Movie Discussion

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
View attachment 13112

After a meteorite lands in the front yard of their farm, Nathan Gardner and his family find themselves battling a mutant extraterrestrial organism that infects their minds and bodies, transforming their quiet rural life into a technicolor nightmare.

Based on the h.p love craft short story, being a fan of his work I was looking forward to this one and wasn't disappointed. Richard Stanley's first film in 25 years after he was sacked three days into the shooting the island of Dr Moreau guided and delivered an experience that does the source material justice. Nick cage is nic cage, solid acting from the rest of the cast, l and I'll never look at an alpaca the same way after watching this.

3.5/5
Question. Did Q'orianka Kilcher bring 'it' in the film?

Wahesh

Reaction score
Who?

If she was who I think she was, no not at all. Amounted to about two minutes of screen time
According to IMDb, she in this film as Mayor Tooma. I haven't seen the movie before but wouldn't mind seeing it if she's in it - I've seen a few other films she's in and she's been pretty good.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
According to IMDb, she in this film as Mayor Tooma. I haven't seen the movie before but wouldn't mind seeing it if she's in it - I've seen a few other films she's in and she's been pretty good.
Yeah, figured that was her. As I said before, she's barely in it and the only impression she left on me was her large caboose

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
View attachment 13112

After a meteorite lands in the front yard of their farm, Nathan Gardner and his family find themselves battling a mutant extraterrestrial organism that infects their minds and bodies, transforming their quiet rural life into a technicolor nightmare.

Based on the h.p love craft short story, being a fan of his work I was looking forward to this one and wasn't disappointed. Richard Stanley's first film in 25 years after he was sacked three days into the shooting the island of Dr Moreau guided and delivered an experience that does the source material justice. Nick cage is nic cage, solid acting from the rest of the cast, l and I'll never look at an alpaca the same way after watching this.

3.5/5
I would have zero interest in seeing this movie, but strangely i really enjoyed your review!

Wahesh

Reaction score
S.W.A.T.: Under Siege

[URL]https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6014472/[/URL]

A SWAT compound comes under fire from an international terrorist who relentlessly and violently pursues a mystery man who was apprehended by Seattle SWAT after a raid went horribly wrong.

Michael Jai White continues to defy age. In this movie, a 49 year old MJW can sure as heck still move like he did early on in his career. I'm a big fan of all his movies... and this one was no different. Now the plot differs from other movies of this type as the S.W.A.T. team from being the hunters to the hunted. They get locked down in their own facility by a terrorist who has a small army on their doorstep and no way of contacting the outside world for help. They are after a man known as Scorpion (MJW) or... the information he knows, which is worth billions. This information is literally in his head. The small team. along side the mysterious Scorpion (who has been labelled a fugitive) must fight their way out of their own compound before the rebel army invades it instead.

Not a bad action movie, MJW was the stand out in this movie, and I wouldn't mind watching it again just for him.

7/10

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
S.W.A.T.: Under Siege

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6014472/

A SWAT compound comes under fire from an international terrorist who relentlessly and violently pursues a mystery man who was apprehended by Seattle SWAT after a raid went horribly wrong.

Michael Jai White continues to defy age. In this movie, a 49 year old MJW can sure as heck still move like he did early on in his career. I'm a big fan of all his movies... and this one was no different. Now the plot differs from other movies of this type as the S.W.A.T. team from being the hunters to the hunted. They get locked down in their own facility by a terrorist who has a small army on their doorstep and no way of contacting the outside world for help. They are after a man known as Scorpion (MJW) or... the information he knows, which is worth billions. This information is literally in his head. The small team. along side the mysterious Scorpion (who has been labelled a fugitive) must fight their way out of their own compound before the rebel army invades it instead.

Not a bad action movie, MJW was the stand out in this movie, and I wouldn't mind watching it again just for him.

7/10
Sounds like a modernization of an older movie where a gang does the same thing to a police station. I can't recall the name of that movie though.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sounds like a modernization of an older movie where a gang does the same thing to a police station. I can't recall the name of that movie though.
Assault on Precinct 13

And you're right. It's almost the exact same plot but it's SWAT instead of regular police and it's terrorists instead of gangs.

Guess they've modernised it.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
View attachment 13112

3.5/5
Was planning to see this at the movies but just haven't had time yet. It looks batshit crazy which is what I like.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Will put up full reviews later but here's some brief takes on movies I've recently seen on flights:

Uncut Gems - I know many here loved this film but 8 hated it. It was probably due to the mood I was in at the time but I found it just depressing and uncomfortable to watch

Horse Girl - interesting idea but poor execution. The main star (Alison Brie) is excellent and it has everything to make a good film but I just couldn't get into it. I also won't say much about it as I know some people will actually enjoy it and it's very easy to ruin the movie but I'll just say this. It's similar to Donnie Darko and tackles issues of mental health

Zombieland: Double Tap - I put off watching this as I fully expected it to ruin the first movie, but it was the complete opposite. Start to finish I absolutely loved it. At least twice as good as the original

There's other movies I watched too but I just can't remember them right now.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Will put up full reviews later but here's some brief takes on movies I've recently seen on flights:

Uncut Gems - I know many here loved this film but 8 hated it. It was probably due to the mood I was in at the time but I found it just depressing and uncomfortable to watch

Horse Girl - interesting idea but poor execution. The main star (Alison Brie) is excellent and it has everything to make a good film but I just couldn't get into it. I also won't say much about it as I know some people will actually enjoy it and it's very easy to ruin the movie but I'll just say this. It's similar to Donnie Darko and tackles issues of mental health

Zombieland: Double Tap - I put off watching this as I fully expected it to ruin the first movie, but it was the complete opposite. Start to finish I absolutely loved it. At least twice as good as the original

There's other movies I watched too but I just can't remember them right now.
Is Horse Girl a chick flick? I kind of get that vibe for it... but maybe that's just because Allison Brie is the main character of GLOW (a show I also sporadically watch).

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Is Horse Girl a chick flick? I kind of get that vibe for it... but maybe that's just because Allison Brie is the main character of GLOW (a show I also sporadically watch).
Nah. Definitely not. It's a psychological mind fuck of a movie. It's pretty slow too.

On the plus side though, Allison Brie gets full nekkid in it.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Nah. Definitely not. It's a psychological mind fuck of a movie. It's pretty slow too.

On the plus side though, Allison Brie gets full nekkid in it.
I saw that in the first episode of GLOW lol.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I still think they summed up Allison Brie perfectly in the first episode of GLOW:

I'm looking at you. One second, I think, 'Fuck yeah, she's hot.' And then the next second, I'm like, 'I don't know. Is she? Really?' I mean, you just have one of those faces that kind of... changes. Like, 'Ehh... Hmm.' I don't know.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Bulletproof

https://www.imdb.com/find?q=bulletproof&ref_=nv_sr_sm

Two criminals, Keats and Moses, end their friendship, when Keats turns out to be an undercover cop. Months later, the two are forced to work together when Keats is assigned to protect Moses as a witness.

For a long time, this movie was my favorite ever. It's action-comedy done to perfection. Adam Sandler at his best, Damon Wayans at his best, thrown together and create an absolute gem. This movie will never get old for me.

10/10.

Wahesh

Reaction score
3 From Hell

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8134742/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

After barely surviving a brutal police shootout, the demented Firefly clan unleash a whole new wave of murder, madness and mayhem.

This movie is the sequel to The Devil's Rejects (from 2005). Same actors, even Sid Haig who died a few days after the films release. All I can say is that it these psychopaths were here in real life, they would've been executed before arriving in Mexico. While on that, the fact that they made a Mexican death cartel look like children in the way they took them out was absolutely insulting. The cinematics can be respected, but the storyline was freaking shit.

I do NOT recommend this shit to anyone... I only watched it so Netflix would stop recommending it to me.

2/10.

Last edited:

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
8e21c56946e40d8684feaf044a7ef2c2.jpg

The life of white-collar New Yorker Peter (Nicolas Cage) seems to revolve solely around making as much money and sleeping with as many women as possible. After a typical night of scouring trendy bars for some action, Peter manages to take home the sexy Rachel (Jennifer Beals), who bites him on the neck while they're in bed. The next day, Peter is certain he is now a vampire. Though no one shares his point of view and he hasn't changed physically, he dons fake fangs and begins stalking women.

This is it, the movie that spawned "that"meme and introduced the world to the nic cage we all know and love. Here he gives a performance that is perfect for his character (and one of the stand outs of his career imo)
A very funny black comedy touching on some deep underlining issues about loneliness and lack of fulfilment and a desperate bid to emotionally connect with something. Had this been played straight it wouldn't had worked nearly as well, but I found the tone the director went for was perfect.

4/5

Wahesh

Reaction score
View attachment 13152

The life of white-collar New Yorker Peter (Nicolas Cage) seems to revolve solely around making as much money and sleeping with as many women as possible. After a typical night of scouring trendy bars for some action, Peter manages to take home the sexy Rachel (Jennifer Beals), who bites him on the neck while they're in bed. The next day, Peter is certain he is now a vampire. Though no one shares his point of view and he hasn't changed physically, he dons fake fangs and begins stalking women.

This is it, the movie that spawned "that"meme and introduced the world to the nic cage we all know and love. Here he gives a performance that is perfect for his character (and one of the stand outs of his career imo)
A very funny black comedy touching on some deep underlining issues about loneliness and lack of fulfilment and a desperate bid to emotionally connect with something. Had this been played straight it wouldn't had worked nearly as well, but I found the tone the director went for was perfect.

4/5
You and I seem to be watching a lot of Nick's movies as of late. This one seems pretty randomly funny lol. Is this the meme you're referring to?