything happens to the season they will be affected regardless of when the deal was signed..

Makes sense they're still doing deals.. but Like you said it could definately change if Corona effects next year..

Still a good deal by the Knights at 28 years his still at a great age.. 700k/yr for rep forward is not overs by any stretch
True, but why would you sign a 700k deal to move clubs now when you dont know what that contract will be worth next year? That 70k may well become 500k next year, and he will have to uproot his family and move to Newcastle.
Im not saying clubs won't be doing it, I'm just saying that id be very dubious in doing so if i was an NRL player.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
A big fan of Knights recruitment over the last few years. Another great signing for them.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
True, but why would you sign a 700k deal to move clubs now when you dont know what that contract will be worth next year? That 70k may well become 500k next year, and he will have to uproot his family and move to Newcastle.
Im not saying clubs won't be doing it, I'm just saying that id be very dubious in doing so if i was an NRL player.
Where he's at doesn't matter. The salary cap is going to decrease so he'll lose the same % wherever he goes. Knights are more of a premiership threat than the Dragons.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It fcuks the Dragons up a bit more.. thats never a bad thing..
Dragons sign former Bulldog CHN on a cut-price deal.

Stimson extends stay with the Bulldogs.

I mean it could be bad for us...

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Hes 28 years old. 3 year deal worth 2.1 million..

Good deal for both.especially Newcastle, 700k a year not overs by any stretch for a representative 2nd rower.amd a week to week consistent performer..

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/36bc7b004125876da5c2617fbda6315d
Im not sure how he could get a realistic offer to move at this time, when nobody knows what the players will be earning once this virus shit is over. Bad news for the merge though, they were struggling already and hes their second best player after McInnes.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He was quoted as saying he wanted to sign with a team who could win a premiership.

If you were his teammate or coaching staff at the Dragons would that not irk you? did he have to publicly say he wanted to leave because he knows the Dragons won't win a premiership in the playing window that he has left in the NRL.

If I was his current teammate I'd help pack his bags and say fuck off then.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thought the Bulldogs were building a Premiership side, we should of been in the chase.