You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

ALL STARS

Indigenous players welcome decision to scrap anthem for All Stars
Author
Brad Walter & Joel Gould
Timestamp
Thu 6 Feb 2020, 05:01 PM
Share on social media
The ARL Commission has announced the national anthem will not be played at the All Stars match on the Gold Coast after accepting advice from the Australian Rugby League Indigenous Council.

In a statement released by the NRL, the Commission said it viewed the All Stars match as "an event unique to Indigenous Australians and the wishes of our players should be respected".

"This decision was made after extensive consultation with senior members of our indigenous playing groups and members of ARLIC."

ALRC Chairman Peter V’landys said it was an important role of the Commission to listen and consult with all players on issues that impact the game and individuals.

"The All Stars game was created as a celebration of Indigenous players and their culture," V’landys said.

"We have listened to our players’ concerns that the words of the anthem do not represent them or their families and does not include an acknowledgement of First Nations people.

"We respect their wishes and have agreed that the anthem will not be played at the All Stars match on February 22."

Dragons prop Josh Kerr proudly sung the national anthem before his Indigenous All Stars debut last season but he has welcomed the decision not to perform Advance Australia Fair at this year’s match.

Kerr’s view is one shared widely among the 12% of Indigenous players in the NRL, which led to the ARLC’s endorsing a recommendation from the ARL Indigenous Council that the national anthem no longer feature at All Stars matches.

Hear us. See us

Hear us. See us

Titans star Ryan James described the announcement from Thursday’s ARLC meeting as a "show of respect for our culture" and praised the commission for "backing the players".

"It is awesome for the Indigenous community and for our culture," James said.

Debate over Advance Australia Fair has been simmering since leading Indigenous players spoke out after electing not to sing it before last year’s All Stars match and during the State of Origin series.

For the players and many other Indigenous people involved in the game, it has been an issue for much longer and they believe most Australians will support the decision once it is explained.

"I have always stood up and honoured the anthem because I know a lot of people have fought and died or sacrificed a lot for that anthem but listening to the words and knowing where they come from it doesn’t seem right," Kerr said.

"The words say ‘for we are young and free’, but we are the oldest surviving culture in the world and let’s not forget that Indigenous people weren’t classified as humans until 1967.

"I know it is a very controversial topic but we need to be strong and we need to talk about these things."

James pointed out that when his mother, TerriLee, was born in 1960 "she wasn’t recognised as a human".

"I have come out publicly and said some of the lyrics in the song don’t represent myself and my family," James said. "We are not radical. We are not saying get rid of [the anthem]. We are just saying don’t play it at that one game."

Players discussed the anthem at an Indigenous leadership camp in December and their views were forwarded to a meeting of the ARL Indigenous Council, which is chaired by ACT Australian of the Year Katrina Fanning and includes the likes of Preston Campbell and Laurie Daley.

While they are prepared for an inevitable backlash to the ARL’s decision, the players insist they want other Australians to understand how they feel.

"I think a lot of people are just uneducated about why [Indigenous] people don’t sing the anthem and even the Australia Day debate and why people want to change it," Kerr said.

Injured All Stars forward Ryan James.©NRL Photos
"They just need to go out to one of the missions, hear stories from elders and understand what has happened to us in the past. Our families have suffered.

"I think people’s views are changing and I think it is that uncomfortable topic of conversation that we need to start having so that people understand."

Kerr, a Ngugi, Noonuckle and Geopul man of the Quandamooka nation in south-east Queensland, admitted his own views had changed after being called into the Indigenous team for last year’s All Stars match in Melbourne.

Many of the Indigenous players didn’t sing Advance Australia Far but Kerr sung as his proud parents, John and Angela, shed tears in the AAMI Park crowd.

"I appreciate all the boys discussing it," he said. "It’s something I grew up doing but as I have got older and more educated I understand now and if my brothers in the team don’t want to sing the anthem, they are the boys I am running out to play with and I’m going to war with them.

"We need to have a constructive conversation about why things need to change and explain to people our story because I think once people hear why we want to change it they will understand.

"My mother had to be given up for adoption because her mother couldn’t afford her. These were very different times and my nana wasn’t classed as a human being.

"My mother told me that she had brothers and uncles who would say they had middle-eastern origins because they didn’t want to be classified as Aborigines because there was still racism. I could never imagine what they went through.

"It is because of those people and their struggles that we want to have a voice and speak up and change things because they couldn’t back in their day. Now we have the opportunity to do that and the All Stars game put us on a big stage."

Rabbitohs recruit Latrell Mitchell added his voice to the cause via Instagram, posting a photo of himself in a shirt featuring the Aboriginal flag.

James, a Bundjalung man from the Northern Rivers of NSW, has educated himself about what happened on the frontier when Aboriginal people bravely fought back against overwhelming odds as their ancestral lands were taken by force.

"It was a war and they took our country. There was no terra nullius. It was just come in and take it. They said it wasn’t inhabited," he said.

"There was a lot of bravery but it is not a fair fight when it is guns against spears. A lot of people say the past is the past but you have to educate yourself about the past.

"There are a lot of other things that have happened in the background but as footy players we have a voice and we want to get a few little wins before the big wins happen.

"My mum has always taught me about our Indigenous heritage but you don’t really understand it until you get older. The older you get the more you realise how shocking some of [the history] really is. It is one of those things where education is truly the key."

James said "common sense" consideration and education should also make clear why celebrating Australia Day on January 26 was not acceptable to Indigenous people.

"If Australia got invaded recently and someone else took over the country, it would be like celebrating that day," he said.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If you think that is bad, if Souffs make the Grand Final half the team won't be singing the anthem.

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I understand and accept where they are coming from, but at the end of the day this is a form of sports, not politics. Don't use your status to push political issues.

In my opinion, if you don't sing the anthem, you don't deserve to play for that nation. Just look at the minnow/island nation's, they all get in and it shows how important their country is to them.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I understand and accept where they are coming from, but at the end of the day this is a form of sports, not politics. Don't use your status to push political issues.

In my opinion, if you don't sing the anthem, you don't deserve to play for that nation. Just look at the minnow/island nation's, they all get in and it shows how important their country is to them.
What about the fans who might have wanted to sing it. What's next no anthem at the State Of Origin, the Grand Final, International games?

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What about the fans who might have wanted to sing it. What's next no anthem at the State Of Origin, the Grand Final, International games?
Exactly. This only the beginning of the can of worms they have potentially opened.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Exactly. This only the beginning of the can of worms they have potentially opened.
That's the thing, they think letting this happen won't open them to want to change more things. Once you give them a sniff they ask for more and more. The NRL are just making a rod for their own back.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I won't be watching the shit! These c*nts are splitting the Nation in 2 and weak as piss pollies and so called leaders are too scared to stop it. I assume they're getting paid in Australian Dollars?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not sure why people have a problem with this.

The All Stars game was started by an Aboriginal to bring more recognition to the Aboriginal NRL players. Many Aboriginals have an issue with the fact that the Australia was founded on invasion.

I personally have no problem with the national anthem and I think it actually is inclusive for all Australians, but this is an indigenous founded game so demanding that they hear something they don't like during their game is just shit.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I'm not sure why people have a problem with this.

The All Stars game was started by an Aboriginal to bring more recognition to the Aboriginal NRL players. Many Aboriginals have an issue with the fact that the Australia was founded on invasion.

I personally have no problem with the national anthem and I think it actually is inclusive for all Australians, but this is an indigenous founded game so demanding that they hear something they don't like during their game is just shit.
I have a problem with this because of the political agenda behind it. IF it was just a footy match it would be ok. Politics in RL use to be hands off and an escape from the grinds of a working week and life in general but these guys are ruining it.

This is all part of the larger issue of our Country and this division they are creating/keeping. No-one alive was responsible for what happened to the Aboriginals and anyone who agree's with what did happen is a complete fukwit. We all agree it was fuked! Year after fukin year we are all meant to be constantly saying sorry for what happened. The PM officially saying sorry was meant to be that final gesture so we could all move on and live in this lucky Country we have as one. Move forwards and not backwards, we can't change anything. But it wasn't enough, it's never enough and it will never be enough.

Me my lot were forced here as convicts and the other half were Irish immigrants, hell I even have Jew mixed into the blood. What exactly am I suppose to be sorry for? Being born white or something? Do I expect anyone to say sorry for British cruelty to the Irish, The Brits for forcing us to another Country, Hitler/Germany for killing millions of Jews? Nope I just want to live my life, earn a dollar to keep my kids fed and have some fun.

I don't know anyone that committed atrocities 200 years ago, their all dead. That's how the fuking world was populated back then and for the whole existence of mankind, greedy empires taking over countries, it was survival of the meanest/cuntest. Humans are c*nts and have been killing everything possible for our entire existence, that certainly isn't going to change. None of us here are responsible for Australia's dark past so why do we have to keep paying a tab for it? If they played a game where it was Caucasians only what would happen?

I'm just so fukin sick of all this bullshit, we're all Australians.....humans. I'm a Patriot and I Served for this Country and not this destructive BS. I am open to the flag and Anthem changing but until it does this is it!

Hacky this was not directed at you mate, more just a platform to air my rant. Peace out.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I have a problem with this because of the political agenda behind it. IF it was just a footy match it would be ok. Politics in RL use to be hands off and an escape from the grinds of a working week and life in general but these guys are ruining it.

This is all part of the larger issue of our Country and this division they are creating/keeping. No-one alive was responsible for what happened to the Aboriginals and anyone who agree's with what did happen is a complete fukwit. We all agree it was fuked! Year after fukin year we are all meant to be constantly saying sorry for what happened. The PM officially saying sorry was meant to be that final gesture so we could all move on and live in this lucky Country we have as one. Move forwards and not backwards, we can't change anything. But it wasn't enough, it's never enough and it will never be enough.

Me my lot were forced here as convicts and the other half were Irish immigrants, hell I even have Jew mixed into the blood. What exactly am I suppose to be sorry for? Being born white or something? Do I expect anyone to say sorry for British cruelty to the Irish, The Brits for forcing us to another Country, Hitler/Germany for killing millions of Jews? Nope I just want to live my life, earn a dollar to keep my kids fed and have some fun.

I don't know anyone that committed atrocities 200 years ago, their all dead. That's how the fuking world was populated back then and for the whole existence of mankind, greedy empires taking over countries, it was survival of the meanest/cuntest. Humans are c*nts and have been killing everything possible for our entire existence, that certainly isn't going to change. None of us here are responsible for Australia's dark past so why do we have to keep paying a tab for it? If they played a game where it was Caucasians only what would happen?

I'm just so fukin sick of all this bullshit, we're all Australians.....humans. I'm a Patriot and I Served for this Country and not this destructive BS. I am open to the flag and Anthem changing but until it does this is it!

Hacky this was not directed at you mate, more just a platform to air my rant. Peace out.
All good mate. I like open rants.

I also see where you're coming from. I have a very select stance when it comes to the debate about racism, segregation and inclusion.

I believe that one of the main reasons for racism is that we still force segregation. But now days we force it the other way. This is done through ideas like, "we should recognise Aboriginals in the constitution" which suggests that we should treat Aboriginal Australians and non-Aboriginal Australians as different, and the recent University initiative to have Aboriginal only study areas.

To quote Morgan Freeman, "we get rid of racism when we stop talking about it" (paraphrasing)

If we constantly aim to treat people differently based on race then we're not making progress. We're just repeating the mistakes of the past.

That said, I believe in remembering the sins of the past to stop the sins of the future. If Aboriginal Australians have a problem with celebrating the day they were invaded, or celebrating the anthem of the invading force, then we should adjust because we're meant to be a country of inclusion. A country that works to include all cultures. Not just some cultures.

Plus, our National Anthem is pretty shit anyway.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I dont like our national anthem but I sing it proudly either way as it's me buying into all Australians having a single song. End of the day, there's no perfect song, so I deal with it!

The Indigenous players collectively choosing to not buy into it only continues to separate us all.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
All good mate. I like open rants.

I also see where you're coming from. I have a very select stance when it comes to the debate about racism, segregation and inclusion.

I believe that one of the main reasons for racism is that we still force segregation. But now days we force it the other way. This is done through ideas like, "we should recognise Aboriginals in the constitution" which suggests that we should treat Aboriginal Australians and non-Aboriginal Australians as different, and the recent University initiative to have Aboriginal only study areas.

To quote Morgan Freeman, "we get rid of racism when we stop talking about it" (paraphrasing)

If we constantly aim to treat people differently based on race then we're not making progress. We're just repeating the mistakes of the past.

That said, I believe in remembering the sins of the past to stop the sins of the future. If Aboriginal Australians have a problem with celebrating the day they were invaded, or celebrating the anthem of the invading force, then we should adjust because we're meant to be a country of inclusion. A country that works to include all cultures. Not just some cultures.

Plus, our National Anthem is pretty shit anyway.
The Anthem was written in like 1984 so it wasn't the "invading anthem". It isn't that great but at this stage it's what we have. All they are doing is killing the fixture and a chance to celebrate their culture, with the overwhelming majority over it and not going to watch the game you can bet the broadcaster will drop it like yesterdays news in the future. Was just looking at a poll of 70% out of 1700 so far saying they disagree. It was started 53 mins ago. Anyways, I've said my piece, I won't watch it and I love the Morgan Freeman quote! We wouldn't be talking about it if they just played footy.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score

by removing the anthem, they remove any potential protest by players on the day...and you know there would be one. If anything, they are taking politics out of the fixture by removing the anthem.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
by removing the anthem, they remove any potential protest by players on the day...and you know there would be one. If anything, they are taking politics out of the fixture by removing the anthem.
Didn't work because that's all anyone is talking about and killing their ratings.