Opinion Realistically, is there real chance that some clubs may die due to current situation?

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Read today there is a possibility that there will only be 10 teams next season if this season doesn’t go ahead. Are they serious?

If that did happen would all the players join surviving clubs? A lot of good players without a team due to salary cap or a lot players get pushed out.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't think that many would go belly up.

Between the NRL, Leagues Clubs, State and Local Governments, Private Investors or even Go Fund Me groups, there are certain teams that have too much history or too much value to a community to let die and through those means, I think they'll scrounge together enough money to survive.

Don't forget there will be a new TV Rights deal soon to inject some cash back into the game and the NRL would have to give a greater percentage of that money to clubs considering the circumstances.

I think realistically two or three clubs might go bust or be asked to relocate.

I think we'll stay at 16 teams. The Titans will become a second Brisbane team and another team (Cronulla?) might be forced to move to Perth where that consortium has enough money to finance a team for a while.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
NRL can't keep propping up teams like the Titans who haven't looked winning a premiership since their Inception.... use that money as savings for a rainy day.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I reckon the Roosters cop a massive hit with the sharemarket diving. I'm wandering if Uncle Nick will hang around?

yearofthedogs2018

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don't think that many would go belly up.

Between the NRL, Leagues Clubs, State and Local Governments, Private Investors or even Go Fund Me groups, there are certain teams that have too much history or too much value to a community to let die and through those means, I think they'll scrounge together enough money to survive.

Don't forget there will be a new TV Rights deal soon to inject some cash back into the game and the NRL would have to give a greater percentage of that money to clubs considering the circumstances.

I think realistically two or three clubs might go bust or be asked to relocate.

I think we'll stay at 16 teams. The Titans will become a second Brisbane team and another team (Cronulla?) might be forced to move to Perth where that consortium has enough money to finance a team for a while.
Scott Morrison won’t let Cronulla fold, they’ll be saved.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
As long as the bulldogs stay, that’s all that matters in terms of if a few teams do go. As long as it’s not US then SWEET :grinning:

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
As long as the bulldogs stay, that’s all that matters in terms of if a few teams do go. As long as it’s not US then SWEET :grinning:
If we were to fold, which i highly doubt, that would be the end of me and rugby league. No way could i ever support another team.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
If we were to fold, which i highly doubt, that would be the end of me and rugby league. No way could i ever support another team.
Agree man, id need west coast pirates to come into the comp to be even remotely interested.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bloody oath, goes without saying man.!!! Bulldogs are the one and only.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The refereeing has meant that I can't even muster the enthusiasm to watch an Origin game anymore. So if our club folded I'd never watch league again.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
The refereeing has meant that I can't even muster the enthusiasm to watch an Origin game anymore. So if our club folded I'd never watch league again.
The Bulldogs are the only thing that keep me interested, outside of that I could easily not give a damn about the NRL.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everything needs to be done to ensure there are no casualties. Even if there's a reset, traditional clubs should not be left to die. If possible, they need to be rebooted with help from the governing body - whether that be the NRL or another body that succeeds it.

Rugby League would not be the same without the Dogs playing Parra and St George. Souths v Easts and so on. It's the tradition of the game that is in the hearts of fans. The fans love their clubs and the tradition of the game. The traditional Sydney clubs must survive along with all other clubs for the good of the game and for the fans. Super league never succeeded because it tried to dictate the product to the fans. Way too manufactured. Clubs like Canterbury, Parra, Souths St George etc are woven deep into the fabric of society. Anyone who wants to do away with with these icons of the game can go and get fcked as far as i'm concerned.

Love live Canterbury Bankstown and long live rugby league the greatest game of all.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very big chance for clubs reliant on pokie machines as no one will be feeding them for months, but that is a great thing for those people.

If I had to make a list of those I think are in trouble:
Manly
Cronulla
Titans

I also think with the trouble News Corpse are likely to face both the Broncos and Melb are on shaky ground.

I'd love to see lol@souffs collapse but then who would I hate with such passion?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Very big chance for clubs reliant on pokie machines as no one will be feeding them for months, but that is a great thing for those people.

If I had to make a list of those I think are in trouble:
Manly
Cronulla
Titans

I also think with the trouble News Corpse are likely to face both the Broncos and Melb are on shaky ground.

I'd love to see lol@souffs collapse but then who would I hate with such passion?
1 and 3 on that list are privately owned, so it will be up to the owners if they want to keep chucking money in.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
I’m the same would only ever watch State of Origin again and finally properly move to Newtown as my side. I live a block away from Henson Park and go to more Jets games these days.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Our future is pretty much secure provided Manly fold before us so we relocate as the dogs have said behind closed doors.
If not... who knows. I can't see them outliving the doggies but.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everything needs to be done to ensure there are no casualties. Even if there's a reset, traditional clubs should not be left to die. If possible, they need to be rebooted with help from the governing body - whether that be the NRL or another body that succeeds it.

Rugby League would not be the same without the Dogs playing Parra and St George. Souths v Easts and so on. It's the tradition of the game that is in the hearts of fans. The fans love their clubs and the tradition of the game. The traditional Sydney clubs must survive along with all other clubs for the good of the game and for the fans. Super league never succeeded because it tried to dictate the product to the fans. Way too manufactured. Clubs like Canterbury, Parra, Souths St George etc are woven deep into the fabric of society. Anyone who wants to do away with with these icons of the game can go and get fcked as far as i'm concerned.

Love live Canterbury Bankstown and long live rugby league the greatest game of all.
‘you are correct , the history of playing rivals makes the game, especially Sydney rivalries . Hence why aleague is a flop

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Would love nothing more than seeing Storm fold, dirty bastards have had a stink about them from day dot.
Join the Rabbitohs and Roosters, let them kill each other. Unca Nick and Unca Wayne can hit the Over-80's swingers circuit together.
Merge Dragqueens and Sharps. Make Illawarra a stand alone team again-loved the Steelers.
Bring back North Sydney Bears, pack up GC Titans to Perth. Fuck yeah, bring it on I would be stoked with a re-jigged comp like that.
Eels and Broncos can be kicked out too if need be. ........no loss there.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
See RednGreenturd on Fox Sports saying the clubs with leagues clubs are in a more dire position than privately owned cos they have no income and private owners can provide money to prop their club up.

1. Yes they can...but will they?
2. If the reporter $200m the CLC has is true, that’s about $50m more than the NRL...best you worry about your own backyard first Toddy!

Yes, it will be a struggle for the Dogs but somehow I can’t see the CLC letting the footy club fold

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
You poor bastard. Your missing the pinnacle of our great game. Maybe you don't understand it.