News Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs to host Canberra Raiders in 2020 NRL pre-season trial in Port Macquari

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Dean Pay is obviously a defensive coach.
Maybe we need to employ an attacking coach like the Nfl and they can split their pay. :p

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just seen that Jack Wighton re-signed with the Raiders until 2024. Not that I think he was ever a target for us.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Adam Elliott is out of the All Stars clash after suffering an ankle injury.
The Indigenous All Stars lock will not suit up against the New Zealand Maori side on the Gold Coast next Saturday after picking up a knock in an opposed session against the Bulldogs' under 20s side during the week.
Elliott is unlikely to be fit for Canterbury's trial against Canberra at Port Macquarie on February 29 but he is confident of being right for the season opener against Parramatta at Bankwest Stadium on March 12.
Source; https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/23/casualty-ward-all-the-latest-nrl-injury-news/

Go Dogs

Weak Gutted Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuck that's concerning when they say "household names like Elliot and Lewis" ... Far better players than those two in our squad.
I literally laughed out loud when I read that.
Household names: yeah cos one got nude on the front page of the Tele
And the other is the Kings nephew.

Lol

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
It sounds like Pay will start off the season with the same defensive mentality as predicted.

Improving the attack should be the focus and it will be interesting to see what changes, if any, have been made come Round 1.
Gees some people are hard to please. Attacking confidence grows on the back of solid defence. Sure we only scored an average of 2 tries a game last season and theres no doubt that important attacking adjustments have been made during the off season. Lets wait and see.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Gees some people are hard to please. Attacking confidence grows on the back of solid defence. Sure we only scored an average of 2 tries a game last season and theres no doubt that important attacking adjustments have been made during the off season. Lets wait and see.
That's why i said it will be interesting to see what happens come round 1. Why are you taking a simple comment and trying to turn it into something it's not?

I think if we have the same defensive and conservative gameplan as last season then we'll be easily figured out and it leaves no margin for error if you fall behind.

From Pay's comments he sounds like defence will be the focus once again. I hope he's just being sheepish and more adjustments have been made in attack. We'll soon find out.

How was my initial post or this one either slanderous or coming across as hard to please?

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Tota
Defence can certainly "assist" with attack.. but attack certainly does not always necessarily "come" from good defence.

so no, only dumb coaches will have that prehistoric mentality.. Modern day coaches need to devise intelligent strategic attack plans to get around regimented brick wall defences..

how does defence matter when you are camped in the opposition 20 metre zone for set after set and you cant manage to score because you do dumb one out hit ups ?
totally disagree. Its a well known fact that the attack of a team comes off the back of a well conducted defence.
If the defence is not happening, then the attack wont either.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tota

totally disagree. Its a well known fact that the attack of a team comes off the back of a well conducted defence.
If the defence is not happening, then the attack wont either.
I'm glad you are not coaching the team.... Or are you?

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
So if we play shit in this trial will some on here go oooh but its only a trial ? At some point there has to be some accountability with pay?

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
So if we play shit in this trial will some on here go oooh but its only a trial ? At some point there has to be some accountability with pay?

Yeah he would have definitely been held accountable if we had played our first graders and one of them been injured before round 1

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah he would have definitely been held accountable if we had played our first graders and one of them been injured before round 1
Interesting hypothetical for the fans that wanted a full strength Nines team for the whole tournament. Would you rather be knocked out in the group stages or make the final and have 3 injuries including a spine player and a prop racing the clock for Round 1 and probably be under done if they do play.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
We will be short starred in our trials anyway.
No Elliot, jmk, chn, Dwz maybe no jacko if he’s nose is not better.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
But then again sharks are gonna be without
Fifita graham ramien and nikora

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This Tolman 4th tackle shyte is wearing a bit thin, "get in the way" FFS what's he supposed to do when someone passes the ball to him, not catch it, knock it on, let it sale on past? The problem is not with the receiver it's the passer that shouldn't be passing it to him on the 4th (or 5th). We need to stop dumping the blame on Tolman, he's not the only forward that someone inappropriately passes the ball to late in the tackle count. The fault lies with whoever it is that is passing the ball in that direction and it's far from the halves only that are guilty of it.

Go Dogs
The fault lies with the coach.
I dont think Lewis came up with the spectacular inside ball to Tolls.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The fault lies with the coach.
I dont think Lewis came up with the spectacular inside ball to Tolls.
I’m pretty sure that’s there’s no way that any of the coaching staff are saying “make sure you pass the ball to Tolman on the 4th tackle”.

Maybe Lewis executed “the spectacular inside ball to Tolls” because whoever was outside and supposed to be the receiver wasn’t in position, wasn’t pushing up like they were coached to do.

I don’t think, during a game, that it’s all that unusual for players not to do what they are coached to do. Especially inexperienced, at NRL level, players like the majority of our team was last year. Many of them have now doubled, tripled or quadrupled their NRL level games experience. So this is their year to prove that they are truly NRL players, or not.

Go Dogs

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Interesting hypothetical for the fans that wanted a full strength Nines team for the whole tournament. Would you rather be knocked out in the group stages or make the final and have 3 injuries including a spine player and a prop racing the clock for Round 1 and probably be under done if they do play.
No one expected a full strength team obviously guys like jmk/hoppa/dwz/lewis/jacko/napa/tols/rfm/renouf all rested but ffs the team that won the day before why make wholesale changes ffs andrew ryan played an entire half ffs it was cleary already not a full strength team

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure that’s there’s no way that any of the coaching staff are saying “make sure you pass the ball to Tolman on the 4th tackle”.

Maybe Lewis executed “the spectacular inside ball to Tolls” because whoever was outside and supposed to be the receiver wasn’t in position, wasn’t pushing up like they were coached to do.

I don’t think, during a game, that it’s all that unusual for players not to do what they are coached to do. Especially inexperienced, at NRL level, players like the majority of our team was last year. Many of them have now doubled, tripled or quadrupled their NRL level games experience. So this is their year to prove that they are truly NRL players, or not.

Go Dogs
Inside ball was premeditated/set play (2 weeks in a row I think).
Tollman 4th tackle settlers (without impact I should add ) go back as far as 2 years before Pay arrived.
He shouldnt be touching a ball 15 out from the try line because he offers zero when he does and kills our momentum/attack.
Its up to the coach to identify deficiencies/weeknesses in attack and deference and rectify those deficiencies.
Players not doing what there coached to do would result in them being dropped.
Sure its footy, add lib and chances are to be taken advantage of or created on the fly.
Lets hope this year we dont see defaulting to feeding Tollman precious wasted ball at exactly the wrong time.