What if we have another bad start to the season?

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Is more about the support staff that u sign, a rookie coach like Pay took any carrot and was cheap and was signed with a support staff that the board wanted not the coach.If he had good results the board look like genuises? and saved serious $$$. The team has massive problems with the support staff and the board not acknowledging? that problem. Everybody is waiting for 2021 when the club has “unlimited” funds to buy whoever we want.Good luck...Go Dogs...
You definitely hit the nail on the head bro. The club should be looking to surround Dean Pay with the best possible coaching and football staff to continue his progression.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Gotta love the knives already being sharpened amongst ‘supporters’ on this forum.

This year’s all about improvement, let’s no set the bar too high. Realistically I think we can nudge the 8 this year, anywhere thereabouts (~11th and above) will be a pass mark with all things considered. If our spine can gel early, along with more improvement from our youngsters, then we could jag a spot in the 8.

Unless we’re sitting in the bottom 3 or 4 come round 10 then I don’t see much pressure being on Pays job.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
It'd not going to happen so don't worry about it :grinning:

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Nice sentiment,but our team is not feeling the love because all they hear is that the club has massive dollars to spend next year and can buy a premiership.Tell me how that is meant to build confidence and unity.
Rubbish. All reports from those inside the tent paint a very different picture.

Dollars on offer for players chasing a new contract or top up. Plenty of incentive

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Even if we had another poor start to the season and the club decided to move on for next year, I don't see him getting sacked before the end of the year.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice sentiment,but our team is not feeling the love because all they hear is that the club has massive dollars to spend next year and can buy a premiership.Tell me how that is meant to build confidence and unity.
I agree with u but let's at least try to put a positive spin on things,

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
FUCK KNOWS!!!!
Im a miserable prick so I just want to look forward to the start of the season instead of negatively speculating on nothing.
You’re definitely not a miserable prick then mate. Most of us want to start the season well but the death riding by some on here is incredible

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Is more about the support staff that u sign, a rookie coach like Pay took any carrot and was cheap and was signed with a support staff that the board wanted not the coach.If he had good results the board look like genuises? and saved serious $$$. The team has massive problems with the support staff and the board not acknowledging? that problem. Everybody is waiting for 2021 when the club has “unlimited” funds to buy whoever we want.Good luck...Go Dogs...
4 of the football department staff were let go last year, so I don’t think we can say that either the board or the coach haven’t acted on the football department staff where required. Pay publicly stated he had nothing to do with the changes as well.

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
Rubbish. All reports from those inside the tent paint a very different picture.

Dollars on offer for players chasing a new contract or top up. Plenty of incentive
All reports!! Try a different tent my friend.Tell me how you get unity in a team when some know they won’t be there next year and some are fighting for spots which won’t be there

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It's a results driven game, as much as Pay deserves some latitude for taking over the reins at a low point with minimal wiggle room, if the results aren't where they should be he will be under pressure.
The definition of what the results should look like with the cattle available is one for debate.
We have at best a fringe 8 team on paper. The back end of last year the squad showed a lot of heart, trust in one another and busted themselves for the jersey. That has to be the bare minimum level to start the year.
We also showed we struggle to score points and capitalise on opportunity.
The squad pass mark for me is to show the same tenacity in defense as late last year, to show improvement in attack and increased composure in the attacking zone.
We were in a similar position this time last year, coming off a strong finish to the previous season, plenty of optimism, then Pay moved players from left to right side of the field, breaking up promising combinations and having players starting from scratch. A similar thing is happening again this year which is concerning.
Eels, Cowboys, Tigers, Sharks and Rabbits in the first 5 rounds is a difficult start to the season, we need to win 2 to 3 of these games to get the confidence up.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
All reports!! Try a different tent my friend.Tell me how you get unity in a team when some know they won’t be there next year and some are fighting for spots which won’t be there
Precisely one of the reasons why apart from Thompson no 2021 announcements have been made (the cynics will say because there’s no further signings, but I don’t necessarily agree with that). And the Thompson announcement is likely because someone else has already signalled their intent to leave after 2020. The club aren’t stupid...

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
4 of the football department staff were let go last year, so I don’t think we can say that either the board or the coach haven’t acted on the football department staff where required. Pay publicly stated he had nothing to do with the changes as well.
Of course he didn’t

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Every off contract member of our squad has an opportunity to be here next year. Perform to a standard and demonstrate the right attitude and an offer will be tabled.

We unveiled a slew of re-signatures late last year proving that we’ll look after our own if merited.

And if you look at the list of players we released, you can’t say any of them deserved a contract beyond last season.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You’re definitely not a miserable prick then mate. Most of us want to start the season well but the death riding by some on here is incredible
You saying my misses has been lying to me all this time, wait till she gets home.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
They are competitive professional athletes though and not contestants on the bachelor.
It gives them a great opportunity to fight for their spots and is very different to when the whole team was being shopped around because of our cap mismanagement

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
It was a hypothetical question.. a few people in here have trouble reading it appears..

The question wasn't , how do you think we are going to start or how do you think we will go..

it was if we go bad then what.. ffs

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No excuses this year... We have a squad to do well.. obviously available players has a big say in it..

If he selections aren't up to scratch I'll be calling for his head early..

Persistence with underperforming players is something I'll be very interested in and how it is handled..
Lol we have the squad to do well.....we have a mediocre team that lacks creativity mongrel and a half back that can direct the team...our team simply lacks quality

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We need a crisis plan for the Kennel. A step by step guide so this place doesn't go into meltdown and call for mass sackings