Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Overpaid?
Not a marquee?
3-4 more front rowers?
Yes. Please explain how he isn't.
No. Thompson is not going to attract top NRL talent and he's untested in the NRL.
We need a Halfback or Five-Eighth, Hooker, Winger and another Winger or Centre. Two of which have little to no options off contract available. Also if we move Tolman on we're light another Prop unless RFM or Toomaga really step up and to be honest I don't see either of them or Napa are starters.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not sure if you can read but that was almost two years ago. It says the two other clubs persisting with him were the Titans and Warriors both clubs I'd say we have a better chance to recruit a player (unless they want to live in QLD or NZ). Rumour has it we're paying him 700k whereas John Bateman joined the Raiders for 350k. It's a good signing but don't get too carried away now. I think the reason majority of other clubs dropped out was because of St. Helens offer. I also never questioned Hill regarding overseas recruitment (with Holbrook or Thompson).
You dont know how we are paying nor do you know how much Bateman is being paid LOL

Dog4life77

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don't need to know their exact salary. If the values were 650k and 400k it'd be the same principle. So we've overpaid on a player who isn't even a marquee signing with competition against St. Helens, Warriors and Titans. So much egg on my face right now! I told you forever this is what we're going to have to do. Now we need another three to four of them.
Again with this ‘Marquee Signing’ crap..
How is he NOT a ‘Marquee Signing’?
Because he isn’t from Australia?
Because you never watched one of his games?
He is regarded as one of the best props in the world!!!
He won the equivalent of the Clive Churchill Medal!!!
He currently plays for the ESL champions!!!
Am I missing something...or are you ??

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like grandstanding to me as they may get pumped about recruitment Tommorrow at agm.
Great insight and foresight, congrats of course ( and many more to come) but why or why are we transparent with our internal workings and how we go about things to our competitors as in other clubs.........
Great for supporters and the doubters to know how they did it.....

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
No. Thompson is not going to attract top NRL talent and he's untested in the NRL.
We need a Halfback or Five-Eighth, Hooker, Winger and another Winger or Centre. Two of which have little to no options off contract available. Also if we move Tolman on we're light another Prop unless RFM or Toomaga really step up and to be honest I don't see either of them or Napa are starters.
All your opinion. Most players who have gone to other clubs this year were still contracted to another club

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
“As we understand, there were at least 11 or 12 clubs interested in having a chat.“

More egg on faces, especially you young @bradyk :grinning:

Another one we tripped over, fell on and got lucky I guess
Personally wouldn't read too much into the 11-12 clubs things. Article has clearly been planted by club to create positivity, good on them. Done very well with this.

But at same time board, club, coach, players need to do a lot more before we can really say we've 'got out mojo back'

Good start tho

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Again with this ‘Marquee Signing’ crap..
How is he NOT a ‘Marquee Signing’?
Because he isn’t from Australia?
Because you never watched one of his games?
He is regarded as one of the best props in the world!!!
He won the equivalent of the Clive Churchill Medal!!!
He currently plays for the ESL champions!!!
Am I missing something...or are you ??
I guess it depends what you think a marquee signing is. I don't see how he's going to attract top NRL talent.
He's not regarded as one of the best props in the world. He's the best prop in the Super League which is an inferior league to the NRL.
Hastings and Seizer for e.g. look like gods in the Super League.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Seems like grandstanding to me as they may get pumped about recruitment Tommorrow at agm.
Great insight and foresight, congrats of course ( and many more to come) but why or why are we transparent with our internal workings and how we go about things to our competitors as in other clubs.........
Come on man. They're not really doing anything that groundbreaking. Doubt other clubs are looking at this saying "Shit, we should talk to players family, or give them personal visits" etc etc.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don’t think getting sushi as a celebration meal after the contract was signed is some great inside secret getting out into the open that will bite us in the ass. There’s no real internal workings in that story getting published that’s anything to worry about.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
All your opinion. Most players who have gone to other clubs this year were still contracted to another club
That's good and hopefully it's the same for next year as it opens up a greater playing pool to poach from. That's something we need especially for the spine positions.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps its to let future potential signings know what we are about.
Who knows.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really like your post.
We need to get more innovative right?
Come on man. They're not really doing anything that groundbreaking. Doubt other clubs are looking at this saying "Shit, we should talk to players family, or give them personal visits" etc etc.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I guess it depends what you think a marquee signing is. I don't see how he's going to attract top NRL talent.
He's not regarded as one of the best props in the world. He's the best prop in the Super League which is an inferior league to the NRL.
Hastings and Seizer for e.g. look like gods in the Super League.
Personally sick of all this marquee signing crap. For me it's called the RIGHT signing, something we continually have done wrong in the past.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yep I thought he went there for touch footy haha
No, it was to sign Holbrook to replace Pay. Funny the commitment of the Chair and CEO to travel personally to secure Thommo when they allegedly ‘failed’ to call Holbrook back which resulted in him signing with the Titans :-).

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
One of the most encouraging things about it is that it looks like when Hill and the club target a player they really go after a player they get their man most of the time. The only one they gave really missed out on was Api.
Agree, but we know the Api story and he wasn’t worth a bidding war, so again, smart.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not complicated for other clubs mate.

Good to get off the mark though.
Hopefully this shows people just how complicated the recruitment process is.
So many layers and touch points by the club to secure this signature...

Very pleasing to hear the talk around values, this can’t be underestimated and shows where the club is heading in building the right culture.

This is potentially why we passed passed
on muppets like BJ and Curtis Scott.

Good read though!

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He may attract bateman or Sam Williams or hodgson or other stars in the nrl in the future you don't know mate

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Not sure if you can read but that was almost two years ago. It says the two other clubs persisting with him were the Titans and Warriors both clubs I'd say we have a better chance to recruit a player (unless they want to live in QLD or NZ). Rumour has it we're paying him 700k whereas John Bateman joined the Raiders for 350k. It's a good signing but don't get too carried away now. I think the reason majority of other clubs dropped out was because of St. Helens offer. I also never questioned Hill regarding overseas recruitment (with Holbrook or Thompson).[/
”I think the reason majority of other clubs dropped out was because of St. Helens offer”

You should never ASSUME mate! All it does is make an ASS out of U and ME...