Addo Carr

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You were saying we signed them AFTER though and I’m just letting you know that’s why we didn’t have as much spare cash as you thought because we signed them BEFORE
No it's the opposite. If we signed them after the rumours it'd be what you're saying... we signed Katoa after we missed out on Koroisau. I thought Britt was around the same time as the rumours but if it's before even better. What I said was at the time of the Ramien, Koroisau and Ese'ese rumours it's very likely we had at least 900k as that's what it'd of taken to sign Koroisau and Ramien (if we're getting them for what they're worth - we couldn't because other clubs were interested). After Katoa signing that amount goes to about 700k and if we count Britt's money (you're saying it was before the rumours so I wouldn't) it'd be 500k. We were also rumoured with signing Leilua after this on 500-600k... At some stage there was definitely enough money to offer Latrell (or another similar player) enough money for 2020. That's not even including the Foran money.

Last edited:

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
No it's the opposite. If we signed them after the rumours it'd be what you're saying... we signed Katoa after we missed out on Koroisau. I thought Britt was around the same time as the rumours but if it's before even better. What I said was at the time of the Ramien, Koroisau and Ese'ese rumours it's very likely we had at least 900k as that's what it'd of taken to sign Koroisau and Ramien (if we're getting them for what they're worth - we couldn't because other clubs were interested). After Katoa signing that amount goes to about 700k and if we count Britt's money (you're saying it was before the rumours so I wouldn't) it'd be 500k. We were also rumoured with signing Leilua after this on 500-600k... At some stage there was definitely enough money to offer Latrell (or another similar player) enough money for 2020. That's not even including the Foran money.
Well we signed none of them and only Katoa as a replacement so the “rumours” didn’t amount to much did they? If that doesn’t tell you something about the small amount of money we had compared to what the Latrell & JAC were after I don’t know what will. As I said, stay tuned. We are boring everyone and have made our points

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lots of JAC discussion and a lot of it is fragmented.
JAC is a magnificent athlete and one of the elite wingers in the game.
However, I question the need to pay massive money for a winger, when we need a centre.
I hope Reimis Smith stands up and plays well. But there is no real backup if he doesnt.
I dont rate Harper highly, and think we should be checking the horizon for an elite centre.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
However, I question the need to pay massive money for a winger, when we need a centre.
I hope Reimis Smith stands up and plays well. But there is no real backup if he doesnt.
I dont rate Harper highly, and think we should be checking the horizon for an elite centre.
Yes about the point you make about centre .. but the fox is a winger that can flip a loss to a win. And with his try scoring ability and xfactor (yes that word again) he is something we do need. Would be a better than great pick up.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Reimis is going to try and turn into a centre this year. If it doesn't work he can move back to the wing. Regardless where Reimis plays we're short one to two backs (Reimis gives us some flexibility). When I say short I mean good enough for NRL when compared to the rest of the competition. It's a big year for Meaney and Okunbor and it's in their hands. As it stands I believe it's what I said earlier tho. For center position there isn't much available coming off contract (Bird, Cotric, Suli, Olam, Latrell) and most of them seem very unlikely. We're going to be hoping we can get one still on contract for 2021 (I haven't really looked to see if there's any that's an upgrade).

Last edited:

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I think Brady’s comment has some valid points besides the crap he cops.

Dean himself went on about 2/3 for Raimen, Herman and api.

We know how it panned out so no point going on about it. Though unless we heavily undervalued or worse over estimated what we are able to do in the market, we clearly had some good coin and 2 of them surely covered that kind of money. Hell I dare say korisau got at least 75% of what latrell ended up taking

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think Brady’s comment has some valid points besides the crap he cops.

Dean himself went on about 2/3 for Raimen, Herman and api.

We know how it panned out so no point going on about it. Though unless we heavily undervalued or worse over estimated what we are able to do in the market, we clearly had some good coin and 2 of them surely covered that kind of money. Hell I dare say korisau got at least 75% of what latrell ended up taking
Maybe 2/3 at the money we were hoping to get them on which clearly didn’t come to fruition. It’s no point worrying about what they ended up getting because it was clearly more than we offered or could offer

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
We weren’t in a position to get JAC at his asking price for this year as many said on here months ago and as it turns out he’s not leaving Melbourne yet anyway. 2021 may be a different kettle of fish. The role of wingers has changed so much but he’d need to see the ball enough to justify that price tag. Please don’t reply Brady, I’m having a good day :grinning:
What about halfway through the year as Melbourne have paid half his salary by then? ;)

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The question is NOT whether we should pay massive for a winger like JAC. The question is whether Remis is a good enough centre to pay big for a winger. If, and that's a BIG if, Remis is seen as strong enough in the centres then I don't see an issue at all with going after JAC with all guns blazing.

However, considering that he's played very few games at centre if at all?, I think relying on Remis to be the answer is a big risk in itself. Of course, we could buy a winger AND centre, but I would then argue that we need to spend that money elsewhere in particular a half who'd have more impact on the game.

Now, lots of debate over how much to potentially spend on JAC and I personally think the amount is a big deal as it then dictates the type of risk we'd be taking. There's no doubt that JAC is a super talent, but as some have argued to be on the type of money he's apparently asking he'd have to be a pretty good fit. I would focus on the point he'd have no established centre inside of him, and young relatively untested halves directing the play. It's a massive risk to take on him, and one I doubt the club would be willing to take at 700k like some have mentioned.

My 2 cents worth

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Spot on imo

Costa84

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still think we let Latrell slip through our fingers... he was the signing to make.... more so than Thompson

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I still think we let Latrell slip through our fingers... he was the signing to make.... more so than Thompson
We didn't let him slip, the **** kept backflipping more than a gymnast on clubs that we just pulled the pin as not to get caught up in the circus. I think it's more a bullet dodged.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hmmm ...

I think without doubt during this coming year people will be saying "Damn it. We let Latrell slip through our fingers. He's on fire!" He's playing for Souths which unfortunately is a very good team, and he's a really good player. Hell, maybe he'll take them to the premiership, win SOO single handedly, impregnate Gould's wife ... all of these magnificent things.

But none of that means he was or is the right player for our team. Too often we as supporters are looking at the best players on paper instead of the right players for us. For those who spend the time to really look at what they club is doing, what they've been saying etc. etc. it's quite evident that we've got a specific culture that we're trying to grow which I think is vital for any successful business to do.

Most of you will know more than me when it comes to the first team, but judging from all of your comments and the games it's clear that the back end of the season we were quite successful. And a large part of that came from the attitude within the playing group as they really seemed to be playing well together and for each other. In my mind this attitude and togetherness is a key element to our future success and a vital ingredient the club is looking for in future players.

From day one Thompson seemed like a good match in his approach to the game, and more importantly his attitude towards the club. He bought into our ethos, still needed convincing but more on our values than the monetary side (though no doubt that was a factor too!). Because his attitude matched what the club knew would fit in to the playing group, I imagine the club went that extra mile to get him.

Mitchell is incredibly talented. No one is debating that. But, I think it's clear to all and sundry that we walked away from any deal with him even though we were the front runners and had put a lot of effort into attracting him. If he had signed with Souths as a result of us walking away then I'd have more doubts about whether we could've done more but the fact he then went to the Tigers, North Queensland, Titans amongst others before finally deciding on the Rabbitohs tells me different.

He hadn't bought into our ethos. Nor our family values. His arrival would've been disruptive as he was demanding fullback which is one of the few positions we've got covered (we can debate how well another time). DWZ who was our standout last yaer at fullback is then pushed out? He was and still is a key part of the positive synergy within our playing group and we'd damage that?

Personally, I can only see sense in the club walking away as signing him really wasn't worth it. Did we let him slip through our fingers or did we push him out the door? I think the later and agree with the club doing it

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hmmm ...

I think without doubt during this coming year people will be saying "Damn it. We let Latrell slip through our fingers. He's on fire!" He's playing for Souths which unfortunately is a very good team, and he's a really good player. Hell, maybe he'll take them to the premiership, win SOO single handedly, impregnate Gould's wife ... all of these magnificent things.

But none of that means he was or is the right player for our team. Too often we as supporters are looking at the best players on paper instead of the right players for us. For those who spend the time to really look at what they club is doing, what they've been saying etc. etc. it's quite evident that we've got a specific culture that we're trying to grow which I think is vital for any successful business to do.

Most of you will know more than me when it comes to the first team, but judging from all of your comments and the games it's clear that the back end of the season we were quite successful. And a large part of that came from the attitude within the playing group as they really seemed to be playing well together and for each other. In my mind this attitude and togetherness is a key element to our future success and a vital ingredient the club is looking for in future players.

From day one Thompson seemed like a good match in his approach to the game, and more importantly his attitude towards the club. He bought into our ethos, still needed convincing but more on our values than the monetary side (though no doubt that was a factor too!). Because his attitude matched what the club knew would fit in to the playing group, I imagine the club went that extra mile to get him.

Mitchell is incredibly talented. No one is debating that. But, I think it's clear to all and sundry that we walked away from any deal with him even though we were the front runners and had put a lot of effort into attracting him. If he had signed with Souths as a result of us walking away then I'd have more doubts about whether we could've done more but the fact he then went to the Tigers, North Queensland, Titans amongst others before finally deciding on the Rabbitohs tells me different.

He hadn't bought into our ethos. Nor our family values. His arrival would've been disruptive as he was demanding fullback which is one of the few positions we've got covered (we can debate how well another time). DWZ who was our standout last yaer at fullback is then pushed out? He was and still is a key part of the positive synergy within our playing group and we'd damage that?

Personally, I can only see sense in the club walking away as signing him really wasn't worth it. Did we let him slip through our fingers or did we push him out the door? I think the later and agree with the club doing it
At the end of the day, we know minimal to nothing about what went on and the ethos of LM and his training ethics, that he made demands... it's all speculation and rumour. I keep saying it, he is a freakish talent and you dont achieve what he has, and do the things he does, if you are that much of a bad egg... the roosters are just smart... only ever pay overs for 1, 6, 7 or 9. He wanted overs, and is a centre, so they flick him... they have a top 3 spine, so you can do that... same as when Melb let Inglis go. Maybe I will be wrong, but I'm putting money on LM to kill it at souths this year.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
At the end of the day, we know minimal to nothing about what went on and the ethos of LM and his training ethics, that he made demands... it's all speculation and rumour. I keep saying it, he is a freakish talent and you dont achieve what he has, and do the things he does, if you are that much of a bad egg... the roosters are just smart... only ever pay overs for 1, 6, 7 or 9. He wanted overs, and is a centre, so they flick him... they have a top 3 spine, so you can do that... same as when Melb let Inglis go. Maybe I will be wrong, but I'm putting money on LM to kill it at souths this year.
Not sure if you totally followed the point I was trying to make, or I simply wasn't very clear ... which is more likely.

No one is debating whether he's a 'freakish talent', and I think few doubt he'll have a stella year in many ways. Perhaps not to the level that justifies all of the fanfare but still I think simply looking at his talent he'll do well. So, from my side at least, I don't there's any question about his potential nor even his training methods as he's got to this point so whatever he's doing he's doing something right ...

I also am not saying he's a bad egg. Not in the slightest. What I'm saying is that it was clear he didn't buy into our vision or at least didn't want to commit to it. Clearly it wasn't about money, to begin with anyway, when you look at other clubs he knocked back so he made this decision for other reasons.

Now, whatever those reasons were they didn't allign with the Dogs so he wasn't the right player for us. Just because he'll potentially kill it at Souths doesn't mean he would've done the same for the Dogs, nor that he would've fit into our club culture.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Might be more the case the dogs thought he would sign with us for the same $ he did at the bunnies when we aren’t remotely as attractive.

Sad but true.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Might be more the case the dogs thought he would sign with us for the same $ he did at the bunnies when we aren’t remotely as attractive.

Sad but true.
Do you honestly believe he signed with the bunnies for that low of a figure despite it being after he had carried on and burnt bridges?