News ARL Scrap National Anthem for All Stars Match

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Yeah I believe it's the "free" part as they feel they are not free because their land was taken back then and from thenceforth on feel they have been oppressed in this country.
And they don't like the word "fair" because they see that as fair skin apparently.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
That, and they feel they are unfairly treated too.
Which they probably are in some instances. But they seem to forget that they have access to a lot of things your average Joe Blow doesn't: eg years ago I saw a job advert in the paper that stated "Indigenous people are encouraged to apply" which pretty much means if one applies for that job they will be given it regardless of others' qualifications etc. I don't think an ad stating "Anglo-Saxon people are encouraged to apply" would go down too well at all.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I really don't get it, if you're born here and we are born here, we are ALL Australians. Fuck the tone of your skin, means fuck all.

Why doesn't Australia copy the NZ anthem to keep the triggered snowflakes happy? Half English half aboriginal.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
The line “for we are young and free” discounts the 60,000 years or so of indigenous peoples in Australia. And yes, I know the naysayers will say the country wasn’t called Australia that long ago. But it was still this country and the Indigenous peoples were the original inhabitants (as far that we know from archeology and history).

I’m not sure if there are other phrases that cause offence

I don’t seem to remember anyone actually asking what would Indigenous peoples like this phrase changed to so it was less offensive? Not saying we have to, but surely the decent thing to do would be to ask the question? Changing a couple of words in the anthem to be more inclusive of a significant portion of the population doesn’t seem like that big a deal really.

But mostly, I cannot understand why people get so upset about footballers not singing a song before a game. They’re footballers, not vocalists. Be interesting to know how many of those up in arms about all this sing the anthem before they start their job of a day...
Thank you Jack. I’m of the opinion the national anthem is overused but can someone please remind me who is playing in this game?
As I said earlier which was ignored, if it was Lebanon vs Samoa (in which most players were born here) would we sing the Australian national anthem? No chance

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Why doesn't Australia copy the NZ anthem to keep the triggered snowflakes happy? Half English half aboriginal.
Isn't there a variety of Aboriginal languages so we couldn't please everyone? Let's just put it in the too hard basket lol.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
To get to the bottom of it, what exactly do the words mean?
Nobody knows for sure except the fella that wrote the song, but realistically it's probably not advocating white supremecy IMO.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nobody knows for sure except the fella that wrote the song, but realistically it's probably not advocating white supremecy IMO.
Sounds like 'advance Australia fairly' to me but the real problem is the way the blacks were treated in the past, like dirt and there is probably still some resentment.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Sounds like 'advance Australia fairly' to me but the real problem is the way the blacks were treated in the past, like dirt and there is probably still some resentment.
There no doubt is some resentment towards what happened in the past but where does it peter out? 100 years, 1000 years, never?
They have every right to be pissed off with the past. It is just annoying that a lot of the people nowadays with massive chips on their shoulders and grudges to bear are the same ones that lap up welfare handouts and are more than happy to live their lives as layabouts whilst complaining to all and sundry that they are oppressed. That is what really shits me.
Victims of the stolen generation have a legitimate gripe no doubt. People who are quick to blame oppression for the reason they are drunks and their 8 year old kids are roaming train stations at 2am have only got their own selves to blame. Personal responsibility needs to be owned at some point.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I have a problem with this because of the political agenda behind it. IF it was just a footy match it would be ok. Politics in RL use to be hands off and an escape from the grinds of a working week and life in general but these guys are ruining it.

This is all part of the larger issue of our Country and this division they are creating/keeping. No-one alive was responsible for what happened to the Aboriginals and anyone who agree's with what did happen is a complete fukwit. We all agree it was fuked! Year after fukin year we are all meant to be constantly saying sorry for what happened. The PM officially saying sorry was meant to be that final gesture so we could all move on and live in this lucky Country we have as one. Move forwards and not backwards, we can't change anything. But it wasn't enough, it's never enough and it will never be enough.

Me my lot were forced here as convicts and the other half were Irish immigrants, hell I even have Jew mixed into the blood. What exactly am I suppose to be sorry for? Being born white or something? Do I expect anyone to say sorry for British cruelty to the Irish, The Brits for forcing us to another Country, Hitler/Germany for killing millions of Jews? Nope I just want to live my life, earn a dollar to keep my kids fed and have some fun.

I don't know anyone that committed atrocities 200 years ago, their all dead. That's how the fuking world was populated back then and for the whole existence of mankind, greedy empires taking over countries, it was survival of the meanest/cuntest. Humans are c*nts and have been killing everything possible for our entire existence, that certainly isn't going to change. None of us here are responsible for Australia's dark past so why do we have to keep paying a tab for it? If they played a game where it was Caucasians only what would happen?

I'm just so fukin sick of all this bullshit, we're all Australians.....humans. I'm a Patriot and I Served for this Country and not this destructive BS. I am open to the flag and Anthem changing but until it does this is it!

Hacky this was not directed at you mate, more just a platform to air my rant. Peace out.
I agree with most of what you say and disagree with a tiny bit of what you say.

I completely agree with "we're all humans" and should do away with shit notions like race, patriot, etc. We're all human at the end of the day and that's the only way it should be.

However, we just don't live in that world, the world's a different place than ideals. Majority of the world still latch on to notions like race, culture, patriotism, etc. And given that the world is the way it is, I can understand why indigenous people have a problem with it. It's not inclusive to them, because it makes no mention of their 60,000 year history of this land and in a way completely negates it by saying "young and free".

But out of the "rants" I've read on this topic, I'd have to say your rant has the most stable grounding compared to the other shit rants

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I agree with most of what you say and disagree with a tiny bit of what you say.

I completely agree with "we're all humans" and should do away with shit notions like race, patriot, etc. We're all human at the end of the day and that's the only way it should be.

However, we just don't live in that world, the world's a different place than ideals. Majority of the world still latch on to notions like race, culture, patriotism, etc. And given that the world is the way it is, I can understand why indigenous people have a problem with it. It's not inclusive to them, because it makes no mention of their 60,000 year history of this land and in a way completely negates it by saying "young and free".

But out of the "rants" I've read on this topic, I'd have to say your rant has the most stable grounding compared to the other shit rants
I know we don't live in that world and I guess that's part of my point. That's how it was, every Country seems to have been founded that way. Had it been Chinese or Indonesian then they would still be hunted and being murdered to this day. I've said previously that I'm open to the Anthem and the flag being changed however I suspect that even after that it would be something else.

I just don't understand who's suppose to be sorry? I know the British Government should be and well the Australian Government did that. I certainly think what happened is shit, cruel and every other word that try's to describe the events but how do we decide who should be sorry? Who has to pay for it? Do we do DNA tests for direct decedents of the English responsible or does everyone who doesn't identify as Aboriginal be held guilty..does everyone coming to this Country apologise in advance? Should it be in the Australian Citizenship ode? What's the end game, on the Aboriginal wish list how do we move forward on this? Everyone except them move away...........that ain't happening!

I'm sorry for what happened but I'm not personally sorry because I haven't done anything wrong and I don't owe them or anyone else anything. I judge on your actions.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I know we don't live in that world and I guess that's part of my point. That's how it was, every Country seems to have been founded that way. Had it been Chinese or Indonesian then they would still be hunted and being murdered to this day. I've said previously that I'm open to the Anthem and the flag being changed however I suspect that even after that it would be something else.

I just don't understand who's suppose to be sorry? I know the British Government should be and well the Australian Government did that. I certainly think what happened is shit, cruel and every other word that try's to describe the events but how do we decide who should be sorry? Who has to pay for it? Do we do DNA tests for direct decedents of the English responsible or does everyone who doesn't identify as Aboriginal be held guilty..does everyone coming to this Country apologise in advance? Should it be in the Australian Citizenship ode? What's the end game, on the Aboriginal wish list how do we move forward on this? Everyone except them move away...........that ain't happening!

I'm sorry for what happened but I'm not personally sorry because I haven't done anything wrong and I don't owe them or anyone else anything. I judge on your actions.
Some people need closure because their close relatives have told them stories of what they went through (by close I mean grandparents, as in a generation they could speak to and were in direct contact with and not generations who they were never in contact with)

So given that, our indigenous population only recently endured that 1950/60s and still do to this day.

It certainly doesn't help that part of the population are still immensely racist to them and this ibcludes our politicians (this current government). Many of the current liberal ministers walked out of parliament when Kevin Rudd was saying sorry.

As it stands our indigenous population were recently affected by it (and theres still living people who endured it) and to date we haven't really made great strides in negating racism against them, its still very prevalent. So i can understand why they dont feel part of Australia and are protesting in this fashion or against Australia day.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Some people need closure because their close relatives have told them stories of what they went through (by close I mean grandparents, as in a generation they could speak to and were in direct contact with and not generations who they were never in contact with)

So given that, our indigenous population only recently endured that 1950/60s and still do to this day.

It certainly doesn't help that part of the population are still immensely racist to them and this ibcludes our politicians (this current government). Many of the current liberal ministers walked out of parliament when Kevin Rudd was saying sorry.

As it stands our indigenous population were recently affected by it (and theres still living people who endured it) and to date we haven't really made great strides in negating racism against them, its still very prevalent. So i can understand why they dont feel part of Australia and are protesting in this fashion or against Australia day.
At the same time there are also some aboriginals, who are racist and try their hardest not to try fit in with the rest of Australia's society and choose to segregate themselves. I just don't ever see any form of things changing in the near future between both parties to be honest.

Last edited:

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
At the same time there are also some aboriginals, who are racist and try their hardest not to try fit in with the rest of Australia's society and choose to segregate themselves. I just don't ever see any form of things changing in the near future between both parties to be honest.
There's a difference between individual racism and systematic racism.

Systematic racism relies on power constructs to enact racism on the targeted minority

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The ABC have a documentary on 23/2/20 on Adam Goodes called The Australian Dream (and iview). Could be insightful.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
not many of the first white fellas wanted to be here either from what I learned at school, many were ripped away from their families for petty crimes and shipped half way around the world, even more recently English, Irish children were shipped over here....if there was to be a real apology it should come from England, the rest of us are stuck here together and need to learn to live together

now before I get banned again for being racist..... I am part aboriginal blood myself (Wiradjuri), I just like to look at both sides of an argument and make up my own mind, I have had family members force feeding me the hate the white man stuff all my life..... yeah a lot isn't great but a lot is blown out of proportion or made up and im pretty happy with my life as it is without going out and looking for a fight at every turn, shit some of my family don't talk to me because I work and I refuse to let my wife use the aboriginal card to get special treatment for our kids..