News ARL Scrap National Anthem for All Stars Match

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
If this "we are oppressed and will never make our peace with what happened centuries ago" mentality will never cease we may as well just bite the bullet and bloody well pack up our ambitions to live as as a dignified inclusive country.
Give some land to the Aboriginals who want to live as they please and let them reside there, without any extra government handouts above what any non-indigenous is accessible to, let them get back to their roots and culture, be one with the land. Have no problem with that at all. Would they be happy and content then? I highly doubt it.
Let them build this imaginary community through hard work and tolerance of each other in that community. Would that work? No reason it shouldn't if this is their major gripe that they are "still not free to live as their ancestors once did".
Let them have a chance to make a go of it but if they cannot handle that way of life then they cannot really argue about too much re: modern society.
Wonder what would happen if a bunch of blokes from the All-Star team decide that the aboriginal war dance doesn't have any personal meaning to themselves and choose to ignore it? Same scenerio IMO.
The indigenous all-stars game should just be played between 2 all-indigenous teams. Would be interesting to see how that would go as far as popularity and ratings go.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
No i wouldn't

I also wouldn't take handouts from the Government or play for the national team of that nation. I wouldn't serve in the nation's armed forces or participate in amy national celebration.

If you revolt. You revolt with everything. Not a half assed convenience revolt
How would you feed and clothe yourself.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If things went slightly different in WW2, Blah would be Japan.
Yup and if Hitler had not attacked Russia or waited till he'd dealt with England, how different would Europe look today?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Excellent question. Would people take advantage of improvements offered under the Blahs while still resisting on the side? If the Blahs offered 4 day working weeks and 3 day weekends would peeps say yes to something like that? Of course most would and simply move on with their lives. Others would continue to resist regardless.
And the resistors against the Blahs were uprooted to missions in the middle of nowhere. No chance of providing their natural diet and hunting pastimes; rounded up by coppers along the rabbit fence, children taken away never to be seen again then I bet the resistors would eventually, after a generation or two, accept the pittance sitting money and poor sanitary conditions, as all will to live is eroded away. We have rampant depression in society now, imagine what they've suffered!

Being held against your will, with nothing to do, you can't think oh well I can work my way out of this.

You been stripped of all dignity and not even your children's love to sustain you. They've been taken from you.

This is the reality for those people when of Blah landed here to get rid of their convicts and petty thieves, and Irish nationalists.

These wrongs have been flung onto these guys for over 200 years with hardly any understanding of them as human beings.

Have some compassion.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If this "we are oppressed and will never make our peace with what happened centuries ago" mentality will never cease we may as well just bite the bullet and bloody well pack up our ambitions to live as as a dignified inclusive country.
Give some land to the Aboriginals who want to live as they please and let them reside there, without any extra government handouts above what any non-indigenous is accessible to, let them get back to their roots and culture, be one with the land. Have no problem with that at all. Would they be happy and content then? I highly doubt it.
Let them build this imaginary community through hard work and tolerance of each other in that community. Would that work? No reason it shouldn't if this is their major gripe that they are "still not free to live as their ancestors once did".
Let them have a chance to make a go of it but if they cannot handle that way of life then they cannot really argue about too much re: modern society.
Wonder what would happen if a bunch of blokes from the All-Star team decide that the aboriginal war dance doesn't have any personal meaning to themselves and choose to ignore it? Same scenerio IMO.
The indigenous all-stars game should just be played between 2 all-indigenous teams. Would be interesting to see how that would go as far as popularity and ratings go.
I'd take it one step further and not give them anything from the white man. Clothes, modern medicine, technology etc. Let them live on their land as their ancestors did.

Believe it or not I am actually part aborigine and visit my full blood aboriginal relo's often, but I dont claim any welfare I am legally entitled to as it wouldnt be right. My relo's dont whinge and bitch either and are fine being productive members of society.

The funny thing is the most people I see up in arms are the whiteys, trying to show how woke they are.

Tazer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I've never understood why the NRL insist on playing the national anthem when it's not really warranted. Why do they play it at SOO for example.....it's not an international. Or the GF for that matter. Should be saved for internationals only.......and the ANZAC day clash imo.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I've never understood why the NRL insist on playing the national anthem when it's not really warranted. Why do they play it at SOO for example.....it's not an international. Or the GF for that matter. Should be saved for internationals only.......and the ANZAC day clash imo.
States have their own songs (not that i've ever heard them). Maybe we should be playing them at SOO.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Scoobs that's not their point :grinning: they aren't going to mouth the words because of their belief that our anthem doesn't represent them as the first inhabitants.

Kiwi national anthem does recognise Maori and you have a Treaty. Far more inclusive.

If we had that same honouring of aboriginal culture then yes abuse the ba$tards for not singing the national anthem.
Fair point lol, as I say, I’m only a kiwi :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

still love the Aussie culture however, just don’t get all the other bits an pieces, maybe a little ignorance.. but I try an pay attention mostly.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I'd take it one step further and not give them anything from the white man. Clothes, modern medicine, technology etc. Let them live on their land as their ancestors did.

Believe it or not I am actually part aborigine and visit my full blood aboriginal relo's often, but I dont claim any welfare I am legally entitled to as it wouldnt be right. My relo's dont whinge and bitch either and are fine being productive members of society.

The funny thing is the most people I see up in arms are the whiteys, trying to show how woke they are.
"The funny thing is the most people I see up in arms are the whiteys, trying to show how woke they are."

Define "up in arms".

If you are referring to posters discussing both sides of the issue on here, you are exaggerating. There's no up in arms from whiteys.

Happy for your personal family circumstances but that does not represent what the players are espoucing on this anthem issue.

Your relatives who don't have a problem, can keep singing the anthem. No problem.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Fair point lol, as I say, I’m only a kiwi :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

still love the Aussie culture however, just don’t get all the other bits an pieces, maybe a little ignorance.. but I try an pay attention mostly.
Good to have your insight as always.

We could do with some Kiwi knowledge over here ;)

You guys settled the legalities and included Maori verse into your national anthem....we do that we are sweet and will catch up to you lol.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Good to have your insight as always.

We could do with some Kiwi knowledge over here ;)

You guys settled the legalities and included Maori verse into your national anthem....we do that we are sweet and will catch up to you lol.
Haha.. thanks wendog :grinning:

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ll preface this by stating I am married to an Indigenous woman and have been for…wait…carry the two…35 years.

In that time we’ve seen some major changes to the relationship between Indigenous and non-Indigenous people and we agree most of the worsening of that relationship can be traced back to the Mabo decision. That decision empowered Indigenous people as it was the first to recognise and more importantly value their relationship with the land. The same land the white man wants for roads, houses, mines, airports, shopping malls etc, but the decision gave rise to several Acts the most important being the Native Title ACT 1993.

These were for the first time a formal recognition of Indigenous people and their heritage with this country.

And while there have been steps to a formal recognition of Indigenous people within the Constitution of Australia, these latest anthem protests are just today’s Indigenous youths continuing to progress that goal imo.

Kennelnator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Off topic, but did you know, in Germany, every single German who is employed, has 1€ deducted from their pay each week which goes to the Jews (as compensation)

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
We need to change the anthem to something less divisive.... like this

Nexus

Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
"The funny thing is the most people I see up in arms are the whiteys, trying to show how woke they are."

Define "up in arms".

If you are referring to posters discussing both sides of the issue on here, you are exaggerating. There's no up in arms from whiteys.

Happy for your personal family circumstances but that does not represent what the players are espoucing on this anthem issue.

Your relatives who don't have a problem, can keep singing the anthem. No problem.
LOL, no im not just talking about the discussion on here. This place is not the centre of my universe lol.

No, it brings me back to my original post and the need these days for people to be victims. The majority of these players are kids and have been bought up with that mindset.

Nexus

Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I personally dont care if they change the national anthem, its rubbish anyway.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How would you feed and clothe yourself.
Earn your money. Dont take a handout from a government that is "oppressive"

Lol you cant have a one way revolution.

In the case of NRL players. Play for your club. Don't play for your state or country as they represent that government that "oppresses" you. Dont take the money that comes with it.

I am not opposed to changing the anthem or what date Australia day is.

But these hypocritical revolutionists bug me.

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Although it is totally understandable and reasonable for the Indigenous players to not want the anthem played, I must say that the fact these same players are willing to play in the Australian National team is inconsistent with their rhetoric. When Addo Carr, Latrell play for Australia they are playing for the Commenwealth of Australia... does this do a good job at representing the indigenous people? Everyone can have their say, but the fact that they oppose the national anthem shows that they do oppose the Commenwealth of Australia. There never was an aboriginal nation so when they play for Australia it is very hypocritical...

Anyway, personally I am OK with the anthem not being played at this game.