Canterbury close in on front-of-jersey sponsor in time for Eel battle

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only good thing about this incident is that Rashays won't be on the front of our jersey. Nothing against them, but I'd question their ability to pay 2m bucks and doggies have always had blue chip corporates as shirt sponsors. Unfortunately some dumb ass fans shouted out Kia, a multi billion dollar company. They took their considerable money to brisbane. Massive downgrade from the likes of hyundai, kia and other major corporate sponsors we've had over the years.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Only good thing about this incident is that Rashays won't be on the front of our jersey. Nothing against them, but I'd question their ability to pay 2m bucks and doggies have always had blue chip corporates as shirt sponsors. Unfortunately some dumb ass fans shouted out Kia, a multi billion dollar company. They took their considerable money to brisbane. Massive downgrade from the likes of hyundai, kia and other major corporate sponsors we've had over the years.
'Fans' shouted out KIA? Um, how? And they didn't leave, they downgraded - they're still a sponsor.
And yes, they took a big chunk of their money to Brisbane - for reasons likely having nothing to do with the Bulldogs.
Always had blue chip corporates as shirt sponsors? Would that include Stardome in the late 90's which turned out to be a suspicious joint venture leading into the 2002 salary cap scandal?
What about National Telecoms Group in the early 2000's which went broke and then got sucked up into the scandal for Strathfield (Car Radios)?
Hardly blue chip.
There's two key criteria to sponsorship - they're not dodgy and they pay. Doesn't matter what type of business they're in.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Rashays boss wanted the club to rip up the contracts of the 2 players and then he would come to the table lol

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apparently in talks up until around 3.30pm today where rashays have informed the club they won’t be proceeding

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don’t take any issues with Rashays pulling out of the deal, it’s understandable and not many brands would want to stay on. Especially knowing a bulldogs scandal is the media’s wet dream and this will likely be in the news for days.

But what really irks me is them obviously now using it as a PR opportunity to promote their ‘family values’ and push their brand out. Posting on FB a statement with a big red x across the bulldogs jersey is poor form. The owner coming out on the news saying he has 3 daughters and it goes against his beliefs is laughable and just pandering to a media narrative.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
They said on NRL 360 the Leagues Club is going to pick up the sponsorship. There might be a picture on the jersey but we are essentially throwing money away.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apparently Todd Greenberg got involved today and spoke with rashays owner to convince him to do the deal with dogs - as per Brent Read nrl 360
I don’t take any issues with Rashays pulling out of the deal, it’s understandable and not many brands would want to stay on. Especially knowing a bulldogs scandal is the media’s wet dream and this will likely be in the news for days.

But what really irks me is them obviously now using it as a PR opportunity to promote their ‘family values’ and push their brand out. Posting on FB a statement with a big red x across the bulldogs jersey is poor form. The owner coming out on the news saying he has 3 daughters and it goes against his beliefs is laughable and just pandering to a media narrative.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

It’s similar to what Gary Johnston from
Jaycar did but this bloke seems more genuine

Costa84

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They said on NRL 360 the Leagues Club is going to pick up the sponsorship. There might be a picture on the jersey but we are essentially throwing money away.
Serious question.... Why is everyone so concerned about a major sponsor? What significance is there besides jersey aesthetics ? Is it potential 3rd party deals we could miss out on?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Serious question.... Why is everyone so concerned about a major sponsor? What significance is there besides jersey aesthetics ? Is it potential 3rd party deals we could miss out on?
It should be a concern when you are throwing away a million dollars which now turns into two million when you consider the lost million from Rashays and then the extra million the Leagues Club has to shell out. The Leagues Club has a 50mil debt to service and whilst it’s financially fine at the minute no company should be ok with throwing that type of money away.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Me personally I don’t care but a lot of people seem more worried what other people think of us. It’s less money we need to obtain from the leagues club but not such a big deal. I’d like a sponsor less jersey

Costa84

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But how does it effect the football club??

It's not as if lost sponsorship cash will result in less cap funds available to use on players.

Unless we were expecting Rashays to chip in for TPA deals

Costa84

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Me personally I don’t care but a lot of people seem more worried what other people think of us. It’s less money we need to obtain from the leagues club but not such a big deal. I’d like a sponsor less jersey
I think a sponsor less jersey does look odd, but other than aesthetics I can't understand anyone else's concern over the loss of a major sponsor... It shouldn't impact team performance in anyway... it's not as if the club is struggling for cash is it?

I understand the club being upset from a financial standpoint but why would any fan care if the club is generating some extra cash from a sponsor?

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Who cares I don’t! Shitty halal free food anyway! I would have been embarrassed with that name on the front of our Jersey FFS