Israel Folau has joined the Catalan Dragons

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I dunno :/ His "brand" has suffered severe reputational damage and is poison now with advertisers due to 30%? of the general public having very strong anti gay bashing views, 30%? having a view that he has the right to say what he likes and 40%? thinking what a dumb arse for wrecking your long term career and employment prospects for such a dumb reason.

Meanwhile he has made 10 million out of it so may be happy.

Who knows :grinning:
anti Christian*

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
anti Christian*
There's lots of anti christian in life ...but we manage :grinning:

A lot of people reckon just live and let live. Stop judging on others. They think doesn't affect me or impinge on my life so, if they aren't hurting anyone else, if they are good, decent people, I don't have to be involved, then I don't care what they do in the privacy of their own home.

Well that's my view. A lot can't be bothered worrying about it either.

There's a lot worse people out there.

Like those Idolators I'm most worried about!

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

A lot of people reckon just live and let live. Stop judging on others. They think doesn't affect me or impinge on my life so, if they aren't hurting anyone else, if they are good, decent people, I don't have to be involved, then I don't care what they do in the privacy of their own home.

I admit I don't agree with what Izzy did.. I don't believe there is a Hell and that homosexuals go there.. but what I also don't agree with, is this whole 'inclusiveness' crap because it seems to be a one way street.. if a Christian were offended, in the same way somebody in the LGBT community is over something, it's fair game.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Your post will make my baby Eugenie cry :sob::sob::sob:

SHIT. Cry. I just reminded myself of one of the most hideous things I've ever seen on this forum.

Cry.jpg
hahahahahha I had forgotten about Cry.

Remember that chick?

Wasn't that in like 2006/2007?

Man I have been on thekennel far too long lol

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score

I don't agree at all with what Folau posted online.

However, the continued bullying of Folau is far worse than anything he posted.

Even this long after his posts, he has football clubs in the Northern Hemisphere having 'crisis meetings' because they are so scared of having a player who actually speaks his mind instead of just towing the club line and shutting up.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
hahahahahha I had forgotten about Cry.

Remember that chick?

Wasn't that in like 2006/2007?

Man I have been on thekennel far too long lol
Yep. And I'm scarred for life... boy am I going to have nightmares tonight :'(

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Yep. And I'm scarred for life... boy am I going to have nightmares tonight :'(
lol what was your user name back then?

I've lost track of who is who around here.

Where is Habib? Aye Cee? Alex? Tina? Emsy?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
lol what was your user name back then?

I've lost track of who is who around here.

Where is Habib? Aye Cee? Alex? Tina? Emsy?
Wouldn't have any clues of where those guys are lol. Although Habib is Habs these days - rarely posts.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Liam Clafffey - an openly gay GM of Sheffield Eagles literally said this:

“I would’ve liked the RFL to have the discretion to say: ‘no you can’t sign him’,” he said.

“Last year they came out and said they wouldn’t let clubs sign Ben Barba. I don’t see what the change in attitude has been.

Bloke has fucking rocks in his head if he wants to compare physically abusing a woman, to a facebook post that hurt peoples feelings. To even think that these are in the same playing field... FMD. Some people are just stupid.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I don't agree at all with what Folau posted online.

However, the continued bullying of Folau is far worse than anything he posted.

Even this long after his posts, he has football clubs in the Northern Hemisphere having 'crisis meetings' because they are so scared of having a player who actually speaks his mind instead of just towing the club line and shutting up.
Not just crisis meetings. Threatening to sue Catalans if their club lose sponsors or if gate receipts down as a result of protests against Folau playing in their league.

Folau was naive in the extreme to even put it up if he didn't realise he'd get the kind of publicity he got. He got his 10 million so is laughing I guess.

Catalans, and any other club, anywhere, now know the consequences of signing him.

Was it worth it?

Totally a dumb arse move to me and he will be remembered as a mercenary who wrecked his career for a silly ideal IMHO.

If anything he focussed the attention of "probably" most of the public into thinking it's all been silly and not worth the hassle for a lifestyle he won't be changing any time soon.

Others can disagree and think what they like.

Only my opinion.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
RA has been for a number of years now. Michael Cheika jumped a sinking ship.
Exactly too much money overseas for quality union players. It’s clearly a mess and look who’s the CEO ha ha

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dunno :/ His "brand" has suffered severe reputational damage and is poison now with advertisers due to 30%? of the general public having very strong anti gay bashing views, 30%? having a view that he has the right to say what he likes and 40%? thinking what a dumb arse for wrecking your long term career and employment prospects for such a dumb reason.

Meanwhile he has made 10 million out of it so may be happy.

Who knows :grinning:
He is smart there would have been a lot of teams in both codes itching to sign him regardless of backlash he is a good player needs to shit up and play
Well played to him but

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Not just crisis meetings. Threatening to sue Catalans if their club lose sponsors or if gate receipts down as a result of protests against Folau playing in their league.

Folau was naive in the extreme to even put it up if he didn't realise he'd get the kind of publicity he got. He got his 10 million so is laughing I guess.

Catalans, and any other club, anywhere, now know the consequences of signing him.

Was it worth it?

Totally a dumb arse move to me and he will be remembered as a mercenary who wrecked his career for a silly ideal IMHO.

If anything he focussed the attention of "probably" most of the public into thinking it's all been silly and not worth the hassle for a lifestyle he won't be changing any time soon.

Others can disagree and think what they like.

Only my opinion.
Agree with you generally, except I seriously doubt he got anywhere near 10 million (although the final figure will come out eventually somewhere in the ARU's financials).

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

“I would’ve liked the RFL to have the discretion to say: ‘no you can’t sign him’,” he said.

“Last year they came out and said they wouldn’t let clubs sign Ben Barba. I don’t see what the change in attitude has been.

Bloke has fucking rocks in his head if he wants to compare physically abusing a woman, to a facebook post that hurt peoples feelings. To even think that these are in the same playing field... FMD. Some people are just stupid.

some people just think the world revolves around them

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Folau has literally done nothing wrong. However, they will treat him like a criminal and much worse than drink drivers and wife beaters.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Folau has literally done nothing wrong. However, they will treat him like a criminal and much worse than drink drivers and wife beaters.
All media driven by journo's who dont care if people end up dead, Foloau has a right to say what he thinks as a Christian, what the fuck do you think christian's think??
And Ms Castle has a right to do what she thinks is right as a CEO who hasn't been in this situation before.
There is no winner.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
When you say he’s done nothing wrong are you referring to him expressing his beliefs or a breach of contract?

Some important context is that his sacking from RA was based on a breach of contract where he had agreed to not publicly express defined sentiments - which he then went ahead and did, constituting a breach of contract.

It’s one thing to have an opinion on his right to express his beliefs, but it’s another thing entirely to suggest that’s what brought about his sacking from RA, because it wasn’t.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
When you say he’s done nothing wrong are you referring to him expressing his beliefs or a breach of contract?
Some important context is that his sacking from RA was based on a breach of contract where he had agreed to not publicly express defined sentiments - which he then went ahead and did, constituting a breach of contract.
It’s one thing to have an opinion on his right to express his beliefs, but it’s another thing entirely to suggest that’s what brought about his sacking from RA, because it wasn’t.
Plainly his contract with RA did not specifically prohibit what he posted (ie; he quoted the bible) because if it did then they would have been legally able to terminate his contract and pay him nothing. Once the court case was underway they realised that their claim for breach of contract was not clear cut and they in fact might not win the case. On the advice of their legal team they settled out of court and paid him some money, somewhere between nothing and what he was was claiming. Folau apologised for any hurt caused by what he posted but did not admit to breaching his contract. In turn RA apologised for any hurt or harm to Folau and his family.

No sacking and no breach of contract, just a mutual termination of the contract.

Go Dogs

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Plainly his contract with RA did not specifically prohibit what he posted (ie; he quoted the bible) because if it did then they would have been legally able to terminate his contract and pay him nothing. Once the court case was underway they realised that their claim for breach of contract was not clear cut and they in fact might not win the case. On the advice of their legal team they settled out of court and paid him some money, somewhere between nothing and what he was was claiming. Folau apologised for any hurt caused by what he posted but did not admit to breaching his contract. In turn RA apologised for any hurt or harm to Folau and his family.

No sacking and no breach of contract, just a mutual termination of the contract.

Go Dogs
That’s not what I was told by someone who knows (related to the event) and who, in fairness, offered very limited information due to NDA’s and being the professional they are. Inevitably there will be different views and that’s fine, I have no need to discuss it further, but it’s certainly different to your summary.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score

Go Dogs
If Folau's legal team was confident he had not breached his contract, they wouldn't have advised him to settle for considerably less and he would have proceeded with the case, followed through with the lawsuit, won and avoided the need to issue any sort of apology.

Your argument can easily be flipped on its head.