Merging

Emdog85

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we had to one day and couldn't have Canterbury and Bulldogs in the name, who would want to be say Canterbury Bankstown Sharks or Cronulla Sutherland Bulldogs?

Personally, I'm a Bulldog, with no connection to Canterbury or Belmore besides the dogs, so obviously from that example, I'd want to be called the Cronulla Sutherland Bulldogs. Even that still sounds disgusting but we couldn't lose being called Bulldogs could we?

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
we couldn't lose being called Bulldogs could we?
do we?
This is a bulldog?
D6D500A3-5DA0-41D7-AE9D-9411241B9654.jpeg

what is a bulldog ?
It's a docile fat dog with breathing issues.

not ferocious or poised.
A better dog would have been a pit bull or a German Shepherd.
These dogs will lead a man to water, fight off a killer, out think a bear and co exist with the weather.

For me, it's important we retain the jersey and identity and people.

Emdog85

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
do we?
This is a bulldog?
View attachment 14067

what is a bulldog ?
It's a docile fat dog with breathing issues.

not ferocious or poised.
A better dog would have been a pit bull or a German Shepherd.
These dogs will lead a man to water, fight off a killer, out think a bear and co exist with the weather.

For me, it's important we retain the jersey and identity and people.
Each to their own. I do agree with your last paragraph but say we did become the Canterbury Bankstown sharks, you'd want to say you are a shark and not a bulldog?

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If we had to one day and couldn't have Canterbury and Bulldogs in the name, who would want to be say Canterbury Bankstown Sharks or Cronulla Sutherland Bulldogs?

Personally, I'm a Bulldog, with no connection to Canterbury or Belmore besides the dogs, so obviously from that example, I'd want to be called the Cronulla Sutherland Bulldogs. Even that still sounds disgusting but we couldn't lose being called Bulldogs could we?
If we can't have Canterbury or the Bulldogs in the name then I wouldn't care because I wouldn't be supporting whatever club it was. Can give up the Canterbury part. Did it already with Sydney. But not the Bulldogs.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Each to their own. I do agree with your last paragraph but say we did become the Canterbury Bankstown sharks, you'd want to say you are a shark and not a bulldog?
I like the Bullshark concept as a sporting brand but not really a fan of half measures. Best to satisfy one group and disappoint another rather than make both pissed.

If we merge I can handle Canterbury Sutherland Bulldogs as the colour scheme is identical and we are geographic neighbours. But what's in it for Cronulla?
Cronulla-Sutherlands strength is their logo like us, not their territory.
We both have issues with our location, there's is too small for an NRL team and ours are a location tainted as ISIS sympathisers, gang rapists, foreign, shady and poor.

I remember ten years ago Parra were thinking of ditching the eel, so a parramatta Bulldogs could theoretically work too. A more prestigious location to lean on whilst we retain our logo. but this is where the Negative to a rivalry comes in. Will be northern eagles all over.

Last edited:

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I like the Bullshark concept as a sporting brand but not really a fan of half measures. Best to satisfy one group and disappoint another rather than make both pissed.

If we merge I can handle Canterbury Sutherland Bulldogs as the colour scheme is identical and we are geographic neighbours. But what's in it for Cronulla?
Cronulla-Sutherlands strength is their logo like us, not their territory.
We both have issues with our location, there's is too small for an NRL team and ours are a location tainted as ISIS sympathisers, gang rapists, foreign, shady and poor.

I remember ten years ago Parra were thinking of ditching the eel, so a parramatta Bulldogs could theoretically work too. A more prestigious location to lean on whisky we retain our logo. but this is where the Negative to a rivalry comes in. Will be northern eagles all over.
Mate. You've done really well getting a Bulldog page to talk about such topics. Bravo to you

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mergers will only work if there are two teams in trouble that are close to each other. Say Manly, Cronulla, Warriors and Penrith are the clubs in trouble you can’t really merge them and you can’t merge them with a strong club because it will just be a takeover like St George Illawarra.
Although Wests and Balmain weren't exactly close - we're between them, yet they still were allowed to merge.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Although Wests and Balmain weren't exactly close - we're between them, yet they still were allowed to merge.
Yeah same as Kogarah and Wollongong aren’t exactly close but they aren't far enough away for it to not work. Manly, Penrith, New Zealand, Gold Coast and Cronulla are probably in the danger zone and I can’t see any mergers between them working.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
People won't be going to the Leagues Club as much as they won't have the money to spend. So the Leagues Club will take a massive hit. However, expect others to be worse off and maybe we can take loans & buy them out? Who knows. Opportunities everywhere
When people are down on their luck they gamble more, in the hope they can get the big win. The pokies at the club will be going flat out when this is over.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Some people after a couple of days on lockdown;
FE17E64D-1D0B-4A1C-A145-022AB4CB7C02.gif

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The players shouldn't get much atm,month by month zero or 13% of there wage ,if the season is wiped out and we survive most contracts will be zero because of the re structure and if where in a healthy state and don't merge we can go into the market hard ,time will tell

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah same as Kogarah and Wollongong aren’t exactly close but they aren't far enough away for it to not work. Manly, Penrith, New Zealand, Gold Coast and Cronulla are probably in the danger zone and I can’t see any mergers between them working.
Penrith are too big to fail. They have enough assets to get them through, even if the cash is tight. Same for us. The Gold Coast would probably lose their registration, and it would go to a second Brisbane club; or they will merge with an existing club from the Brisbane comp.

If rural Australia suffers worse than the cities, the Cowboys might find themselves struggling to stay viable. Like the Warriors, they have long distances to travel each week.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Fuck no.
We just got rid of Reynolds and Mbye.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Penrith are too big to fail. They have enough assets to get them through, even if the cash is tight. Same for us. The Gold Coast would probably lose their registration, and it would go to a second Brisbane club; or they will merge with an existing club from the Brisbane comp.

If rural Australia suffers worse than the cities, the Cowboys might find themselves struggling to stay viable. Like the Warriors, they have long distances to travel each week.
Personally I don’t think any club will fold or merge anyway. The problems will arise if this season doesn’t restart and the Leagues Clubs are closed for more then 6 months which is the absolute worst case scenario. Even then the Leagues Clubs would be in a good position to secure loans. The privately owned clubs are a lottery it all depends on how much financial damage the owners have received and if they want to dip into their own pockets to save their clubs.

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Meth helps me stay up all night to post. But I am not the other two.
Bulldogs fan here: I am you. Death is but a doorway . Meth is but a journey to transcendance. Fight club me bro

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Merge with the Tigers. Western Sydney Bulldogs. We would be a super club with the power of all those leagues clubs behind us

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I would absolutely rather fold than merge. No teams would mix well with us, and we would lose at least half of our identity. I have no idea how Wests fans started supporting the Wests Tigers, at least Balmain fans got to keep their mascot.

Norths and Manly never mixed well, but I guess St George and Steelers seems to have gone ok.