The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It was only a matter of time before this thread popped back up

Surprised it's taken this long :tonguewink::tearsofjoy:

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m no fan of Pay but stacking him up against former premiership winning coaches is ridiculous considering the circumstances he has had. You just can’t click your fingers and get a winning culture.

The rest of this season will tell us a lot about Pay and under no circumstances should he be re-signed until the end of the year then reassess everything.
He has to be “stacked” against other coaches as it’s the way of determining where he stands a successful NRL coach. Can’t keep blaming the salary cap or the roster. We all can see a poor game plan, roster management and playing players out of position for three seasons now.
Our successful coaches have all had success in lower grades not only at the elite level. It’s time to #sackpay

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay needs to go regardless we get pay was the last boards appointment but was reassigned by current board ..just say we had it wrong get the right person in there and get this team back to where it belongs
Someone who won’t be scared to tap 15 of them on the shoulder and say perform or fuck off

Last edited:

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay should have been turfed out last year.
It doesnt really matter how much he has left , this season is written off in my opinion.
Of course the excuses will come thick and fast...... that he hasn’t got a decent roster etc etc blah blah .
How about all the coaches around the world in numerous codes who take not so flash rosters yet you see improvements in some players .
No player has improved under Pay in the time he has coached us, in fact players have regressed under him.
I agree %

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see his JOB is not so different to my JOB. We both have targets to reach. Difference is, if I under performed for two years, I would have lost my business by now, and maybe killed people ( being an electrician).

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's exactly what happen to Kevin Moore in 2011 - tap on the shoulder and he elected to walk immediately - hence Dymock for the balance of the season and to put some context into Dymock's 62.5% win rate - it was 8 games (5-3).
True regarding Dymock, as it was in the timeline I left it in. If you recall in 2011, we had fair D but no attack, Dymock took over and we started scoring tries.

Pay has been shooting his mouth of from day 1, Dogs if war, the entertainers, bring back the bulldog DNA. All these teams mentioned had great coaches. You never saw Anderson play Jarred McCrackin at 5/8 or half back. Or Folks play Elmasri at center! Come on all let’s be real, Pay has to go immediately, offer Dymock the remainder of the year, then go after Gould to work with him for next year.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He has to be “stacked” against other coaches as it’s the way of determining where he stands a successful NRL coach. Can’t keep blaming the salary cap or the roster. We all can see a poor game plan, roster management and playing players out of position for three seasons now.
Our successful coaches have all had success in lower grades not only at the elite level. It’s time to #sackpay
No he needs to judged on his merits. What’s the point in comparing him to Ted Glossop some 40 years ago? Judge him on what’s on the field. He needs a good season to stay at the club in my opinion. The most disappointing aspect of his coaching is there has been no major improvement in the players they don’t get better with more NRL games. This year is a write off and there’s no coach out there that is going to drastically improve the team and sacking Pay now just complicates a lot of things. If nothing improves then we don’t re-sign him.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No he needs to judged on his merits. What’s the point in comparing him to Ted Glossop some 40 years ago? Judge him on what’s on the field. He needs a good season to stay at the club in my opinion. The most disappointing aspect of his coaching is there has been no major improvement in the players they don’t get better with more NRL games. This year is a write off and there’s no coach out there that is going to drastically improve the team and sacking Pay now just complicates a lot of things. If nothing improves then we don’t re-sign him.
This season didn’t have to be a write off though, if the club got rid of him last season, we are just wasting so much valuable time for no reason

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate being an NRL coach means your performances as a coach is judge against other past and present coaches across the board.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
True regarding Dymock, as it was in the timeline I left it in. If you recall in 2011, we had fair D but no attack, Dymock took over and we started scoring tries.

Pay has been shooting his mouth of from day 1, Dogs if war, the entertainers, bring back the bulldog DNA. All these teams mentioned had great coaches. You never saw Anderson play Jarred McCrackin at 5/8 or half back. Or Folks play Elmasri at center! Come on all let’s be real, Pay has to go immediately, offer Dymock the remainder of the year, then go after Gould to work with him for next year.
I’m not defending Pay or think he’s a great coach but I haven’t heard him ‘shooting his mouth off’ about anything.

Before the 2018 season he allegedly said something about ‘bringing back the madness’ and playing ‘eyes up footy’ though I’ve never actually seen those quotes attributed to him.

Why do many think Dymock is a solution? We overlooked him twice and then the Sharks did too - he simply can’t offer that much.

Gould has said publicly and more than once he has no interest in any coaching role (even oversight).

So it comes back to the question asked many times. If Pay has to go, he has to be replaced by someone who’s clearly a step up. And who is that person?

Hint: it’s not Shane Flanagan and it’s not Geoff Toovey.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Pay should have been turfed out last year.
It doesnt really matter how much he has left , this season is written off in my opinion.
Of course the excuses will come thick and fast...... that he hasn’t got a decent roster etc etc blah blah .
How about all the coaches around the world in numerous codes who take not so flash rosters yet you see improvements in some players .
No player has improved under Pay in the time he has coached us, in fact players have regressed under him.
Really, so Elliott hasn’t improved, even the Elliot haters on here would disagree with you on that.

I think you’d get plenty of arguments if you claimed Meaney hasn’t improved.

Britt is playing better in 2 games with us that has in any previous NRL season.

CHN last season was so improved that he earned a permanent spot in the Kiwi teams.

Napa, even his detractors would agree is playing way better this year.

To’omaga and RFM are now permanent NRL players.

Wakeham, etc etc

Go Dogs

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
This season didn’t have to be a write off though, if the club got rid of him last season, we are just wasting so much valuable time for no reason
But they didn’t he’s still here. Now there is definitely some reasons. There’s so much uncertainty around the game now. Do we even have the money to sack him? And if we do sack him I have no doubt it will be Antonelli or Georgallis replacing him which won’t change a thing.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If he keeps dishing up what we saw the other night he has to go that was a disgraceful performance clearly his coaching/guidance isn’t working,to be fair id say till round 10

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mate being an NRL coach means your performances as a coach is judge against other past and present coaches across the board.
I don’t agree there is plenty of factors besides that. He’s not getting sacked with so much uncertainty around especially at our club.

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Pay needs to go regardless we get pay was this boards appointment but just say we had it wrong get the right person in there and get this team back to where it belongs
Someone who won’t be scared to tap 15 of them on the shoulder and say perform or fuck off
Wrong, Pay was appointed by previous board, after assuring members we would go through a thorough process to find the best candidate Ray Dib gave Pay the job the next day

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pay needs to go regardless we get pay was this boards appointment but just say we had it wrong get the right person in there and get this team back to where it belongs
The old board recruited him, the current board just renewed his contract. The reason the old board recruited him was because they were under pressure from fans to bring back our DNA. I thought it was a poor decision at the time to get an inexperienced coach. I'd personally have preferred us to chase Cleary at the time.

But right now I don't see any fantastic options available. We either go for another gamble on a different rookie coach or stick with someone that might just get his shit together.

The players seem to have respect for him. Our defence has been getting towards the best any club offers overall (we have had poor weeks). But our attack hasn't fired. But given that the average fan on here will admit that our spine has been a real work in progress for the entirety of his time here, so that will hamper the attack.

I'd quietly let him know that if we're not sitting at around 50% with our win/loss ratio by mid season that we're going to be shopping for a new coach.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
There's very few people on here who give an objective opinion.

Those who love him can see he does no wrong and he's improved players like a Bennett or Bellamy style coach, I can't take those opinions seriously.

We can sign players for 21 now, let's see who's signed by mid season. Let's see where we sit on the ladder by mid season.

Most of the players in this side have been signed or re-signed by Pay, the excuse of him not having the players he wants is wearing thin. And the obsession with defence with no focus on attack is laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.