News How the Bulldogs signed Super League star Luke Thompson

Dog4life77

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Couldn't have been arsed reading through all the thread but see I should've before commenting on things.

Such comments about autism made above etc. are plain bullshit guys and not something to make fun of. Having a daughter myself with special needs it really puts me off seeing crap comments like this, and even more disappointing seeing respected posters on here liking or finding the post funny.

We're all going to disagree on shit, and by god I disagree with some of you a lot, but keep it out of the fucking gutters you clowns.
100% mate..
I have full respect for those that respect others,but none whatsoever for those that belittle those that deal with things in their lives they had no say in..
The Kennel deserves better intellect than that

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I have 2 brothers with Autism mate,so pretty poor choice of words there..
I don’t appreciate your negative connotation.
My brothers likely have more positives than you bud with that kind of attitude
It’s a figure of speech mate and not directed at you, your brothers or anyone suffering from Autism, it is just a poor choice of words written in the heat of the moment and not meant to cause any offence.

Dog4life77

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It’s a figure of speech mate and not directed at you, your brothers or anyone suffering from Autism, it is just a poor choice of words written in the heat of the moment and not meant to cause any offence.
I’ll accept that Pity..
It’s not a figure of speech I have ever heard,but you didn’t shy away from it being a poor choice of words and I respect that..
Let’s get back to some healthy debate about the mighty Bulldogs
Dog 4 Life

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’ll accept that Pity..
It’s not a figure of speech I have ever heard,but you didn’t shy away from it being a poor choice of words and I respect that..
Let’s get back to some healthy debate about the mighty Bulldogs
Dog 4 Life
Dog 4 Life you say ... do you have a tatoo to prove it? Only then can you say you're a Dog 4 Life ... apparently ;)

Dog4life77

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Dog 4 Life you say ... do you have a tatoo to prove it? Only then can you say you're a Dog 4 Life ... apparently ;)
Haha..
Supported since I was 5 and I’m 43 now..so that’s most of my life thus far..
And I will support the Blue & White til I die..
So barring 5yrs..I would say I am definitely a Dog 4 Life..
No tattoos mate..but everyone that knows me,knows not to talk about the Dogs in front of me,unless you are paying them a compliment..hahaha⚪

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Haha..
Supported since I was 5 and I’m 43 now..so that’s most of my life thus far..
And I will support the Blue & White til I die..
So barring 5yrs..I would say I am definitely a Dog 4 Life..
No tattoos mate..but everyone that knows me,knows not to talk about the Dogs in front of me,unless you are paying them a compliment..hahaha⚪
Ha can actually relate. 40 now but been a Bulldog since birth. No other choice really.

My mates learnt quick that badmouthing my family didn't bother me, but say one word about the Bulldogs and especially Terry Lamb!

But I digress. No tattoo? No Bulldogs 4 Life ;)

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Looking at Thompson. Who could you compare him against so that I could get a better idea of the type of player he is? From the highlihgts i've seen him he definitely doesn't look like your typical prop. Very light on his feet, fast. NOt the tgypical slugger I'd expect from England?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Looking at Thompson. Who could you compare him against so that I could get a better idea of the type of player he is? From the highlihgts i've seen him he definitely doesn't look like your typical prop. Very light on his feet, fast. NOt the tgypical slugger I'd expect from England?
Maybe someone like Paul Vaughan? He's bulked up a bit now but when he first came onto the scene he was much slimmer but so effective because of his footwork and athleticism for a prop...

I think Thompson is similar but with more upside than Vaughan and Thompson will eventually bulk up more once he plays a few seasons of NRL..

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It was a CUTE article but was not necessary.
We should be ruthless with our recruitment and shouldn’t have to explain how we manage to sign a player.

I don’t hear the roosters explaining how they signed Tedesco,keary and Cronk
Or the Rabbitohs with Mitchell

I love the signing but I don’t want the club thinking they have to explain to the fans how difficult it was or even to the enemy (rival fans) how lucky we were.

Just get it done and be aggressive in this re build.

again I’m very happy with the signing

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've only seen a bit of footage. But he seems to be able to make great post contact metres with two to four players hanging off him. Reminds me a bit of Klemmer in this regard. Seen a couple of moments where he used some footwork to elude a few players in a broken defensive line. Probably say that doesn't really remind me of anyone in particular. Defensively he didn't look like a big hitter from the few minutes I've seen. But he seems to not let go when he gets hold of his opponent. And lastly he's got some decent pace and can swerve a bit in his runs.

Most of the footage was from a grand final. So I'd assume that this is against a pretty decent opponent. All things considered, I'm not going to say he'll have the same impact as Taumalolo. But he has plenty of weapons in his arsenal and looks like he backs it up with having some fire in the belly.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It was a CUTE article but was not necessary.
We should be ruthless with our recruitment and shouldn’t have to explain how we manage to sign a player.

I don’t hear the roosters explaining how they signed Tedesco,keary and Cronk
Or the Rabbitohs with Mitchell

I love the signing but I don’t want the club thinking they have to explain to the fans how difficult it was or even to the enemy (rival fans) how lucky we were.

Just get it done and be aggressive in this re build.

again I’m very happy with the signing
If the Roosters explained the process of filling brown paper bags with money they'd get in trouble.

Back when Steve Price jumped ship to the Warriors along with Reuben Wiki, they released an article about the fact that they got Temeura Morrison (Jake the Muss) to put a quick DVD message together as a special touch. I have no issues with this article. At the end of the day if some good players read this and see that the club wants to build around a group of players with a strong set of values it's not a bad thing.

At times I've been critical of the fact that if Charles Manson had football talent, the Broncos would be trying to recruit him. So it is actually good to hear that we're trying to build around quality players and people. Given that we've said we want to get some focus on our junior production line again, an article like this might actually get some parents in our corner with recruiting their talented kids.

Last edited:

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If the Roosters explained the process of filling brown paper bags with money they'd get in trouble.

Back when Steve Price jumped ship to the Warriors along with Reuben Wiki, they released an article about the fact that they got Temeura Morrison (Jake the Muss) to put a quick DVD message together as a special touch. I have no issues with this article. At the end of the day if some good players read this and see that the club wants to build around a group of players with a strong set of values it's not a bad thing.

At times I've been critical of the fact that if Charles Manson had football talent, the Broncos would be trying to recruit him. So it is actually good to hear that we're trying to build around quality players and people. Given that we've said we want to get some focus on our junior production line again, an article like this might actually get some parents in our corner with recruiting their talented kids.

I doubt parents are going to care about that to be honest. Would you want your kid to work for the local council on minimum wage because they are all nice like a family at the council? Or tell him or her harden up a little go work for this other company yeah might not be so nice and cruisybut your setting yourself up for life with the other company.

again I love the signing but I don’t need to hear this love story I just want to see results because like I said our enemy are reading these stories.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Honestly mate, no matter what the club does or doesn't do people will always have the side of the fence they want to sit on. And nothing will change that.

Personally it'd be great to read more balanced views rather than hysteria tied into one specific line of belief. In this case it's usually whether the board is or isn't doing its job well. To me it's frustrating coming on here and constantly seeing it all about making lines and whose view is best.

As you're probably aware I've had my disagreements with Brad, but agree with some of what he says and will say that. Credit where credit is due. But some of his views I don't agree with and I call him out on that ... when I see them.

For what it's worth we all need to settle down. Great sign what the club has done with Thompson, but more need to follow. Addo Carr before the season starts would be fab, but we need another 1-2 at least.

For the record, neither Thompson nor Addo Care are marquee signings imo. And I'm happy as hell with that.

The fact we've got a settled club with no off season dramas and a good preseason I think bodes extremely well for us. We're not going to win the comp, but I'm quite optimistic
Of course mate - hence why I gracefully bowed out of the conversation with Brady - it was clearly going nowhere and no point banging on and on when you'll never agree.
Credit where it's due of course - hell, I even complimented AlzzBulldog (sort of) last week when he said something other than derogatory about the club!
I don't even want to talk about 'marquee' because I hate the term - especially in a team sport.
We're in a good position to push forward this year given we effectively had to start again last year.
I agree with you - no one has expectations about winning the comp this year but I see no reason why with a decent start, some consistency and a decent run with injuries we cannot make the 8 - we can!
Cheers Steve - love your work (and comedy) :-)

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe my eye sight is failing me but I don’t think Thommo is small... he’s not as tall as Nelson or Bromwich or Hargreaves Napa, Klemmer etc but he’s far from small.. thick AF and his player stats say he’s 106kgs. Good weight for the modern front rower.

I sort of think he is a bit like James Graham in terms of work rate but is a lot faster.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Jesus 11 pages? I love how Bradyk is waging a one man war against the Kennel Chuck Norris style. But unlike Walker Texas Ranger, he's getting his ass kicked badly..

Some people will never be happy and can't see reason or logic. Don't waste your time on Bradyk Salary Cap Ranger anymore fellas.
As a famous Walker Texas Ranger saying goes "If I wanted your opinion I'd beat it out of you" :tearsofjoy:

I'm just quoting not actually directing that at you btrain.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fingers crossed the NRL actually drops the interchange down a couple of players which they have talked about for the last few years. It would really add to Thompson’s value.

Doomsdaydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Lol it’s a gripping tale on how they signed him but the same effort would be required to get a few more signatures
Very different my friend.

The biggest issue here (NRL) is that your dealing with player agents (suckerfish)

Player agents (suckerfish) treat their clients and clubs like sluts.

The influence of agents on players is one thing, but what should be hugely concerning for the NRL is the role they are now having in coaching circles.

Agents have cottoned onto to the fact that it's through managing coaches that they can really influence the game. The game certainly does not benefit from the coaching market turning into a lawless wasteland.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Very different my friend.
The biggest issue here (NRL) is that your dealing with player agents (suckerfish)
Player agents (suckerfish) treat their clients and clubs like sluts.
The influence of agents on players is one thing, but what should be hugely concerning for the NRL is the role they are now having in coaching circles.
Agents have cottoned onto to the fact that it's through managing coaches that they can really influence the game. The game certainly does not benefit from the coaching market turning into a lawless wasteland.
Speaking of agents did I read somewhere that Phil Gould has applied for an NRL agents licence? There's a huge steaming pile of trouble just waiting to explode.

Go Dogs