News ARL Scrap National Anthem for All Stars Match

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Plus neither side is representing Australia as a nation (or nz for that matter)..

Personally, I'd only use the anthem in test matches (and maybe games like Anzac Day).
This is a very relevant post. If for example Lebanon played Tonga at ANZ stadium I wouldn’t expect the Australian national anthem despite the bulk of players not only living here but being born here

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Meh, National Rugby League all stars seems fine to play the nation's anthem beforehand. Its not like we won't pay our respects to the Indigenous through their own pre game tradition. I respect people's views to not sing or even enjoy it but I can't see what the issue is with playing our countries anthem before any sporting event. Might aswell scrap it for the Olympics, world cups, etc then.

It's not like you'll find a huge Australian flag perched up on my wall at home or anything. I don't have Advance Australia Fair on my Spotify playlist lol. But it's my countries National Anthem. To me, it's a representation of how I was brought up and taught to live in our unique multicultural society. A country which has less racial boundaries than pretty much any country in the world, something I take pride in being apart of.

Greenturd is just a spineless worm who tries to please everybody but instead is slowly ripping the soul out of this sport

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It just feels like another small push to be more divisive among the population. I can understand their point of view in not wanting it sung, but this kind of thing will make racists feel more justified in hatred and the Indigenous more prone to playing the blame game for their situations.

I am all for trying to improve medical care and balancing the quality of education received in the remote communities etc. Everyone deserves the tools to live the best life they can. I actually extend this feeling that even new immigrants should receive education and medical care. Racism and the divisive nature of humanity is among the most shameful aspects of us as a species. Greed still takes the cake as the worst in my opinion.

As far as it goes I acknowledge that in the past some terrible policies existed regarding how Aboriginals were treated. But to an extent I think that pathways to improve their lives already exist for Aboriginals in suburbia. Indigenous positions in the workplace exist, Indigenous scholarships exist, monetary provisions (abstudy) for Indigenous people furthering their education beyond mandatory levels are already in place and they're a little better than the standard of Austudy. You can continually create platforms to cry foul about the past, but if you fail to use the opportunities available to create a better future for yourself you are going to be in the same loop of feeling like the victim forever. I think that to some extent the victim card allows many indigenous people to justify that they don't plan to work towards bettering their lives in the future and some resentment from those of European lineages comes in because of that. Protesting the past can't go on forever. It can certainly be something that you might always hold a level of resentment about. But the onus is on everyone that feels slighted to move forward and look for opportunities if they want to ensure they and their children aren't continually in a loop of blaming the system for failing them and expecting that some silver platter be given to them to equalize things. It's easier to be proud if you actually achieve through hard work. If the Aboriginals in pre colonial Australia didn't have the work ethic they'd be skeletons that archeologists dug up. I think that now they need to understand that they can't dwell on the fact that their past might have been a display of having adapted to a harsh land through adaptive methods of living. If they want to be proud now it requires that they again adapt to the current landscape. Try to excel through education and apply their work ethic to being recognized in the workplace. I have had ancestors that achieved a lot, but on my deathbed I won't be able to take any pride from what they achieved, my own accomplishments will define who I was and how I perceive that my life went. I hope that if I have children they have a similar view and I think that this should be the message that young people of any race and religion should be taught. Take some pride in your ancestry by making them proud through your own actions.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. They aren’t the Australian side
2. They’re footballers not singers

I really don’t see why this is a thing. Even if they were the Oz side, who cares if a player sings or not? They’re there to entertain by playing football.

I’ve seen plenty of non-indigenous players not sing and it was never mentioned...but I guess it’s all-white for them

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
This thread is a cesspool of closet racists, absolutely endemic of the issues that indigenous Australians face every day

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Please indulge me my opinion :grinning:

Until Australia's "First Peoples" have their voice to Parliament fully ratified, we as a country can't feel like we have given them their full justice. The players are making their stand, just like Eureka which we whitey aussies celebrate.

The poms took their land, invaded and slaughtered wholesale tribes.

There was never a Treaty or formal recognition given that they owned and inhabited Australia first.

NZ have recognised, and more importantly validated, that principle. They gave themselves the legal and moral ability to move on. They have cultural problems with it as well but it's a workable solution. We haven't given Australia that chance.

Ryan James telling of how his mother was not recognised as a human, let alone a voter or rightful citizen of her own birth country, tells you the deep hurt and injustice felt by Aboriginal peoples.

That sense of misplacement and resentment won't be going away just cos we don't agree with the anthem not being sung.

This game is seen as a celebration of 2 unique cultures that are integral to the playing of rugby league. Those players see the discrimination every day of their lives in their country home towns and their people's lives. How can we understand all the bad experiences that have been ingrained into their heritage. We can't. Cut 'em some slack.

We need to discuss and solve the far greater problem and then the singing of the anthem might have some relevance.

I know most of you are enraged and think they get special treatment and we agree education is the key to pulling themselves up and getting on a level playing field.

But who here would not have a chip on their shoulders if your ancestors were conquered, shot, chained up worse than dogs in neck braces, women raped and put into domestic servitude, starved out if they didn't comply, children taken away, no vote, displaced from homeland onto a mission as unpaid slaves. Their whole culture and family structures completely trashed and they were left with nothing of their values to keep or hold onto. Way of living completely broken. None of us would know how that felt. Of course that despondency and depression with their lot has been passed down from generation to generation. We never broke the cycle of injustice and hardship placed upon these people and we destroyed their kinship to help recover.

It's only been very recent that they have had a chance to get education and opportunities and come into their own.

Lets start having a 2 way conversation about how we ended up in this situation. It's not good enough anymore to tell them to harden up and forget the past. It needs a full and frank reconciliation.

If they don't want to forgive and forget until they get full recognition of the injustices done to them, and if that means they feel betrayed, and hypocritical, by singing a national anthem that does not fully recognise the past inflicted on them, well so be it.

It's a shame they don't want to sing it. Is that a reflection on them or is it a reflection on the way they feel their people have been disadvantaged and badly treated.

These guys are the elite of their people playing rugby league and they want to advance their families outcomes while they have this platform.

Just my opinion. It's in line with my views of real, kitchen table justice. I won't be arguing with anyone or entering into debates and everyone is entitled to disagree and see it their way. As the resident snowflake on here, I just wanted to give my view.
Cheers all.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I have a problem with this because of the political agenda behind it. IF it was just a footy match it would be ok. Politics in RL use to be hands off and an escape from the grinds of a working week and life in general but these guys are ruining it.

This is all part of the larger issue of our Country and this division they are creating/keeping. No-one alive was responsible for what happened to the Aboriginals and anyone who agree's with what did happen is a complete fukwit. We all agree it was fuked! Year after fukin year we are all meant to be constantly saying sorry for what happened. The PM officially saying sorry was meant to be that final gesture so we could all move on and live in this lucky Country we have as one. Move forwards and not backwards, we can't change anything. But it wasn't enough, it's never enough and it will never be enough.

Me my lot were forced here as convicts and the other half were Irish immigrants, hell I even have Jew mixed into the blood. What exactly am I suppose to be sorry for? Being born white or something? Do I expect anyone to say sorry for British cruelty to the Irish, The Brits for forcing us to another Country, Hitler/Germany for killing millions of Jews? Nope I just want to live my life, earn a dollar to keep my kids fed and have some fun.

I don't know anyone that committed atrocities 200 years ago, their all dead. That's how the fuking world was populated back then and for the whole existence of mankind, greedy empires taking over countries, it was survival of the meanest/cuntest. Humans are c*nts and have been killing everything possible for our entire existence, that certainly isn't going to change. None of us here are responsible for Australia's dark past so why do we have to keep paying a tab for it? If they played a game where it was Caucasians only what would happen?

I'm just so fukin sick of all this bullshit, we're all Australians.....humans. I'm a Patriot and I Served for this Country and not this destructive BS. I am open to the flag and Anthem changing but until it does this is it!

Hacky this was not directed at you mate, more just a platform to air my rant. Peace out.
Totally agree. Call me old school, call me heartless but it will be a cold day in hell before I apologise for being born white.

All throughout human history races conquered other races. Its the way the world was back then and happened all over the globe. Over centuries we have evolved and gotten more "civilised" but you cannot apply today's sensibilities to times of past.

Honestly its just the world we live in now. We live in a world of victim-ism. Everybody wants to be a victim and have people apologise and pander to them for shit that happened hundreds of years ago that they never even had to go through. I see it on my Facebook feed with an aboriginal kid I went to school with, jumping up and down about aboriginal rights and not having the same opportunities as everyone else, blah blah blah. And Im thinking, mate, you grew up in the suburbs, middle class, always had the best gear and was one of the popular kids at school. WTF did you miss out on exactly?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
This thread is a cesspool of closet racists, absolutely endemic of the issues that indigenous Australians face every day
This thread does seem to have gone down the usual predictable path.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Our national anthem is so old fashioned, and irrelevant, that it needs to be change.

Who uses words like 'girt' and 'toil' these days? In fact the only time I've ever used them to state how irrelevant they are... like I just did in this post.

Imagine a full crowd at Stadium Australia standing together and singing this song with great pride during a Socceroos WC qualifying match or Grand Final.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure why people have a problem with this.

The All Stars game was started by an Aboriginal to bring more recognition to the Aboriginal NRL players. Many Aboriginals have an issue with the fact that the Australia was founded on invasion.

I personally have no problem with the national anthem and I think it actually is inclusive for all Australians, but this is an indigenous founded game so demanding that they hear something they don't like during their game is just shit.
The best part of this is aboriginal players earning millions of dollars while simultaneously claiming to be having a 'hard time of it because of the white man'

LOL

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Our national anthem is so old fashioned, and irrelevant, that it needs to be change.

Who uses words like 'girt' and 'toil' these days? In fact the only time I've ever used them to state how irrelevant they are... like I just did in this post.

Imagine a full crowd at Stadium Australia standing together and singing this song with great pride during a Socceroos WC qualifying match or Grand Final.
I'l take girt and toil over the story of a cowardly suicidal thief TBH (but I guess it does represent our convict history)...

My preference might be "Under the Southern Cross I stand", which is currently the victory song of our national cricket team (and a song i have sung hundreds of times myself - not playing cricket for Australia unfortunately).

Lyrics for those who have no idea what im' on about (it does involve incarceration and alcohol consumption):

Australia, Australia
Land of the waratah and … dahlia
If ya land in gaol I’ll bail ya
Australia
Two arms, two hands
Two steely bands
Beneath the Southern Cross I stand
A sprig of wattle in my hand
A product of my native land
A voice within me cries aloud
Australia
You fucking beauty.
Sop up the old red rooster
And more piss!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

Not so fast mate.
I was driving to the airport yesterday and found myself girt by traffic.
It was absolute toil just getting there...:-)

sideswip

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Do we live in Australia ? so play the National Anthem FFS, if you dont want to sing it or mouth the words dont !

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Not so fast mate.
2020 translation...

You were passed by traffic, and it was hard work getting there.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Not so fast mate.
So you didn't feel young and free? So, I suppose, no rejoicing then?

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Young aboriginal men earning millions of bucks but allegedly 'are not free'

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Do we live in Australia ? so play the National Anthem FFS, if you dont want to sing it or mouth the words dont !
Perhaps we should have it playing out of loudspeakers all over the nation at 8am every day and we all stop what we are doing, face Canberra and sing with gusto.

...both verses.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
So you didn't feel young and free? So, I suppose, no rejoicing then?
I thought the rejoicing period would begin after no longer being girt by traffic.
However then I had to face airport security and boarding - no rejoicing.
In fact, a couple of the words I chose at the time wouldn't be described as joyful strains.
The experience aged me, I'm not feeling as young any more.
I certainly hope there's some wealth for my toil...

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I thought the rejoicing period would begin after no longer being girt by traffic.
However then I had to face airport security and boarding - no rejoicing.
In fact, a couple of the words I chose at the time wouldn't be described as joyful strains.
The experience aged me, I'm not feeling as young any more.
I certainly hope there's some wealth for my toil...
Ok. You win the thread for being the first person to ever shoehorn in the phrase "joyful strains". I have work to do.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Ok. You win the thread for being the first person to ever shoehorn in the phrase "joyful strains". I have work to do.
Thank you. I'll be here all week. Try the veal.