Opinion Thursday night live - observations

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
  • Hoppa put in a massive shift.
  • Whakham is a real footballer with some attitude, he was giving verbal cheek to parra all night.
  • Renuf is looking lean and mean, needs more minutes to help with go forward.
  • Stimpson is bang average, hope this is due to the whole game being like this.
  • We have no go forward coming out of our own end, absolutly dominated the whole game. Lewis kicked from the 30m line all game. We only got field position through penalties or oppisition errors.
  • Parra made heaps of errors.
  • We defended brilliantly, just not sure if this will be enough against better opposition.
  • This was a very poor quality game.
  • Like the new scrum rule.
  • Think the captains challange is waist of space.
  • the only thing that wobbled more rhan Moses bombs was DWZ. He will come good.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I have watched 3 games so far and none of them were of any worthwhile standard. Titans were just plain horrible, Holbrook’s half time “talk” worked for about 10 minutes then they dropped the ball (sic). Cowboys were not much better, everything they tried was clunky and unco. The Donkeys, non existent team work, individual performances were their saviour. In that context our performance was pretty damn good.

Go Dogs

altair

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I have watched 3 games so far and none of them were of any worthwhile standard. Titans were just plain horrible, Holbrook’s half time “talk” worked for about 10 minutes then they dropped the ball (sic). Cowboys were not much better, everything they tried was clunky and unco. The Donkeys, non existent team work, individual performances were their saviour. In that context our performance was pretty damn good.

Go Dogs
Yep
Gus was saying how the broncos vs cowboys performance was underwhelming compared to our game

He even mentioned how fit we were and how we worked as a unit, when he was describing the cowboys as an older, tired group of players with no green shoots (young up and comers)

I don’t think our performance was that bad at all. Watching it live at the game I never felt frustrated more so unlucky that we couldn’t finish off a try or two.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think both teams actually need credit . The forward battle was brutal with good defence on both sides which I think led to the errors.
My call of the season , parra and dogs grand final

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Our kicking game and lack of go forward on tackles 1, 2 and 3 is our biggest problem. We can't expect our boys to tackle themselves into the ground week after week. We can't continually start sets on our tryline and hand the ball back on their 40m line. Something needs to be done about this asap.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Go Dogs
The Rorters v Pennies game was good, game of the round thus far

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I have watched all games so far and ours was the best. Our defence was outstanding the best I have seen for ages
Once we get our attack in order we will give it to every team. Although we lost still great effort. Well done boys

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
At the game & these were my observations.
* defence was well organised & scrambled well. Much better than first match last year.
* attacking formation not so good. You could see no shape for most sets. Flat line of players. Will no be competitive until our attacking plan is sorted out. Both short & long game.
* Still not certain if DWZ or Hoppa should switch. He look a little shaky under the high ball.
* 100 % effort by all players
* not much variation in set. Generally pass to a forward to take the tackle. The other variation was the pass to Lewis then onto a forward. Very predictable & unlikely to produce more than 12 points per game.
* 2nd phase football almost non existent. This maybe an instruction to get completion high completion.
* In the modern game, wingers are also used as strike weapons. We do not possess those type of wingers. This does help our attack.
* not convinced with meaney. Nervous every time Ferguson ran at him. For the no try, he had Ferguson only inches from the sideline as still got swatted away.
* think Wakeham has the talent. Needs time. Also
Attacking mindset of the team does not help.
* R.Smith I think his a better winger than centre. Does not have the ball skills to set up his outside men. Only first game, will he get better?
* JMK, whole hearted player but without skills of the modern day hooker. After 2 years in this role, can't seem him developing those skills either.
Summary. Defence & attitude is there to be competitive. Attack needs to change to win game consistently. Too many sets that are predictable.
Attack needs more design, have defense guessing, more 2nd phase game. Let's see how Bulldogs next few games develop.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just thought i'd drop in and tell ya'll that Ferguson touched the sideline when he kicked it back infield when RFM dropped it forcing the drop out that gave the eels the ball to win the game.

BlackJackBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Just thought i'd drop in and tell ya'll that Ferguson touched the sideline when he kicked it back infield when RFM dropped it forcing the drop out that gave the eels the ball to win the game.
Where/when did we use our "captains challenge "?

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I saw that when it happened and mentioned it. Didn’t seem like anyone noticed

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah I saw that when it happened and mentioned it. Didn’t seem like anyone noticed
Never noticed it till I watched the game for third or fourth time lol.. In segments ofcourse.

When he swings his right foot to kick his foot just scraps the sideline and flicks up some white painted grass. Doubt it would ever get called unless it went to the video ref for a try.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Never noticed it till I watched the game for third or fourth time lol.. In segments ofcourse.

When he swings his right foot to kick his foot just scraps the sideline and flicks up some white painted grass. Doubt it would ever get called unless it went to the video ref for a try.
Yeah mate, saw it clear as day in the replay, I thought it was funny as the commentators were going through the replay it wasn’t mentioned.
Oh well, bring on Thursday haha

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah mate, saw it clear as day in the replay, I thought it was funny as the commentators were going through the replay it wasn’t mentioned.
Oh well, bring on Thursday haha
Only commentator that say it like it is, is Brett Finch. The rest of them hold their tongue and the best of it was over the weekend with Latrell Mitchell. Don't know how many people saw this in the Souths/Sharks game but Latrell chicken winged Wade Graham's leg after he scored. It was a putrid act with complete bad intentions behind it..... Nobody said a word and he still hasn't been charged by the review committee. I think we have another Untouchable Greg Inglis on our hands..

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Holland injured
Those splinters on his ass must be serious

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I have watched all games so far and ours was the best. Our defence was outstanding the best I have seen for ages
Once we get our attack in order we will give it to every team. Although we lost still great effort. Well done boys
Yes bullie our defensive was outstanding. We lack attack, we probably one or two key players away from a balanced team, I hope we see some real difference Thursday night against the cowgirls, DWZ can break the line, and Averillo needs to come in along with Harper, Elliot can also step up and smash it out.

Art Vandelay

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lewis reminds me of how Anasta was with with us towards the later years. Just without the speed.
Wakeham needs to get the ball more.
DWZ in attack was great.