News Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs to host Canberra Raiders in 2020 NRL pre-season trial in Port Macquari

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Oh FFS, I could probably put up 10/20/30 videos of Tolman being passed the ball when he was not in the line, standing still, running a decoy, or having just made a hit up, played the ball, pushing forward and was then passed it again. With Lichaa thankfully gone and this decreasing noticeably last season, so a lot of the "Tolman on the 4th" is a left over from those days. Let's see how it progresses this season. In the games Foran played last year I noticed a substantial reduction in what I call senseless hit ups, settlers, whatever tackle they were on. If there is someone decent steering the team around the park then Tolman shouldn't be getting the ball on the 4th.

FWIW I played for 13 years, up to third grade until the knees gave out. Which doesn't make me any more or less of a fan than anyone else.

Go Dogs

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Tolman is zero chance of demotion. In the books of most good judges he was in our top 2 or 3 players last year. His value is grossly underestimated on here but there’s good reason why he’s now closing in on 300 games, as opposed to being a reserve grader where the armchair experts on here would play him. If he goes well this year then I’m happy for him to be extended another season
If tolman went on the market today, there’d be crickets and tumbleweeds at the auction. So it’s not just people on here, that don’t rate him.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Isn't wrestling being phased out of the game slowly with all these ridiculous rule changes that are introduced every year?
Certain types of wrestling "holds" have been banned (eg; chicken wings) but the concept of wrestling is still very much in the forefront of any teams defence. Get 3 or 4 in the tackle, roll the player onto his back and then peel off one by one, which makes a huge difference in the play the ball speed. Peeling is supposed to be banned too, but I can't recall a penalty being issued for it even though it happens almost every second tackle. Melbourne are the masters at it, it's infuriating to watch, my main reason for disliking them and their coach.

Go Dogs

Last edited:

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
FWIW I played for 13 years, up to third grade until the knees gave out. Which doesn't make me any more or less of a fan than anyone else.

Go Dogs
did you ever play with hogs and were they annoying ?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
did you ever play with hogs and were they annoying ?
I avoided passing to the hogs, unless they were that good of course. We all knew who they were and they were ostracised.

Go Dogs

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
not saying defence cannot be coached, but it is extremely basic coaching, with at least 80% of defence coming from attitude... (wrestle coaching excluded)
I think every good coach will agree that attack comes when the forwards get the defence right.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think every good coach will agree that attack comes when the forwards get the defence right.
Defence can certainly "assist" with attack.. but attack certainly does not always necessarily "come" from good defence.

so no, only dumb coaches will have that prehistoric mentality.. Modern day coaches need to devise intelligent strategic attack plans to get around regimented brick wall defences..

how does defence matter when you are camped in the opposition 20 metre zone for set after set and you cant manage to score because you do dumb one out hit ups ?

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
If tolman went on the market today, there’d be crickets and tumbleweeds at the auction. So it’s not just people on here, that don’t rate him.
Des would be there holding his auction card firmly above his head

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt that. He would get a start at another nrl club.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Based on how we have started the last 2 years we need to look at our trials differently to what we did in those games. Pay needs to treat these as a round 1 game and put the side and combo's on that he wants to use for the start of the season. That crap last year of first half putting a realistic side on who played awesome and then resting them for the second obviously didn't achieve a thing. Pay should know by this stage pretty much what his Round 1 team will be and should play that team in both trials. We MUST hit the ground running at the start of the season and buck the trends of the previous 2. Give the upcoming guys 10mins here and there but we should be dead serious about these trials. Let everyone have fun with the 9's.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don’t think Tolman is a “glory” hog. I think he is just one of those players that wants to be involved all the time.

It’s rubbish to say “where is he supposed to go” or how can he get out of the way. You dont see wingers standing in the middle of the ruck to tackle front rowers. Or front towers on the end of a back line.

An experienced footballer like him should get out of the back lines way on 4, 5 or 6 unless it’s a set play that he has a role.

That said it’s my only beef with him and think he is still very valuable in the side because of his motor and the 1% plays he regularly comes up with. He might not attract huge money from other clubs but I will bet plenty of coaches would still have him for $300-400k for what he brings to a team.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Why do we always play the raiders in trials....won’t anyone else play with us???

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Why do we always play the raiders in trials....won’t anyone else play with us???
A lot of clubs have always had an agreements to play each other in trials. It’s gone on for a very long time