Opinion Current situation regarding the future of Luke Thompson

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay got a fair question here was watching NRL 360 and was interested in the chairman’s comments, regarding the current salary cap and how it is most likely to be reduced from,$9.75m and how players are most likely gonna have to take a pay cuts.

so my question is if we have signed Thomson on a large salary and that if the salary does get reduced and we no longer have the cap space to sign him for the agreed price could Thompson no longer be willing to relocate to Australia and take less then the initial agreed amount. I could seriously see this pandemic costing us more then other clubs.

What’s your thoughts ?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
ESL is in a bigger hole, both deeper and longer and they don’t have our leagues club backing. Any pay cut Thompson has to take here would still mean that he would be paid much less if he stayed there. Plus the StHelens guys are saying that he wants to play NRL to test himself, see how he goes in the premier league competition. So it’s not just about the money to him.

Go Dogs

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'd think that the Super league competition would be better managed financially than our own comp. Assuming they (NRL admin) aren't just trying to gouge money from the government to ensure their own bonuses get paid while they justify sacking non essential staff. I'd assume that by next season the NRL or an equivalent competition if they really go broke will be running once again close to fully financed. So I'd expect the contract of Thompson will stand.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
He might change his mind for non money factors.

he probably saw these idiots at Bondi beach the other day and people at Bondi pub ignoring social distancing and doesn't approve of the character of us.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Super league are probably in a worse position financially. Would be interesting to see how many players come back because clubs fold or can't be paid. Dogs should make a hit list of ex pats. Jimmy at 7 , foz at 6. Austin or Hastings at 9. All on cheaper deals due to circumstances.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd think that the Super league competition would be better managed financially than our own comp. Assuming they (NRL admin) aren't just trying to gouge money from the government to ensure their own bonuses get paid while they justify sacking non essential staff. I'd assume that by next season the NRL or an equivalent competition if they really go broke will be running once again close to fully financed. So I'd expect the contract of Thompson will stand.
i think you'll find that the Super league Is not in great shape, hence why we've been seeing so many Englishmen over here lately.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
ESL is in a bigger hole, both deeper and longer and they don’t have our leagues club backing. Any pay cut Thompson has to take here would still mean that he would be paid much less if he stayed there. Plus the StHelens guys are saying that he wants to play NRL to test himself, see how he goes in the premier league competition. So it’s not just about the money to him.

Go Dogs
He would also have the very same clauses in his contract that he signed to play for us, as any other NRL player has. Hence he would be obliged to take a pay cut like everyone else and honour his deal.
The thing is, every person, every business in the world will be affected by this. They/we will all ha e to help eachother out. I will use a cafe for example. If you owned a building or a shop that housed a cafe, you would be an idiot to keep charging them rent during this time. If you did, they would just shut up shop, and when this eventually blows over you would need to find a new tenant. But if you chose not to charge rent, you would have a client the minute everything resumes. Same goes for Thompson. If he denies on his contract, he will have to hope he can get one next year in the ESL. And theres every chance that teams will fold there. So you risk it all in the how of signing another contract of equal value, or you ride it out and hope your current contract doesn't reduce too much.
The only reason i can see Thompson not coming, would be if he lost several family members to this virus and decided to stay.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Word is super league aren't in a great position either ... They have some pretty poor clubs, look at Bradford Bulls having to fold and go down to the reserve grade comp as they couldn't afford it anymore, fans tried to prop the club up twice but it failed it the end. I'd say plenty of minnow clubs would be in a similar position now.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Word is super league aren't in a great position either ... They have some pretty poor clubs, look at Bradford Bulls having to fold and go down to the reserve grade comp as they couldn't afford it anymore, fans tried to prop the club up twice but it failed it the end. I'd say plenty of minnow clubs would be in a similar position now.
Aka .. the whole world as a matter of fact lol.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He might change his mind for non money factors.

he probably saw these idiots at Bondi beach the other day and people at Bondi pub ignoring social distancing and doesn't approve of the character of us.
95% of them where his own people though

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Is it THAT bad if he doesn't come?

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
All this is speculation right now.

After the virus comes economic shitstorm that will take a while to rectify - maybe years. You can't shutdown the world like this without creating a disaster.

Nothing is certain for the next 3 - 6 months. Hold on to your wits and humour, you will need both.

cyborg66

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
he will be playing for the bulldogs next year theres going to be a clean out to make room for him

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Super League salaries, with the exception of the marquee player, are much less than NRL players generally, and I'd say they would be struggling as much, if not more than NRL clubs.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
yep this deal is off
cap could be half
we might not even come back from this

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
the world will be very different on the other side of this
if you think otherwise you are the most naive **** ever
big changes coming, people will be starving in the street.
in a thin margin economy like ours, with so many living week to week this will be a very critical situation very soon. League is the last of everyones worries