News From ball boy to the NRL: This Bulldog’s blood is as blue as they come

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I was born in Canterbury hospital (which is just up the road from Belmore Sports Ground) - Wakeham was born in Kogarah. He ain't as blue as me!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
That article was a pretty good read. It's nice to hear that he's got that deeply ingrained passion for the club. And I hope that when he gets a regular chance to claim a spot in the top 17 that he's ready because the fans can be pretty harsh if he doesn't instantly live up to the hype. That's part of the reason I won't be upset if he isn't part of our halves combination in round 1. He's still a rookie and it might be beneficial for him to get the chance to get into form before being thrown in the deep end.
Agree 79 but he is 21 already so its not as though he is a teenager. The club must back him.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My thinking re Cogger - what sorta ceiling do we think he has? I mean I hope for his own sake that he can be great.. but I just worry that he doesn't have the right attributes for that.. no X Factor, doesn't do things at pace, not a great kicking game.. you can't just be a reliable player and taste real success
I look at halves as traditionally fitting into two moulds. You have those that are primarily organisers who might not always look sensational, and your running halves that tend to look exciting. For some there is overlap.

Cronk is the best example of the organising half in recent years. He could still make some decent runs when he saw the chance there but his strength was in helping others to exploit chances. I see Cogger as being closer to this type of half. His short kicking game is pretty decent given that our pack wasn't dominating. We'd been missing that for a long while. His ceiling gets higher if our forwards are applying pressure. A good organising half will typically provide repeat sets with their short kicking game if their pack can get them in a position to do so. Given that this was Sherwins strength I hope that he's instilled this ability in Cogger, Lewis and Wakeham.

I honestly don't care who winds up as our starting halves combination as long as they're in form.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That’s beautiful, and we can enjoy him while we have him, but don’t get attached to these blokes. Heard it ALL before from SBW, Mason, Barba etc....
Just get out there and rip in kid

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Every NRL debut is special and every player has a story of how they got there.

Brandon Wakeham is eyeing off the spot left vacant in the Bulldogs starting side by injured playmaker Kieran Foran.
Brandon

Some stories are heart-wrenching as young players have to overcome hardships and other stories are heartwarming.

Brandon Wakeham’s story is the latter.

The 21-year-old made his NRL debut for the Bulldogs last season and is now in the race to lock down a regular halves spot in the injured Kieran Foran’s absence.

But before he became a professional NRL player, this rising star was a Bulldogs superfan and he was a ball boy during the club’s strongest season since their premiership-winning 2004 season.

“I was the ball boy when I was younger. My older brother did it first and then I did it for a bit. I think 2012 was my last year, I was the ball boy at the grand final. They lost but it was still a pretty good experience to be on the sideline,” Wakeham told foxsports.com.au.

“The grand final was crazy and that was when Ben Barba had his freakish year as well so almost every week I watched him from the sideline.”

One of 10 siblings, Wakeham’s entire family are Bulldogs supporters. The blue and white runs so deep in their blood that Wakeham didn’t get to choose who he would support.

“It wasn’t an option in my family to support a different team.

“I was born into it, everyone in my family is a diehard Bulldogs fan and growing up in the area as well I didn’t want to support anyone else anyway.”

The Chester Hill junior has experienced things only the diehards and locals have like the iconic Burwood Road, Belmore covered in blue and white when the Bulldogs are in the finals.

A 10-year-old Brand Wakeham in his Chester Hill Hornets Division colours.

“I went down Burwood Road in 2014 a few times in the grand final week. It’s crazy how they shut down the street.

“The amount of supporters the Bulldogs have is crazy. We need to get back to our winning ways so the supporters come out and cheer for us.”

Wakeham has only three NRL games under his belt but his name has become more recognisable since landing a Golden Boot nomination after impressive performances in all three of Fiji Bati’s Test matches last year.

The likes of Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Damien Cook, Payne Haas and John Batemen were also nominated but ultimately Tuivasa-Sheck won the prestigious award.

A Golden Boot nomination is something worth boasting about but Wakeham was humble as pie when asked about it.

Brandon Wakeham put on a stellar performance for Fiji in the Test match against Papua New Guinea Kumuls.

“It’s pretty cool but I just like playing I don’t care about getting nominated. I just try to have as much fun as I can and try to get the team over the line to hopefully win – that’s all I care about.”

The proud Fijian was always on Bulldogs coach Dean Pay’s radar but Wakeham believes it was his first game for Fiji that gave him the confidence boost he needed to get his NRL debut.

“Being in the camp I didn’t know what I would get out of it but it made me so much more confident.

“When you go into that camp it’s not like a footy camp it’s sort of like going into a room with 20 of your best mates and just hanging out and having fun on the field come game day.

“I just got confidence out of that and especially being around the senior players in the Fiji team who have done a lot in the NRL they just gave me the confidence I needed to perform.

“I’m happy and stress free when I’m playing in the Fijian jersey and I think that showed after I played the first game. I came back to the Bulldogs with so much confidence and I think that’s what helped me get my first start in NRL.”

Wakeham’s Round 15 debut came as a shock to him and Bulldogs fans.

He was on his way to ANZ Stadium to play in the Canterbury Cup match when he got a phone call from Pay. He was taking Rhyse Martin’s spot on the bench after he was granted a release from his contract and did not play.

Originally he was going to play as a bench utility but when Foran got injured Wakeham was thrown straight into the deep end lining up in the halves right opposite Sharks superstar Shaun Johnson.

“I was just so nervous for the first game, I was honestly scared.

“I was marking up against Shaun Johnson and every time he touched the ball I just thought they were going to score because I was so nervous. But the whole day happened in an instant, it was so quick.”

Wakeham can easily recall how nervous he felt during the three games he played in last season but says the experience has taught him plenty.

“I was so nervous with all three of the games I did take a lot out of them though. There were things that I know now that I need to work on during the game, like little things that have a big impact on a game.”

Growing up Wakeham loved all of the Bulldogs players but he particularly idolised Kieran Foran who he watched rise to stardom playing for Manly.

Fast forward to know and it’s Foran’s spot that Wakeham is pushing to get while the seasoned playmaker recovers from a shoulder injury that could keep him sidelined for the entire 2020 season.

Wakeham is chuffed to be training with his rugby league hero and has a great deal of respect for how he pushes through his injuries.

“It’s pretty cool. Watching him at Manly and how tough he was but seeing him get injured for the last however many years it’s pretty sad to see.

“To see him being injured for so long and the way he turns up to training every day and tries his hardest to get better, try to get himself back on the field even after everything it’s pretty crazy what he does.”

Although nothing has been confirmed yet, Lachie Lewis looks the most likely to take one spot in the halves. The other is a battle between Wakeham and Jack Cogger.

Despite the hunger for that starting spot, Wakeham says there’s no friction between them.

“Nothing is awkward between us. Ever since he’s come to the club he’s really helped me out and I watching how professional he is. We don’t talk about it.

“Me, Jack (Cogger) and Lachie (Lewis) are always trying to help each other out and give each other tips on what we can do better. We’re always kicking after training and doing our extras together.”

Wakeham and Cogger will get a chance to show Pay what they can do in this weekend’s NRL Nines tournament.

Pay hasn’t given any indication to Wakeham on whether there’s a spot for him in the first grade squad but he has encouraged him to continue working hard and use the upcoming trial games as an audition.

“(Dean Pay) just told me to keep training hard, keep trying to do my best every day and go as hard as I can in the trials because there’s a spot open there.

“Hopefully I get it but if not I’ll just keep trying hard to hopefully get it throughout the year.”

In terms of career goals, Wakeham can already tick off representing his country. Now he has his eyes on becoming a regular first-grader and a Bulldog for life.

“To get a first grade spot and nail my spot there, I want to play first grade consistently and I want to be at the Bulldogs for my entire career because I’ve supported them my whole life.

“It would be weird for me to go to any other club, I can’t see myself being in different colours. When I play with the Bulldogs I hate every other team so to go elsewhere and play the Bulldogs it would be weird.”
Cheers for posting this. Such a good read!! Love this kid. Hope he succeeds!!!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree 79 but he is 21 already so its not as though he is a teenager. The club must back him.
I'm not sure who will get the chance to start the season. I'd probably lean towards Cogger, but I don't care if Wakeham is there. It's just good to have competition for the spots. It's been a long while since we've been in this situation. Hopefully all three candidates for the two positions stand out enough when they get chances that this debate is still happening at the end of the season. Ideally the one I want to be under the most pressure to fight for a halves spot is Foran. If we're in a situation where we don't have to rush him into the 17 it means that at least 2 of our halves are killing it.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Right now we are blessed with a good cross section of halves with quite disparate abilities, as well as physiques. I'm really looking forward to this season to see which of them kicks on and cements an NRL role for the years to come. It's right there for them to take it, in both hands, they just have to step up and show that they are worthy.

Go Dogs

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Interesting that the moment Martin left Pay calls this kid and gives him the vacant bench spot. Clearly therefore Pay has been watching him, and has a strategy for bringing him into first grade.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just hope he plays in the halves all year either in CCup or NRL. He isn't a hooker and it will just stunt his development being on the bench in NRL.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My thinking re Cogger - what sorta ceiling do we think he has? I mean I hope for his own sake that he can be great.. but I just worry that he doesn't have the right attributes for that.. no X Factor, doesn't do things at pace, not a great kicking game.. you can't just be a reliable player and taste real success
Cogger's no Alfie, which is about the best a player of his size and speed could be (Baa was more solid and faster). He's more of an Adam Reynolds / Aiden Seizer sort of player, but with less pace. Both were better at Cogger's age. especially Reynolds. I thought he'd do more with his opportunities last year but he's young so could still make a solid first grader. This year is important for his career.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I look at halves as traditionally fitting into two moulds. You have those that are primarily organisers who might not always look sensational, and your running halves that tend to look exciting. For some there is overlap.

Cronk is the best example of the organising half in recent years. He could still make some decent runs when he saw the chance there but his strength was in helping others to exploit chances. I see Cogger as being closer to this type of half. His short kicking game is pretty decent given that our pack wasn't dominating. We'd been missing that for a long while. His ceiling gets higher if our forwards are applying pressure. A good organising half will typically provide repeat sets with their short kicking game if their pack can get them in a position to do so. Given that this was Sherwins strength I hope that he's instilled this ability in Cogger, Lewis and Wakeham.

I honestly don't care who winds up as our starting halves combination as long as they're in form.
Cogger's no Alfie, which is about the best a player of his size and speed could be (Baa was more solid and faster). He's more of an Adam Reynolds / Aiden Seizer sort of player, but with less pace. Both were better at Cogger's age. especially Reynolds. I thought he'd do more with his opportunities last year but he's young so could still make a solid first grader. This year is important for his career.

fair points on both... I definitely haven't given up hope on him myself, as it was his first full season last year and he did improve and like Alan said, didn't have much to work with.. I just think think we've been lacking in the creative department for so long that we've got to play Wakeham.. he just seems to see things a bit differently to the other guys we have played in the halves recently... even if Lewis moves to another position and they go with Cogger/Wakeham

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They are trying very hard and as I’ve said before they aim to send a dozen weekly reports to the media. I’m glad we are getting positive media attention now
A dozen! I don't mind this strategy, it beats sitting back whinging about how unfair and biased the media is, which feels good for the moment, but achieves nothing.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
A dozen! I don't mind this strategy, it beats sitting back whinging about how unfair and biased the media is, which feels good for the moment, but achieves nothing.
I don't agree with "it achieves nothing", one of the measures sponsors, advertisers and potentials look at is how much media coverage a team gets. It's doesn't matter whether it FTA TV, Pay TV radio, newspapers, online or other social media. Every time they see potential for their name to be mentioned of their logo shown makes us more attractive to them. So the more media attention we can generate the more attractive we look the higher chance there is of landing a major sponsor plus retaining the ones we already have for longer and for money money. Fans want results, but sponsors want value for their money in brand recognition.

Go Dogs

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Exactly right. It gives them more to choose from and less need to make shit up to fill pages

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't agree with "it achieves nothing", one of the measures sponsors, advertisers and potentials look at is how much media coverage a team gets. It's doesn't matter whether it FTA TV, Pay TV radio, newspapers, online or other social media. Every time they see potential for their name to be mentioned of their logo shown makes us more attractive to them. So the more media attention we can generate the more attractive we look the higher chance there is of landing a major sponsor plus retaining the ones we already have for longer and for money money. Fans want results, but sponsors want value for their money in brand recognition.

Go Dogs
Sure, its not like negative media attention ever cost us sponsors...

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I would give Lachie and Wakeham the early run and if Lachie can't keep up then try a Wakeham/Cogger combo. Wakeham is our only natural half that I can see and I think Lachie is destined for Lock, like a Travis Norton mould. Good article.

Last edited:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Wakeham half and Lewis 5/8. Should be done and dusted. Cogger can be back up on the bench.
I'm a Cogger fan, but yes if Lewis is going to start he has to be the 6... None of this halfback shit being tossed around