News Adam Elliott backs young Bulldogs Jake Averillo and Renouf To’omaga to have breakout 2020 seasons

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bulldogs forward Adam Elliott has tipped a posse of young pups to lock down positions in the club’s NRL side this year.

During what has been a gruelling pre-season for Canterbury, Elliott has been blown away by the energy and natural skill of 19-year-old outside back Jake Averillo.

“He’s run a muck in the training sessions, he’s obviously been in the reserve grade side for us, he’s a young centre coming through great footwork really strong,” Elliott said.

The Bulldogs junior stormed through SG Ball, Jersey Flegg and the Canterbury Cup, and Elliott believes that it’s a matter of time before Averillo is playing full time with the big boys.

“He’s one of those really aggressive competitive kids, he doesn’t let anyone get it over him at training, from my experience those sort of kids they definitely make it and I think Jakey’s going to have a really good season” Elliott said.

With injury-prone Kieran Foran still recovering from shoulder surgery, it’s highly likely that either Brandon Wakeham or Jack Cogger will partner up with Lachlan Lewis in the halves this season.

Both young playmakers are expected to audition for the spot this weekend at the NRL Nines tournament in Perth.

“At the moment, there’s really healthy competition, they’re both subbing in and out for each other at training at the moment,” Elliott said.

“Both are good young enthusiastic kids, they’ll make the most of any opportunities they get, it’ll come down to trial form as to who the coach goes with at the moment.”

Elliott also had big raps for front rower Renouf To’omaga, who has struggled to cement his position in first grade due to a foot injury last year.

“He’s certainly someone who will play a lot of first grade this year, he’s already played a few games,” Elliott said.

“He’s played a lot of reserve grade the last few years, and he’s a superstar down there, he plays in the middle but scores 10-15 tries each season and he’s had a really good pre-season under his belt this year.”

Dean Pay has shifted his backline this summer, with the club’s leading try-score from last season Reimis Smith switching from the wing to centre.

Elliott admitted that his side will have to get used to playing without Smith tearing down the edge.

“It might be a little adjustment for us to get used to, Reimis is always the first person you look for to take a carry out of our yardage, he’s renowned for a quick play the ball and makes good metres up the middle of the field for us,” Elliott said.

“Now he’s in the centre he might have to hold a bit more shape and take a few less carries. But I think that it’d be silly for us to try and tell him to stay in the one spot.”

Elliott said that the Dogs are quietly confident this year after their brave finish to the 2019 season.

The second-rower picked up a small ankle injury last week that ruled him out of the NRL’s Indigenous v All Stars match on February 22, he is expects to be ready to rumble for round 1.

“I think our try line defence and scramble defence is something that we’re building our game off and I think that’s something to take into 2020,” Elliott said.

“We finished in the bottom 8 last year, but went on a run and beat top four tides in the last 10 games. If you’re on your day and someone’s slightly off, it’s anyone’s game.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/9275c84e9d7d9b3f4ab2950024ff3855

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Renouf is 25 this year he really has to make a impact or he never will. His end to last season was very promising lets hope it continues.

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think Pay will take the approach that he will take with Cogger/Wakeham and be conservative round 1. Pick Hoppa and Reimis in the centres and if that doesn't work bring in Averillo or potentially Harper.

The issue that we've seen is when he bleeds these youngsters they get results however, towards the back-end of the season and its too late.

We need to take risks this year because quite frankly I would prefer to come last and know who is worth investing money, time and effort into for 2021 than finish an unsatisfying 12th playing a "conservative team".

It's the same result whether you come 9th or 16th.... take the risks and bleed the talent!

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol if it was any person other than Elliot making these comments the Kennel would be in a circle jerk

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would exciting if we had a big dominating back come through..Hopefully Averillo is that

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I would put Reimis at Centre simply to get Okunbor on the wing. Only guy in the backline apart form maybe DWZ that can break the line by himself.
Breaking tackles is cool but what’s even cooler is being able to catch the football, and read defence. The latter is a worry with Okunbor. I like what he can do with ball in hand (assuming he catches it first), but from what I’ve seen he coughs up more points than what he produces.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It's the same result whether you come 9th or 16th.... take the risks and bleed the talent!
I don't think so, if we finish 9th Pay most likely keeps his job, whereas if we finish 16th TK will be bombarded with "sack him" posts. Plus many otherwise worthwhile players will get swept up in the purge.

Plainly it's not the same.

Go Dogs

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Breaking tackles is cool but what’s even cooler is being able to catch the football, and read defence. The latter is a worry with Okunbor. I like what he can do with ball in hand (assuming he catches it first), but from what I’ve seen he coughs up more points than what he produces.
I also wouldn't necessarily say Meaney has a spot locked down. Only reason that may be is because he can goal kick. You could always have 1 DWZ 2 Smith 3 Hoppa 4 Averillo (GK) 5 Okunbor.

Pay shouldn't be worried about the backlash of fans in his decisions. He should be worried about how his decisions will impact results on the field. Personally and I know I can't speak on behalf of the entire fan base, I would have less of an issue coming 16th if he bled some of the talent such as Topine, Doorey, Wakeham, Averillo, BBO, Tass, etc. instead of sticking with a conservative team to come 12th which is the highest we will place if he persists with mediocrity.