News Adam Elliott backs young Bulldogs Jake Averillo and Renouf To’omaga to have breakout 2020 seasons

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I also wouldn't necessarily say Meaney has a spot locked down. Only reason that may be is because he can goal kick. You could always have 1 DWZ 2 Smith 3 Hoppa 4 Averillo (GK) 5 Okunbor.
Pay shouldn't be worried about the backlash of fans in his decisions. He should be worried about how his decisions will impact results on the field. Personally and I know I can't speak on behalf of the entire fan base, I would have less of an issue coming 16th if he bled some of the talent such as Topine, Doorey, Wakeham, Averillo, BBO, Tass, etc. instead of sticking with a conservative team to come 12th which is the highest we will place if he persists with mediocrity.
I just don't buy this "conservative" spiel. Playing Smith on the wing would be "conservative", playing him at centre is taking a chance. Playing Holland at centre would be "conservative", replacing him with an NRL level winger (refer Smith example) or a centre with only couple of NRL games (say, Harper) is hardly conservative. Playing a winger with only a handful of NRL games (say, Okunbor) is hardly conservative.

Perhaps we should wait until the team for Round 1 is announced then we can come back to what is conservative and what isn't. Right now in a 5 person backline no matter who is picked only 2 could remotely be considered conservative, being Hopoate and DWZ.

FWIW the only thing a coach should "be worried about" is winning games, everything else falls into place when that is accomplished.

Go Dogs

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Someone who hasn't came close to having a breakout season having an opinion / placing expectations on younger players... Yep well done Elliot

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I also wouldn't necessarily say Meaney has a spot locked down. Only reason that may be is because he can goal kick. You could always have 1 DWZ 2 Smith 3 Hoppa 4 Averillo (GK) 5 Okunbor.

Pay shouldn't be worried about the backlash of fans in his decisions. He should be worried about how his decisions will impact results on the field. Personally and I know I can't speak on behalf of the entire fan base, I would have less of an issue coming 16th if he bled some of the talent such as Topine, Doorey, Wakeham, Averillo, BBO, Tass, etc. instead of sticking with a conservative team to come 12th which is the highest we will place if he persists with mediocrity.
To be honest with you Kap, the ‘conservative’ approach to selections is a bit of a myth cooked up by a vocal minority of fans. I don’t think there’s been a single member of our Top 30 in the past 2 seasons aside from Zac Saddler who hasn’t been given a crack at some point.

With that said - I’m sure a number of those names you’ve listed above will get a chance in first grade this year. Wakeham, Averillo, Tass in particular.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Wouldn’t drop hoppa for anyone. We need him!

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I want this kid at FB shifting dwz to a wing. Considering his good in the halves he sounds like a modern day FB.. it's an early and big call but we shall see if I got a point In a few hrs.
I won’t be reading too much into Nines form. Completely different ball game. A mediocre player can flourish in Nines footy as long as they’ve got a bit of toe.

Though if he tears them apart in a proper trial then Deano may be forced into giving him a shot in Round 1

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah let’s toss our 2019 Peponis Medal winner in reserve grade for Round 1 of 2020
Personally never rated him since Manly days, never recaptured his form before praying for two years and have never forgotten when he refused to play on Sunday. Should have pissed him off at that stage.

Its not liked we've had major success with him in the team, plus I suspect he is on big money which could be better spent elsewhere.

I'm a big fan of Okunbor and want him back in FG on the wing hence Smith to centre with young gun Averillo.

Then Hoppa may get the shits and leave before 30 June.

But hey lets stick to the same old selections and not try something different to change our fortunes around.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I won’t be reading too much into Nines form. Completely different ball game. A mediocre player can flourish in Nines footy as long as they’ve got a bit of toe.

Though if he tears them apart in a proper trial then Deano may be forced into giving him a shot in Round 1
Your not wrong though one can still see potential in any form of the game. I'm not necessarily calling for it right away but more so in the NRL down the line, maybe a year or so.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Personally never rated him since Manly days, never recaptured his form before praying for two years and have never forgotten when he refused to play on Sunday. Should have pissed him off at that stage.

Its not liked we've had major success with him in the team, plus I suspect he is on big money which could be better spent elsewhere.

I'm a big fan of Okunbor and want him back in FG on the wing hence Smith to centre with young gun Averillo.

Then Hoppa may get the shits and leave before 30 June.

But hey lets stick to the same old selections and not try something different to change our fortunes around.
Hoppa isn't the prettiest player but his a footballer and a leader... You definitely need these guys around, especially at this stage of the rebuild.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hoppa isn't the prettiest player but his a footballer and a leader... You definitely need these guys around, especially at this stage of the rebuild.
Their all footballers and as for the rebuild I’m not seeing it or maybe I’m one of those old bastards who thinks he knows best.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Their all footballers and as for the rebuild I’m not seeing it or maybe I’m one of those old bastards who thinks he knows best.
You senile old man... :tonguewink: Dogs will come good, I'm predicting 2022 onwards and will be back to the force we once were. Right now its more about patience than anything, enjoying the theatre of some young guns coming through and watching the club mould a cracker team.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You senile old man... :tonguewink: Dogs will come good, I'm predicting 2022 onwards and will be back to the force we once were. Right now its more about patience than anything, enjoying the theatre of some young guns coming through and watching the club mould a cracker team.
Who r the Dogs?

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't think so, if we finish 9th Pay most likely keeps his job, whereas if we finish 16th TK will be bombarded with "sack him" posts. Plus many otherwise worthwhile players will get swept up in the purge.

Plainly it's not the same.

Go Dogs
If we finish 14-16 is pays dick still in your mouth?

I do agree 9th he keeps his job

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
If we finish 14-16 is pays dick still in your mouth?
I do agree 9th he keeps his job
Another one who can’t discuss the topic and just resorts to personal insults.

Go Dogs

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Oh look Elliot being the media whore again
Fuck me, you really love to give it to this guy dont you. Do you all honestly think that he goes searching for reporters just to talk? It's obvious the club recognizes hi as a good representative of the club, and make him do these interviews. But sure, kick him in the guts all the same.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’d leave Reimis on the wing and hand a debut to young Averillo at centre
That means Okunbour misses out. Personally, ge is a must. If he gets tha handling errors out of his game he will be a weapon!!