Elliott the strongest at the Dogs (according to Lewis)

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bad news everybody! Elliott has gotten an ankle injury during an opposed session and will miss the All stars game and trials. Even worse news, he should be right for round one.
I reckon pays told him to fake an injury to rest his star player for game 1 lol

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Elliot is average. Tries hard and all the rest but if everyone is being honest, they know he's average.

If he could get all those idiotic errors out of his game he would be bearable.
The last few games of the season he was just that... If he continues that form and just comes on and plays that simple footy then he will extremely valuable off the bench.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The last few games of the season he was just that... If he continues that form and just comes on and plays that simple footy then he will extremely valuable off the bench.
Ive said this a few times pay fucked him by starting him he was shit but killed it off the bench thats his go

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good work Adam. Good upper body strength is great for pushing off defenders. Lets hope the Coach notices your good work ethic for a change and you get more game time...lol

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
lol I don’t think you can blame Elliott for how the team has been going.
He’s in the leadership group and a senior player so he should be held responsible for the last few seasons.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
He’s in the leadership group and a senior player so he should be held responsible for the last few seasons.
Come on, dude.... that’s fucking ridiculous.

We’ve had one of if not the most inexperienced rosters in the comp, players like Foran taking up huge amount of cap space and never being fit, the most inexperienced spine in the comp.... bit sure, blame Elliott.... lol

I suppose you blame Jacko and Hoppa too?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Come on, dude.... that’s fucking ridiculous.

We’ve had one of if not the most inexperienced rosters in the comp, players like Foran taking up huge amount of cap space and never being fit, the most inexperienced spine in the comp.... bit sure, blame Elliott.... lol

I suppose you blame Jacko and Hoppa too?
Everyone in the leadership group should be more accountable then the other players. They are the ones that set the standards for rest of the playing group. I’m not saying they are 100% responsible for the last few seasons but they have played their part.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So the best example you have is 2 years old, really ............

Go Dogs
Who cares how old it is? It's an example of the stupidest penalty given away, the most idiotic dumb play I've seen from a football player.

If you like we can also point to last season where he ran with the ball over the touch line

Or how about Tyson frizzel standing (no momentum) with the ball in one arm, with elliot holding onto him and frizzel pushes him away WITH ONE ARM!!!!!

Dude, did Elliott give you a wedgie in a past life or something, you seem to really have it in for him. I enjoy a bit of banter around Elliott, and it can be handy to have something soft to chuck at the TV on occasion when he has a brain snap, but he is a wholehearted player, the team often seems to lift when he gets onto the field. He is often the player leading the team in defense, he helps our defensive line speed. Yes he absolutely hits some good runs on the back of some momentum in attack, but isn't that what a decent forward is supposed to do, have a bit of game awareness and line up ready for a quick play the ball to run hard at a defense already on its heels?
He helps our line speed? He rushes up out of the line and on 99% of occasions the player with the ball steps him and Elliot is caught in no mans land. At least when CHN rushes out of the line he makes contact with the player with the ball. And pay had CHN work on his tackling in reserves ffs

As far as making runs when the team's got momentum, thats the ONLY positive thing he does. We can get any of our Canterbury cup forwards to do the same thing.

Its infuriating to see such a limited player picked ahead of more talented players. RFM, CHN, to'omaga are all heaps more talented than elliot and yet we've always seen Elliot given first preferences over 3 players who can contribute a hell of a lot more than elliot does.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Who cares how old it is? It's an example of the stupidest penalty given away, the most idiotic dumb play I've seen from a football player.

If you like we can also point to last season where he ran with the ball over the touch line

Or how about Tyson frizzel standing (no momentum) with the ball in one arm, with elliot holding onto him and frizzel pushes him away WITH ONE ARM!!!!!

He helps our line speed? He rushes up out of the line and on 99% of occasions the player with the ball steps him and Elliot is caught in no mans land. At least when CHN rushes out of the line he makes contact with the player with the ball. And pay had CHN work on his tackling in reserves ffs

As far as making runs when the team's got momentum, thats the ONLY positive thing he does. We can get any of our Canterbury cup forwards to do the same thing.

Its infuriating to see such a limited player picked ahead of more talented players. RFM, CHN, to'omaga are all heaps more talented than elliot and yet we've always seen Elliot given first preferences over 3 players who can contribute a hell of a lot more than elliot does.
I'm prepared to go along with the "judge him by his performance in the first 6 games or so" camo but what you are pointing out is true and can't really be denied by those prepared to defend Elliott.

He tries hard. Seems a competitive character and loves playing for his mates and club.

But if he is taking the spot of a more talented or promising forward this year then Pay's got it wrong and it's not in the team's best interests.

Up to Elliott to perform and offer more than unco hit ups and it's up to those forwards who want his spot to make their genuine claim.

Then it's up to Pay to pick the best 17 and keep his job.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm prepared to go along with the "judge him by his performance in the first 6 games or so" camo but what you are pointing out is true and can't really be denied by those prepared to defend Elliott.

He tries hard. Seems a competitive character and loves playing for his mates and club.

But if he is taking the spot of a more talented or promising forward this year then Pay's got it wrong and it's not in the team's best interests.

Up to Elliott to perform and offer more than unco hit ups and it's up to those forwards who want his spot to make their genuine claim.

Then it's up to Pay to pick the best 17 and keep his job.
Hes got a high missed tackle, ineffective tackle count.

His average run meters are pathetic

His dropped ball stats are numerous

His penalties conceded are numerous

I mean its all there in black and white. The only thing not captured by those stats is how a majority of those mistakes are momentum changing mistakes

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

I mean its all there in black and white. The only thing not captured by those stats is how a majority of those mistakes are momentum changing mistakes
Do you have the stats for the team last season? I’m interested to see them

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
;
I like that you bothered to list your reasons but I found it strange that you left out the data that actually supports those reasons. Let's test a few (source; https://www.nrl.com/players/?team=500010 )
Run metres last season average per game CHN 80, RFM 82, Elliott 104, Jackson 103 doesn't look that pathetic to me.
Tackle Efficiency, Jackson 89%, Elliott 86%, CHN 82%, RFM 89% again in comparison to his peers not all that pathetic, could be better of course.
Missed tackles, CHN 106, Napa 76, Jackson 59, Elliot 55, JMK 53 again not all that pathetic.
As a team in the error stakes we are pretty good, DWZ is the worst at 21, which is less than 1 per game, so hardly terrible and he's ranked 40th in the NRL. No other Bulldogs player including Elliott makes it into the top 50.
Penalties conceded, Tolman is a worst at 15, 29th in the NRL, hardly terrible, then JMK at 14, 42nd in the NRL. No other Bulldogs player including Elliott makes it into the top 50.

Sorry, but it seems that the data shows that it's actually not "there in black and white".

Go Dogs

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Yes he is a player that it's easy to pick up on his mistakes on the field.

I'm not sure he makes more than any other forward to be fair but I do reckon he is fairly ineffective during his time on the field.

Have seen him have a few outstanding games but that's over hus career with us. It's really not enough.

Who knows this year though, as we've seen a few similar type players have a purple patch with us in the past. Hopefully Elliott does this year.

He def should not be re-signed for even a 1 year extn unless he goes very well and that would allow the younger guys to be brought through to take his place.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
;
I like that you bothered to list your reasons but I found it strange that you left out the data that actually supports those reasons. Let's test a few (source; https://www.nrl.com/players/?team=500010 )
Run metres last season average per game CHN 80, RFM 82, Elliott 104, Jackson 103 doesn't look that pathetic to me.
Tackle Efficiency, Jackson 89%, Elliott 86%, CHN 82%, RFM 89% again in comparison to his peers not all that pathetic, could be better of course.
Missed tackles, CHN 106, Napa 76, Jackson 59, Elliot 55, JMK 53 again not all that pathetic.
As a team in the error stakes we are pretty good, DWZ is the worst at 21, which is less than 1 per game, so hardly terrible and he's ranked 40th in the NRL. No other Bulldogs player including Elliott makes it into the top 50.
Penalties conceded, Tolman is a worst at 15, 29th in the NRL, hardly terrible, then JMK at 14, 42nd in the NRL. No other Bulldogs player including Elliott makes it into the top 50.

Sorry, but it seems that the data shows that it's actually not "there in black and white".

Go Dogs
I suspected that would be the case haha thanks mate

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
;

Go Dogs
Id be looking at the averages per game, the only exception to that would hit ups which I'd look at average metres per hit up not per game.

How about when the season starts we keep an adam elliot performance thread.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
;

Go Dogs
Hey, whoa, ease up big fella, actual data isn't permissible, let alone facts! What are you thinking? It interferes with all the delicious cognitive bias going on, what are you trying to do here? Don't you know how hard it is to change paradigms without a clutch?

In any case, an escape route has already been built in to the argument, did you not notice? Sure Elliott doesn't have as many errors or penalties as cognitive bias would have some of us remember (hundreds, if not thousands of them), but what REALLY matters, is that the few errors and penalties he has made are MOMENTUM killers. See, that's something that you can't see in the stats, stats don't tell the whole story, in fact stats really, when you get right down to it, well, they're kind of meaningless.

So us who are biased against Elliott, we reject your stats and substitute our own reality.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hey, whoa, ease up big fella, actual data isn't permissible, let alone facts! What are you thinking? It interferes with all the delicious cognitive bias going on, what are you trying to do here? Don't you know how hard it is to change paradigms without a clutch?

In any case, an escape route has already been built in to the argument, did you not notice? Sure Elliott doesn't have as many errors or penalties as cognitive bias would have some of us remember (hundreds, if not thousands of them), but what REALLY matters, is that the few errors and penalties he has made are MOMENTUM killers. See, that's something that you can't see in the stats, stats don't tell the whole story, in fact stats really, when you get right down to it, well, they're kind of meaningless.

So us who are biased against Elliott, we reject your stats and substitute our own reality.
It's a bit harsh that people will use stats as proof that players have merit. If the haters were dedicated enough they could go and assemble a lowlights package like the one made about Darius Boyd last year. But that requires a bit more effort than merely venting. And effort isn't valued by his haters or they'd possibly recognise that Elliott provides a high effort to error ratio.

If I was paying someone's wages I'd prefer they made mistakes because they were trying, than for them to remain error free because they weren't.