The Tennis Thread

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
ninety grand just for stepping up to Round 1? Those wildcards and qualifiers must be well sought after.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/ten...shield/ar-BBZuL53?li=AAgfYrC&ocid=mailsignout

Australian tennis legend Mark Woodforde has called out Ash Barty for bringing her baby niece along to her post-match press conference after her heartbreaking Australian Open semi final loss.

Barty introduced her baby niece to the media as a way of illustrating "perspective" to the disappointment the world No.1 felt after failing to go all the way.

While the perspective argument is perfectly valid, Woodforde criticised Barty for using a young child as a shield to deflect the tough questions that all tennis players face when they experience a difficult loss.

"It did (seem like a PR stunt)," Woodforde told Fox Sports News.

"She's a lovely young lady, we talk about how all Australians are embracing Ash because she's so humble and down to earth, but yes, I felt like maybe it was a way of deflecting some of the tough questions."

Woodforde argued that as the top player in the world Barty had a responsibility to the media, and by extension the public, to explain her losses.

While it's one of the less enjoyable aspects of being a professional tennis player, it can also be character building, steeling the mind for future challenges.

"As number one player in the world, the press want to know when you lose a match, why you've lost a match, they want you to bear your soul," Woodforde said.

"Ash has spoken over the tournament she's kind of sick of seeing her face on the billboards and the front pages.

"To try and explain what happened out there - I think having her niece sit on her knee was a way of maybe just healing some of those wounds... very unusual, maybe she'll learn next time.

"That's not to say not to do it, but it was a bit questionable."

Woodforde wasn't the only tennis commentator to deliver that critique, with the BBC's David Law telling The Tennis Podcast: "I don't think the baby should have been there.

"I think it is a place of work. It's an office space. We are there to ask questions and, as lovely a sight as it was on one hand, it's not really what's supposed to go on."

As part of the discussion on that podcast tennis analyst Matt Roberts accused Barty of using "a deflection" and "a prop" to avoid difficult questions.

Sports broadcaster Catherine Whittaker agreed, joking the child had acted like a "human shield" but said it was unlikely it had been calculated in that way by Barty.

Rather, she argued, it was a genuine act to help herself feel better as opposed to a tactic to guard herself from a grilling.
"I don't necessarily think it has to be a conscious thought and I think she can have had that thought process in a less sinister way than perhaps we would see it," Whitaker said.

"She just thinks, 'This is a distraction for me' — but the thing is, it's also a distraction for everybody else and not very helpful.

"It's not appropriate in the workplace. I don't think that makes her a terrible person for doing it — somebody should have stopped her doing it, probably.

"I don't know what the circumstances are but it was really weird."

Wahesh

Reaction score
I really didn't pick Mark Woodforde out to being a whinger. Just STFU you idiot...

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/ten...shield/ar-BBZuL53?li=AAgfYrC&ocid=mailsignout

Australian tennis legend Mark Woodforde has called out Ash Barty for bringing her baby niece along to her post-match press conference after her heartbreaking Australian Open semi final loss.

Barty introduced her baby niece to the media as a way of illustrating "perspective" to the disappointment the world No.1 felt after failing to go all the way.

While the perspective argument is perfectly valid, Woodforde criticised Barty for using a young child as a shield to deflect the tough questions that all tennis players face when they experience a difficult loss.

"It did (seem like a PR stunt)," Woodforde told Fox Sports News.

"She's a lovely young lady, we talk about how all Australians are embracing Ash because she's so humble and down to earth, but yes, I felt like maybe it was a way of deflecting some of the tough questions."

Woodforde argued that as the top player in the world Barty had a responsibility to the media, and by extension the public, to explain her losses.

While it's one of the less enjoyable aspects of being a professional tennis player, it can also be character building, steeling the mind for future challenges.

"As number one player in the world, the press want to know when you lose a match, why you've lost a match, they want you to bear your soul," Woodforde said.

"Ash has spoken over the tournament she's kind of sick of seeing her face on the billboards and the front pages.

"To try and explain what happened out there - I think having her niece sit on her knee was a way of maybe just healing some of those wounds... very unusual, maybe she'll learn next time.

"That's not to say not to do it, but it was a bit questionable."

Woodforde wasn't the only tennis commentator to deliver that critique, with the BBC's David Law telling The Tennis Podcast: "I don't think the baby should have been there.

"I think it is a place of work. It's an office space. We are there to ask questions and, as lovely a sight as it was on one hand, it's not really what's supposed to go on."

As part of the discussion on that podcast tennis analyst Matt Roberts accused Barty of using "a deflection" and "a prop" to avoid difficult questions.

Sports broadcaster Catherine Whittaker agreed, joking the child had acted like a "human shield" but said it was unlikely it had been calculated in that way by Barty.

Rather, she argued, it was a genuine act to help herself feel better as opposed to a tactic to guard herself from a grilling.
"I don't necessarily think it has to be a conscious thought and I think she can have had that thought process in a less sinister way than perhaps we would see it," Whitaker said.

"She just thinks, 'This is a distraction for me' — but the thing is, it's also a distraction for everybody else and not very helpful.

"It's not appropriate in the workplace. I don't think that makes her a terrible person for doing it — somebody should have stopped her doing it, probably.

"I don't know what the circumstances are but it was really weird."
TBH, i found it a bit weird - not weird enough to be bothered to make a big deal out of it (it's up the baby's parents at the end of the day if they are ok with it), but i also apply this to all sportspeople, politicians etc.

But i'm also a pretty private person when it comes to exposure of my own child. There's like maybe half a dozen photos of him on social media and that's it.

Last edited:

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Barty = overhyped

Kyrgios lol

Australian tennis has not been good for a long time.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
My girl kenin WINS baby..!!!!!!!! Yehaaa enjoy the title and your 4.1 something mill for your win too :hearteyes::hearteyes:

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
My girl kenin WINS baby..!!!!!!!! Yehaaa enjoy the title and your 4.1 something mill for your win too :hearteyes::hearteyes:
She is so tough when she is down break points or set points.. It’s this resolve that makes her so hard to beat.. Barty experienced it and so too Muguruza..

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
She is so tough when she is down break points or set points.. It’s this resolve that makes her so hard to beat.. Barty experienced it and so too Muguruza..
Man, your so correct... breaks points alright, and waits to pounce!! You could tell after Muguruza won the first set she was slowly coming back an wearing her down, it was like it was kinda her plan, such an awesome young champ, deserved every accolade. She will be up there for many years.

Wahesh

Reaction score
I'm glad Kenin won. She's an awesome player and took her opportunity with hands and never looked back. She's also rather humble too, so I'm glad she won.

Muguruza was also quite humble in defeat.

This is what I like Tennis to be about... THE GAME. Keep all the social politics and finger pointing out of it and enjoy the game.

Last edited:

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm glad Kenin won/ She's an awesome player and took her opportunity with hands and never looked back. She's also rather humble too, so I'm glad she won.

Muguruza was also quite humble in defeat.

This is what I like Tennis to be about... THE GAME. Keep all the social politics and finger pointing out of it and enjoy the game.
Ooh I know where I’d like to point my finger at Muguruza.. :D

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Thiem is good, but still prefer the joker to win this, got a hard battle to face if he wants it. And looks like he’s not in it mentally or physically like Dominic is.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
That’s some serious resolve and ticker to win the 4th from the Djoker.

He’s clearly not right but battling on admirably.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
And Novak wins the open.. 8 in a row from the joker ..!!!! Yea baby.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

King of the Australian Open Navak Djokovic :hearteyes::smiley: